Knagalis EMM previous tests

Official support for: nusofting.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ahhh, that's totally my mistake. :oops: I will fix that menu and also make possible to use more than 99 sets, up to 128 files. ;)

Regards, WilliamK

NEW UPDATE 0.22

We just uploaded the new update for Knagalis-EMM.

- Finally fixed the NOISE problem (was causing loud explosions on the Reverber) is not going to happen again.

- The new SoundSets are included on the FULL installer.

- MicroTuning menu shows up to 128 files in 4 rows. (depending on your screen-resolution)

Let us know how this goes.

Best Regards, WilliamK and Luigi Felici (Liqih)

interesting thought McL...

but I would think there could be a prob with changing the drone automatically to match the root note.... especially with splits... then again when the drone is set to sync, it really could be a good idea...
When in split mode, changing the root note should have little or no noticeable effect at all, since the drone note is selected and played manually. However, in either Sync or Free modes, I really think the root note should automatically tune the drone to the root, just as it is with a traditional bagpipe. Of course, you can always use the "semitone" and "fine tune" controls to alter it from there, if you want to do something unconventional.

As for the other instruments, I know far less about their traditional tunings, and I can't say much about those. It's quite possible that they would also benefit from this, but I just don't know for sure. Someone more accustomed to those instruments would need to discuss that.

later,
McLilith

Personally, I love the new "scale" menu. However, I just wanted to mention that it won't open for me with a screen resolution of less than 1024x768. Fortunately, I always use 1024x768 on my system. However, there might be other people that still use 800x600, or heaven-forbid 640x480. (I feel sorry for them.)

If you leave it like it is, there should be a mention made of it in the "minumum system requirments", so a potential user will know about it. I doubt that it would be a big issue for most people. Aren't all the new notebook and desktop LCD screens at least 1024x768 these days? Those notebook users have traditionally been the ones that had the most problems with applications needing a certain screen resolution or color depth. If they can handle it, then it should be no problem for a typical desktop user with a CRT monitor.

later,
McLilith

Hi dear betatesters

today I walked 5 hours on the mountains here in north Italy,
it was wonderfull, but now I got pain in my legs and I'm tired as never was <grin>,

but here some replies to your interesting messages, name by name,

btw the noise bug seems gone thanks to master William,
next beta should feature that lack of explosion.
[edit: beta is out now]

metalsvinet:

I checked your jpg, thanks, I agree that the wood box pic wastes some screen space,
but I like to see that since it gives me a different (good) feeling toward the plugs.
I think we could ask some more users to see their response.

the word ethnic, this is a convention, as every name, if you extrapolate from the context it changes meaning, in music language it has a definite meaning, like the silly label world music,
we should stay with the conventions to be understandable,

moreover words like exotic, foreigner, non western, are even worst IMHO,
ethnic can mean "specific to a particular people culture" and that's not wrong,
just my opinion anyway.

Ford Prefect:

sample packs yes, as SoundSets libraries, so to keep plug price low
and allow users to buy only the needed sound,

poly module is just an idea so far, since I don't like the standard
sample players, I hope to make something more expressive next,
otherwise it would be just a sample player like you can have
with Kontakt or Halion loaded with "ethnic" samples.

max:

thanks for saying it's a great idea! <grin>

about the other rar files inside the new SoundSets,
I juts forgot them, anyway EMM ignore them,
simply delete those extra files, thanks

about numbering scheme, that's not a problem for EMM,
it picks the right order

McLilith:

your drums idea is very interesting,
I have to study the issue since I don't know much about drums
in bagpipe bands.

pough:

knagalis means nothings except that I like that name <grin>
anyway the first name is EMM,
btw the pronouciation Rob suggest is good (and fun),
yes I will include a Drone saying : knagalis knagalis knagalis knagalis.. LOL

McLilith and max:

yes the Drone could automaticaly match the Root note,
but just if not in Split mode,

but I think that forcing user to do that by hand
adds consciousness to the harmonic process <grin>
or should not a plug do stuff like that? LOL

about matching the standard bagpipe tuning changing SoundSets,
e.g. A for Highlands one,
I think it's too complex for most users,
much better to have presets saving that,
remeber that SoundSets are slave of VST presets.

12-Equal Temperament.txt, add a copy named "-12-Equal Temperament.txt"
and you got it top of the list, don't delete 12-Equal Temperament.txt though.

