Augustus Loop Start Stop with Host

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI fellow looping people,
is there any way to have Augustus Loop Start and Stop Playback or Record with a Host(ALoop would be synced to Host Tempo)?
AL
Aloop rocks!
If it works don't fix it unless you have to update it, then if it doesn't work don't fix it unless it belongs to your Wife,then at that point bury it!

I think the answer is basically 'no', unless you're remotely controlling the host, and can use the same control to simultaneously control AL.

What host would you be using? Can you explain more fully the scenario in which this would be useful?

cheers,
os.

os wrote:I think the answer is basically 'no', unless you're remotely controlling the host, and can use the same control to simultaneously control AL.

What host would you be using? Can you explain more fully the scenario in which this would be useful?

cheers,
os.
Hi os,
I would be using Augustus Loop with Ableton Live 7

I would like to be able to start and stop playback in Ableton and have Aloop
'chase' Live.

For Example

1. Live is stopped and Aloop(also stopped) would be set to Sync to Host

2. Live starts playing and Aloop is 'chase' locked to Live's Tempo

3. Audio is captured in Aloop and Aloop is now playing back that audio in sync with Ableton

4. Live is Stopped and Aloop playback is also stopped.

5. I get up to get a draught

5a.I come back to my dandy Random-Access recording rig

6. Live's playback is started and Augustus Loop starts playback of the audio from step 3

7. I decide to save the audio from step 3 and it's start point coincides with the beginning of a measure in my Live session that was used for this experiment

8. I import the audio from step 3 into a Prot5ools session of the same Tempo/Meter of the Live session used earlier and I can't decide if it was more inspiration or perspiration

I am a guitarist. I do sessions for television as well as Live gig work.
I am basically looking for a Random-Access,Hands-Free,Elegant OSX solution.

Augustus Loop is very cool, and I appreciate the Running Linear Tape Machine paradigm....

I can Imagine a looper could be very useful that is totally Random-Access and non-linear(like me I guess)!
In any case, your work is quite inspirational and I find Augustus Loop a great deal of fun to play with.
Thanks,
AL

p.s. are you familiar with MOTU's POLAR? Digital Performer's applet POLAR implements some of this functionality but it is not nearly as colorful as Augustus is...
If we could stop and start Aloop and say it was the Master clock, we would have a computer based on the fly looper to build everything else from that Musical,tempo inspiration!
If it works don't fix it unless you have to update it, then if it doesn't work don't fix it unless it belongs to your Wife,then at that point bury it!

Thanks for the lengthy explanation.

What you ask ought to be possible to add, though you could fake it up by hitting Freeze Loop, fading down the channel, and just leaving Live running while you go get your draught.

You might also want to check out my Crossfade Loop Synth Effect, which works on more of a sample/playback paradigm, and so lends itself better to being stopped. If I'm honest you might also want to check out the more traditional looping plug-ins that are available e.g. SooperLooper.

I'm familiar with POLAR. It's a cool tool, though it's a while since I've used it.

You can use AL as the master clock - there's another thread running on this forum about that right now:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232090

HI os,
thanks for your honest response.
I am currently using Sooperlooper and it is pretty cool. Each looping tool has it's pros and cons and bugs. I suppose that I am just hoping for that software Repeater to be released along with the cool sonic character of AL and the open-source collaboration of SooperLooper with the MIDI sync lock up of the Lexicon Jamman and lets not forget the EDP for the Gee Wiz Manual and POLAR'S tight integration into a solid DAW Platform.
AS you see I need a looper to help me with my run-on sentence creations!
I do appreciate the work that you are doing,
thanks,
AL

Return to “Expert Sleepers”