V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The "Bad License" Issue :-(

It has been a major pain-in-the-#@&% for many, and no one seemed to know why.....

Recent, I stumbled onto to some info online concerning the Classic Keys Disk. the rest is from the V-Machine user manual sections 2-12 to 2-16:

1) If you are using or trying to load the "Classic Keys Disk" VSTs into VFX and then into the V-Machine, I read online somewhere that it has to be the Classic Keys Disk that actually came with that specific V-Machine. ....meaning, a specific Disk is "coded" to the specific V-Machine, and will not work on other V-Machines. Good grief! ....that just seems "security-extreme" to me.... (gotta luv it) :-(

2) Most free plug-ins will load easily. Other plug-ins are licensed versions that require a "Wizard File" in the VFX client to authorize the plug-in to be loaded into the machine. In the good 'ol days when the SM Pro Website actually was "up" (live), the VFX software would actually go online (w/ internet connection) and search their support server for a suitable Wizard File for the plug-in (which it can't do anymore). There is now a third-party support site where you can get the updated Wizard File Database file to use in VFX at http://bahmi.com/vmachine/. There are some tutorials on creating, using, and loading Wizard files on You Tube. Search "V-Machine Wizard File" on YouTube.

3) Free or not, or wizard file needed or not, ...some plug-ins also require entries loaded into the Windows registry or .dll files put in specific folders (on a regular Windows computer). In this case, this also has to happen somehow when loading this kind of plug-in into the V-Machine. I have heard it can be done (the machine's firmware/op-system is Linux Wine), but requires knowing how to do it. I had read somewhere about this, but can't remember the reference (sorry).

4) Some plug-ins may be limited to loading specific versions. This is true. Example: ver 1.2 might require one Wizard file, and ver 1.3 of the same plug-in may require a "different" (separate) Wizard file (go figure...).

5) Some newer revisions of plug-ins won't work. The VB3 organ from GSi is simply a VST. The V-Machine will work well with version 1.3 (the version during the V-Machine hey-day, 2008-2011), and 1.4. It will not work with the newly released VB3 II (I already asked the programmer Guido Scognamiglio).

6) The V-Machine runs older VST, VSTi, DX (Win only), AU (Mac only), and RTAS. ...and they have to be 32-bit (not 64-bit). Other plug-ins could be either the wrong type, ...or they could be newer/more complex, or just more resource-intensive.
Chuck :violin:
All the world's a stage, …and everything's basically frequencies in one way or another. ~Nicolas Tesla Rachmaninoff~
Pieces of my brain keep falling out. No problem, I just keep picking them up and putting them back in.

Dear community,
I am not sure if anybody still reads this thread or uses a V-Machine at all. I have a defect V-Machine with a faulty motherboard. I figured out this is actually a VIA Epia P700-12L pico-ITX PC. I got a replacement second-hand (verified working as a PC), and replaced it in my V-Machine. But now it writes on booting: "Startup timeout. Disconnect USB devices then restart" even without any USB device attached. An erasestick did not solve the issue either. Any ideas?

Did you boot into Linux with your test? As far as I know the V-machine is not running Windows… There might also be a different firmware/BIOS on the board…

From June 14 but...
I have a parts V-machine here that I'd let go (very cheap), motherboard should be good. Actually, it may just be a matter of wipe/re-install get's this going (use the upgrade installer files here: https://bahmi.com/vmachine/ )

PM me

I still super-enjoy the V-Machine. As long as you understood the limitations and adhered to the (very many) less-taxing, low-cost/free VSTs out there you can have some serious fun. OP-x, Mtron, etc.
lcsaszar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:14 pm Dear community,
I am not sure if anybody still reads this thread or uses a V-Machine at all. I have a defect V-Machine with a faulty motherboard. I figured out this is actually a VIA Epia P700-12L pico-ITX PC. I got a replacement second-hand (verified working as a PC), and replaced it in my V-Machine. But now it writes on booting: "Startup timeout. Disconnect USB devices then restart" even without any USB device attached. An erasestick did not solve the issue either. Any ideas?

Hi community,
My first post here. Hope anyone is still reading this long thread. I have been using a V-Machine for a couple of years now. I mainly use it for my hobby band.
Yes, the V-Machine is underpowered. It was released in 2008 and is not designed for modern plugins.
Yes, it is no longer supported. A CPU upgrade would be nice. An updates OS with a newer Wine version would be nice too. Alas.
Yes, the wizard files are a pain and not very user-fiendly. There are no error messages if anything goes wrong.
But I like my V-Machine. I prefer gigging with a V-Machine to using a laptop.
My preferred plugins are:
- VB3 (best organ plugin, version 1 as version 2 is 64-bit)
- Synth1 (free VA synth, great sound and lots of soundbanks available, like Mr Wobble)
- Samplelord (sampler, I use it to load a bunch of soundfonts). SFZ is a free alternative.
- MiniMonsta (great for synth leads)
- Cobalt (wavetable synth)
- DPiano-E (electric piano)
- plus a collection of freeware plugins
Can I recommend the V-Machine? Absolutely not. But mine is a keeper.
Any suggestions for must-have plugins are welcome.

