Help me choose a firewire mixer/audio interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a TR-909, a Creamware Pro-12 ASB and a Terratec Phase 26 USB sound card. However, the sound card can only accept one input at a time and I'd like to have several - so that I can apply digital affects using cubase to multiple input channels.

Can anyone recommend something that could provide this functionality? I'd ideally like some spare inputs too for future expansion - maybe four in total would be sufficient.
Is it possible to get a mixer that provides EQs, multiple inputs and midi, which can then be linked in to cubase via firewire... but so that it can record each of the individual input channels separately? I'm starting to realise that some hands-on EQs will be a lot easier than messing in software :).

Thanks in advance,
Binny.
Last edited by Binman_UK on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Any1 able to help with this at all? :)

Ta,
Binny

Maybe the smallest Mackie Onyx with the FireWire expansion unit?
Maybe a second-hand Mackie 1202 VLZ and link it's direct-outputs to a new PCI soundcard that has 4 or 8 inputs?

Note: the EQ section on small mixers usually isn't that great. Most have only one sweepable mid, while having two would be better. Software offers much more flexibility.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

C00kie wrote:Maybe the smallest Mackie Onyx with the FireWire expansion unit?
I checked out the specs for that and it says "2 channels of monitoring from computer via FireWire option card".. I presume that means I would only be able to stream 2 channels at the same time to my PC to add effects?

Ta,
Binny

Nono, for instance the 1220 does stream 14 channels to the PC. The 2-channel monitoring are reverse channels, sent by the PC (your softsynths mixdown) to be mixed in for headphone monitoring.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Thanks for clearing that up. The Mackie Onyx 1220 does look pretty much ideal for what I need then really.. although with the firewire card, the cheapest I've found is £500. Are there any cheaper alternatives at all... maybe the M-Audio NRV-10? Ideally I'd like to be able to send the ouput of some VSTs to the mixer for EQing and back again into Cubase for recording.

Thanks again,
Binny.

I really doubt weather you can get something like that with decent usability on a tight budget in one unit.

There are 8-channel PCI cards like the ESI ESP1010 or M-Audio Delta1010 that can be had for far less than £400. The Delta 1010LT (breakout spaghetti instead of a box) goes at DolphinMusic for £116.00
Top that with a second-hand Mackie 1604VLZ (check eBay) and you're getting started.

Note again: software EQs are far more flexible than EQs in small mixers!

korg Zero4 and Zero8
yamaha has a couple too
you can also get one of the new motu with dsp or the m-audio fastrack ultra or something, also with dsp mixer and fx (motu has compressors and eq on every one of the 56 channels IIRC)

C00kie wrote:There are 8-channel PCI cards like the ESI ESP1010 or M-Audio Delta1010 that can be had for far less than £400.
Unfortunately I'm limited to firewire... I'll be linking everything up to my laptop, not a PC.

I noticed that these mixers/audio interfaces state they have X inputs and X mic preamps.. are preamps something that I would even require at the moment, seeing as though the outputs of my 909 and Pro12 are line outputs? Apologies if this is a stupid question.. I'm still learning about all this stuff :).

Ta,
Binny

For FireWire you could have a look at the product line of http://www.presonus.com/

Since all those use line levels, indeed you don't require mic preamps at the moment.

C00kie wrote:For FireWire you could have a look at the product line of http://www.presonus.com/

Since all those use line levels, indeed you don't require mic preamps at the moment.
Couple of questions.

1. Can I still plug line inputs into mic preamps, seeing as though all my current kit is at line level already? Otherwise they'd be pretty useless to me at the moment. I presume it depends on the specific model?

2. Could you recommend a few suitable audio interfaces for me? I imagine I'll be needing around 8 or so inputs to remain future-proof (mainly line inputs) with the ability to stream them individually over firewire to the sequencer. Having the same amount of outputs would also be handy in case I decide to buy a mixer at a later date (is this what ADAT is used for with digital mixers?). Send/Return inserts would also be good for when I decide to get some hardware effects at a later date. I guess I can spend around £400.

If it makes any difference, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400, 1.66GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.. not sure of the hard disk speed. I read a review on the Alesis iO-26, which seems to have all the features I would need, although I hear there is some compatibility problems with Dell laptops? The Presonous Firepod/FP10/Firestudio also appear to have similar specs (8 inputs/outputs, but with only 2 send/return inserts), but I believe they also use the same DICE II chipset that has problems with Dell laptops? :(

I have to say, I'm finding the sheer amount of choice bewildering at the moment.

Thanks again :).

Binny.

Binman_UK wrote:Can I still plug line inputs into mic preamps, seeing as though all my current kit is at line level already? Otherwise they'd be pretty useless to me at the moment. I presume it depends on the specific model?
Mic inputs are for microphones. So that's a definite no.
Most audio interfaces have XLR inputs for mics and TRS for line inputs, wired to the very same channels. So you don't lose any channels, it's just that you don't need the mic preamps while most buyers do need them.
Binman_UK wrote:I imagine I'll be needing around 8 or so inputs to remain future-proof (mainly line inputs) with the ability to stream them individually over firewire to the sequencer. Having the same amount of outputs would also be handy in case I decide to buy a mixer at a later date (is this what ADAT is used for with digital mixers?).
ADAT is an optical cable that carries 8 channels in one direction. So if you want your channels to go through a digital mixer you'd need ADAT inputs and outputs at both the audio interface and the mixer.
Binman_UK wrote:I guess I can spend around £400.
I'd call that budget "ambitious". Wish you good luck... (you'll need it!)

Thanks for all your help c00kie.. I've gone for the Saffire Pro 26 i/o and will do all the EQing in software as suggested. It's got ADAT, so I can always get a mixer at a later date if I find I need one.

However, I'm not overly confident that it'll work with the Ricoh firewire chipset on my Dell laptop (with or without a Texas Instruments Express Card), but I'll have a damn good go at it. If that still doesn't work, I guess I'll have to buy a new laptop :(.

Binny.

First impressions are that it works ok. Have created a cubase project with 2 tracks @ recorded it at 96khz and it seems to play back fine. Buffer size is set to the minimum (4ms). Will give it a proper go tomorrow, but fingers crossed... it looks as though my Ricoh firewire chipset is working fine.

Binny.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”