Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

HcDoom wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 am It takes unusually long. HD mod was announced like 3 to 4 years ago, not sure exactly, but its long time.
If you were around, you know that Andy is not known for a rapid development pace. That said, his plugins are great, have very little bugs, but if there are Andy is quick to correct them.
I am also waiting for the Glue 2.0, and for quite a while drifted away from the Glue. But just recently sort of rediscovered the plugin, it is a very precise and "robust" compressor. I created my own mixing template with tweaked summing, so I get a lot of color from it, and in this context the clean and transparent sound of the Glue fits very nicely.

+1

There's a tendency to think that because it's an old plugin it must be behind current advancements in DSP tech. Seems like more modern bus comps like Pulsar Mu and Unisum are starting to overshadow The Glue, but I just cannot overlook this thing - it's still impressive as hell. Double-precision internal processing, zero aliasing, offline render oversampling, external sidechain, fully scalable GUI etc etc. Andy got it right, a long time ago. Some devs are still catching up.

Regarding the long times between updates... I guess he has a dayjob? He seems focused on The Scream right now and has been updating The Drop more frequently. I think the big update with come in a whole new version of The Glue. Hopefully it will put it right back in the spotlight where it belongs.

The HD mode wasn't so much announced / promised but more I confirmed after a customer asked if I would be including all the new modelling I worked on for The Scream in other products like The Glue. I always recommend purchasing plugins based on what they are now, and be happy that is all they will be.

Cytomic is just me, with help on the business side from my wife. So when customer's can't run their software for whatever reason then I'm the one that needs to fix it. Anything from the web page going down, to new operating system changes, to DAWs breaking things, to working around virus scanners or firewall issues, you name it, it happens, and I need to try and fix it so the plugins work and people can get on with making music.

Cytomic is more than a full time job for me, but I also like to have a good work / life balance, and when my family needs me I like to be there for them. I also like to have existing plugins work properly and elegantly with the moving target of the ever changing landscape of new operating systems and new security requirements and changes to DAWs, and even changes to screen resolutions (retina etc). The Glue is now over 11 years old, and still going strong, but it takes time and effort to keep it working smoothly.

I've very happy with all the R&D I've done, and new algorithms I've developed for efficient analog modelling, which have been partially released in The Scream beta, but will be released in full with the full version of The Scream. All that work has paved the way for new things that will come, but it all takes time.

And yes, I'm slow at getting things done, between family and Cytomic and I'm spread a bit thin at times, so everything takes time. My jobs off the top of my head are: business manager, third party licensing manager, product design, user interface design and coding, internal plugin framework design and coding (eg ARM support), external framework updates (eg Juce), bug fixing, installers and packaging, manuals, support, audio demos, videos, web design and development, web backend and authorisation server maintenance, testing and QA, oh, and even sometimes writing some DSP and doing DSP R&D, and even posting on forums every now and then :)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

All cool Andy!

and he's smart too!

Anyone have issues with the installer for 1.4? I'm trying to update, and it got hung up twice in a row after clinking on "agree."

The manual could do with some English language corrections.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm The manual could do with some English language corrections.
Think of it if you're Andy. Where does the manual need corrections? Non-specific feedback isn't necessarily helpful. If there are passages in the manual where something isn't clear or grammatically correct, it would be more helpful to point out which ones.

Think of it if you're a Customer. Blah, blah, blah ...

I noticed quite a few errors. Too many for me to start making a list. At the end of the day, it would be easier for the developer to read through and make corrections. I was reading the manual to learn from it. If there are sentences that are not clear to me, how would I know if my thoughts about a particular sentence are correct? Think about it.

There may be errors, but it is one if the best manuals I have seen for a plugin, I learnt a lot from reading it.

So basically this?

Customer: "There is a bug. Please review all the code and fix it."

Developer: "Can you describe the bug? Tell me about your system? Provide some details? Point out where and how it occurs maybe? Steps to reproduce?"

Customer: "No. It's YOUR bug. You fix it."

Yeah, super helpful.

/s

Even just saying "this particular passage didn't make sense to me and could perhaps be more clear" and pointing the passage out could at least be constructive and lead to resolution. Also, Andy doesn't use the American spelling for things so Authorize (US) becomes Authorise. So if that's what you're seeing, those aren't errors.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:04 pm So basically this?

Customer: "There is a bug. Please review all the code and fix it."

Developer: "Can you describe the bug? Tell me about your system? Provide some details? Point out where and how it occurs maybe? Steps to reproduce?"

Customer: "No. It's YOUR bug. You fix it."

Yeah, super helpful.

/s

Even just saying "this particular passage didn't make sense to me and could perhaps be more clear" and pointing the passage out could at least be constructive and lead to resolution. Also, Andy doesn't use the American spelling for things so Authorize (US) becomes Authorise. So if that's what you're seeing, those aren't errors.
TL;DR

Did they all live happily ever after?

11 years, wow.
I still think of The Glue as a new comer even though I bought in from almost day 1
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 pm 11 years, wow.
I still think of The Glue as a new comer even though I bought in from almost day 1
I know right? I have "newer" SSL Buss Comp plugins, but The Glue still gets regular use on the Drum Bus here. The new update looks great. The cleaner preset bar and resize icon just make it look more slick. Looking forward to all things Cytomic in the future.

I bought The Glue when it first came out too. And all this time later it still gets used regular.

Im also a UAD owner but prefer the glue over their SSL

Return to “Effects”