Taurus By Smartelectronix has a pretty nice sound for how old and antiquated it is .

OBXd can be used if you run an older copy (pre 2.4 I think ) turn off hq filter and limit poly and unison to six notes and it works pretty well for me .

Last but certainly not least Phutura is a pretty nice Alpha Juno emulation that’s pretty low demand .
Cheers .

Hi all, my first post in this forum.

After testing with a LOT of CF and SD cards, I have found the correct procedure to make them work as storage disk on the V-Machine without the Startup Timeout problem:

1. Connect the card to a PC with Windows.
2. Go to Disk Manager and erase all partitions from the card.
3. Wait a few seconds until Windows assigns a drive letter to the card (don’t create a new partition!). Be sure you finish this step having a drive unit without partitions but with an assigned drive letter.
4. Search and download “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool”.
5. Run it with Administrator rights.
6. Select the empty card, select Fat32, and format it. For any reason, this software only works with a card attached to an external reader. In my case, it doesn't recognizes the card if I introduce it in my laptop internal SD card reader. Don't ask me why...
7. Remove the card safely and put it into the V-Machine.
8. Now insert the USB memory stick on the PC.
9. Go to the Disk Manager and erase all partitions from the memory stick.
10. Create a new partition into the memory stick and format it with Fat32.
11. Search and download “Win32 Disk Imager” and install it.
12. Run the Win32 Disk Imager program and select the "V2EraseStick.img" file.
13. Select the memory stick device and press Write.
14. When the process finishes, remove the memory stick safely and insert it into the V-Machine.
15. Turn the V-Machine on and wait until the install process finishes. Be sure the memory stick light is not flashing.
16. Turn the V-Machine off, remove the memory stick, and turn it on.
17. Enjoy it!

I’m pretty sure this procedure will make ANY CF or SD card work with the V-Machine. The reason some people is reporting it works with some CFs and it doesn’t with others is the pre-format that some cards have.

I hope it helps.

lcsaszar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:14 pm Dear community,
Probably it's due to the disk hasn't been prepared correctly. See my post above.
Cheers.

I think you will like my V-Machine mod.
Now, it's running on a 32GB ultra fast and externally removable SD card. With more than 6GB of banks inside it's only at 22% of storage space.
And I can easily remove it to add new banks or pluggins without using the slow USB interface.
It also allows having different SD cards, so you can configure each one with the specific banks you need for this day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Might someone be able to upload a photo of what the AC adapter looks like? Ive got a V-Machine that got separated from its power adapter, and I have a box full of power adapters, and while I know anything with the right spec will work, I'd like to mate it up with the one that came with it, if possible. So if I knew what that one looked like, I probably have it somewhere in that box...

anotherscott wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:26 am Might someone be able to upload a photo of what the AC adapter looks like? Ive got a V-Machine that got separated from its power adapter, and I have a box full of power adapters, and while I know anything with the right spec will work, I'd like to mate it up with the one that came with it, if possible. So if I knew what that one looked like, I probably have it somewhere in that box...
Here you have it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks! Well, that's an obvious one, it says it right on the adapter! That's not in my box o' adapters, it must have disappeared somewhere else. But at least the complete specs are clearly legible right on that label, so I can be sure of what I need as a substitute. :-)

asilgado wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:25 pm I think you will like my V-Machine mod.
Any info ?
Specific pcmcia to sd card adaptor ( I assume).
Did you run into any issues etc ?

BTW I just like the Gif (and movie) not asking in that serious of a tone . Cheers !

loungedumore wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:17 pm
asilgado wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:25 pm I think you will like my V-Machine mod.

Any info ?
Specific pcmcia to sd card adaptor ( I assume).
Did you run into any issues etc ?
BTW I just like the Gif (and movie) not asking in that serious of a tone . Cheers !

LOL! No worries, I just wasn't sure if anyone was still reading this.

SD to IDE adapter.
280482674_1609110382821461_1602836731934535939_n.jpg

SD wire extension fit test. I have designed and 3D printed a piece for putting it in place, but it could be just glued.
280449434_1609112416154591_7285185181682296551_n.jpg

Preparing the cut with a Dremel tool.
280496971_1609113622821137_8684325856202924740_n.jpg

Cut done.
280551093_1609113979487768_6169502122306425414_n.jpg

It's a perfect fit, but the wire extension must be carefully folded and organized inside.
280568795_1609114352821064_5393829874517578464_n.jpg

Awesome sauce . Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”