Outputting MIDI notes from arrange tracks. My LiveSlice tut!

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok this took a little messing around but I finally got LiveSlice to output MIDI notes from arrange tracks. You need 2 other freeplugins to make this work properly. Also I this only works in hosts that allow you to send MIDI from one plugin to another (modular hosts with MIDI seem to work best). I did this in eXT.

Basic (one note only):
IPH's midiConverter2

&

Advanced (ramped notes from root note):
NicFit's NoteQue

Ok so for the basic method you:

- Set the arrange track's MIDI 1 or 2 to a locked CC # for all slices.
- Send that CC out to midiConverter2 and make sure the Input Type is CC, In 1 is the same CC# as the arrange track CC#, Output Type is Note On and Out 1 is the note (not As Input) .
- Route the output from midiConverter2 to a MIDI sequencer and record the notes.

To ramp the notes up or down from a root note:

- Set everything up exactly the same in basic mode except do not route into a sequencer instead, route to NicFit's NoteQue.
- (Before you can get the ramp to work) Record a sequence of scales up down or custom into NQ.
- Allow the NoteOn messages from midiConverter2 to trigger the pitches in NQ.
- Route NoteQue into a sequencer and record the notes (make sure the start note in NQ is at 1 before recording. Still trying to figure out how to do this automatically).

Hope someone finds this as useful as I did.
stay juicy!

You know, that is a lot of hassle to go through. I personally hate midi plugins, too confusing to set them up. It might take longer, but drawing the midi notes by hand isn't too much of a hassle, IMO.

Architeuthis wrote:You know, that is a lot of hassle to go through. I personally hate midi plugins, too confusing to set them up. It might take longer, but drawing the midi notes by hand isn't too much of a hassle, IMO.
It modular hosts, midi plugins are much easier to work with - you seem to be using cubase (your sig.) and I agree it's more difficult to get the routing right. In energy xt though, midi plugins can be very handy
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

ohm wrote:It modular hosts, midi plugins are much easier to work with - you seem to be using cubase (your sig.) and I agree it's more difficult to get the routing right. In energy xt though, midi plugins can be very handy
LOL! I hate cubase! I forgot to switch that to Reaper. afk 1 min!

Edit: But I'm new with Reaper.

I haven't tried the above method myself, but I'm just wondering- how do Note Off messages get sent? Wouldn't you end up with a bunch of stuck notes?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Architeuthis I hate tring to handdraw complex grooves ;). Plus they never come out the same as the original.

deastman for some reason if you record it to a sequencer (in eXT) the notes cut off when a new NoteOn is recieved. Dont ask my why in my basic example it does this but I think the fact that NoteQue is monophonic has something to do with it.
stay juicy!

Return to “Livelab.dk”