For shenai, I'm searching for good samples.
Last edited by liqih on Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

This was actually a bit talk on the VST-List for some time. Is a Windows problem actually, some Windows versions doesn't have this bug. And yes, we will put the info on the DOCs. ;)

Regards, WilliamK

Ford Prefect wrote:On the instances issue with FL Studio again...If I save a tune with say 3 or 4 instances...upon loading, the very last instance does not load and I get the error "fruity wrapper caused an error in loading state"...something like that...try loading this...
instance
This problem has not yet occurred again with .22 :)

about matching the standard bagpipe tuning changing SoundSets,
e.g. A for Highlands one,
I think it's too complex for most users,
much better to have presets saving that,
remeber that SoundSets are slave of VST presets.
:D When I suggested that the bagpipes should automatically default to a more common root note for bagpipes, I didn't mean you had to re-edit the samples. :D

All we need is a "default preset" that automatically drops the Drone to the proper pitch, via rotating the "semi Tone" control, and selects the proper root note in the "root note" menu. The end user can easily alter this if they desire. I just think it would be nice if the "default" settings for each instrument reflected what those instruments would typically be like in real life. I think a person looking into an ethnic instrument VSTi whould be aware that they are normally tuned different than a combo organ, or something.

I readily admit this is more of a design philosphy, and not a bug. I certainly can't make the decision for you, but if it were to be something to vote upon, you now know how I would vote. :)

As for the drone pitch not changing to match the root note, I would consider that a definite "usability bug". I really think that should be changed. I doubt that it will be often that someone wants to set the root note to "A flat" and keep the drone on a "C" note, but if that need arrises, it wouldn't be hard to adjust the "Semi Tone" knob appropriately for those few occassions. (Or save them as user presets.)

take care,
McLilith

Hurray for William and Ligih... nice and fast work guys! off to get the new full installer right now .... thanks for all the advice and improvemets! This is gonna be a really 'killer' plugin by release time. Off to get the new beta and install

just keep saying nag alice, nag alice, nag alice.... :cry: :roll: :arrow: :wink:

liqih wrote:
12-Equal Temperament.txt, add a copy named "-12-Equal Temperament.txt"
and you got it top of the list, don't delete 12-Equal Temperament.txt though.

For shenai, I'm searching for good samples.
hmmm trying this with the new beta install but naming a copy to -12- still don't seem to force it to the top of the list...

I now understand the numbers indicate the number of tones in the scale, ok... kewl... are there other rules that must be used to just name the txt files? I mean does the name get used by the synth to set things???

:!: whoops... ok just running the 2.2 beta from the full exe installer.... there is a problem with the shenai on the C4 D4 notes and maybe the E4... and maybe others but at least on those... I can reproduce it by going to say the sitar and back to the shenai .... very consistently bad and noise sounds on those notes... sounds at least like bad sample files... loop points or something.... I was playing the equal temperment scale, but after having tried a few others... drone was on sync and not much else had been touched really This is not the Nuclear Noise but is a bad noise also ah but this time my volume was WAY down thankfully :P

btw I see to recall a decent shenai sample set from somewhere in the last few months... will see if I can locate it.

damnit! ok forgot to mention in last post... host is Chainer again... but now I quit it and then launched again and repeated all steps and can't get the shenai to make the 'bad' sounds.... I will just have to keep an ear out and see if I can find what did that. Sorry for the alarm on the one hand, but there may still be something funny going on that only happens after moving some setting... I'll try to go slow and remember exactly any changes.

liqih wrote: metalsvinet:

I checked your jpg, thanks, I agree that the wood box pic wastes some screen space,
but I like to see that since it gives me a different (good) feeling toward the plugs.
I think we could ask some more users to see their response.

the word ethnic, this is a convention, as every name, if you extrapolate from the context it changes meaning, in music language it has a definite meaning, like the silly label world music,
we should stay with the conventions to be understandable,

moreover words like exotic, foreigner, non western, are even worst IMHO,
ethnic can mean "specific to a particular people culture" and that's not wrong,
just my opinion anyway.
point taken

i'd be interested to hear how others feel about the gui

metalsvinet wrote:i'd be interested to hear how others feel about the gui
apart from the niggles i mentioned earlier in this thread i like it - i know what you mean about the 'wood' surround - but it fits with the mood of the instrument and isnt THAT intrusive

slainte :P rob

the GUI is pretty much fine with me... smooth turning big knobs... easy on the fingers... :lol: the wood? ah well not a major concern really... all in all a nice GUI... a little too hi-lighted on the top title name but maybe that can be darkend a tad.... I do like the new way of listing scales... much better and faster to access them... nice going William...

Return to “NUSofting”