Can I sync Live to Augustus Looper?

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm, interesting.

The manual section for this bit (page 27, right?) is a bit light on detail, you're right. Basically it's setting up what MIDI messages Augustus sends out at various times:
- MIDI start/MIDI continue/none
- MIDI stop/none
- MIDI clock/none

So by changing 'stop' to 'none' you've stopped Augustus sending a MIDI stop message when you first click Tap Rec.

I have a nasty feeling I know what the problem is, and it's a bug in Live. Let me do some tests and get back to you.

Thanks for your perseverance!

OK, I was right.

I was perhaps a little unfair in laying the blame entirely at Live's door - there is a bug in Live (more on that in a moment) but I think the problem would still happen if Live were fixed. That said, this isn't strictly speaking a bug in Augustus either. Read on...

So - Audio Units are supposed to be reset by the host when playback starts. Live, for some reason, resets them when playback stops. (This is the Live bug.) Now, resetting Augustus Loop means turning off Tap Record. So what we have is

Tap Rec pressed -> MIDI clock stop sent -> Live's transport stops -> plug-ins reset -> Tap Rec cancelled -> very short loop

The reason you don't see this problem every time is that you probably sometimes hit Tap Rec for the first time with Live's transport stopped, in which case the above doesn't come into play.

I think what I should do is add an option to Augustus to ignore the reset messages. However, in the meantime you have two perfectly good workarounds:
- disable the MIDI clock stop messages, as you've done, or
- use the VST version (which doesn't have this reset business going on at all)

Does that all make sense?

Thanks again for your patience in helping me work this through, I really appreciate it.

os wrote: Does that all make sense?

Thanks again for your patience in helping me work this through, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for explaining. I just bought a licence. Later, I might have some more questions about the filter etc. but for the moment I'm happy just playing :hihi:

Axl

os wrote:I think what I should do is add an option to Augustus to ignore the reset messages.
This is added in Augustus Loop v2.0.1, now released.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”