FL Studio Augur waveform kit

Official support for: image-line.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

because the work Antti has done for Augur is very good, and I like the waveforms in it, i have extracted them from Augur for use external to Augur.

i extracted the waves from the .DLL using a resource extractor. unfortunately the waveforms were all mashed together with not a single byte of silence. i did some quick maths dividing the number of available waveforms and the size of the extracted wave file in bytes, and it turned out that every sample in the monolithic waveform data file was 128 bytes exactly.

only Cakewalk Sonar was able to do this next bit - set a rigid grid value of 128 samples long in the timeline (no other host i have could do this simple task - nor any waveform editors i own can do it to my knowledge). from there i loaded the files into sonar, and manually sliced every cycle individually at 128 samples each. from there i chose to export project audio data to a folder, and sonar created all the individual sample waveforms of my slices for me (thanks cakewalk! - this was a lifesaver and quite cool because i didn't want to have to do it all manually).

after that step, i manually eyeballed the name of the waveform cycle/shape in augur and noted them down in a text editor. i then took this information and wrote a small batch file to rename the waveform files from what sonar extracted them as (Augur test (1).wav through Augur test (96).wav).

after the files were renamed, i loaded fl studio 7 and looped them all. the workflow was dragging the waveform from the browser onto a sampler channel, then pressing ctrl-e to open edison, which automatically gives the keyboard focus to edison (NICE!). in edison i hit ctrl-a to select the entire waveform, alt-l to set the loop points, then ctrl-s to save.

after doing the manual loop editing in each wave i reloaded the sampler channel wave data by right clicking on the waveform and choosing 'reload'. from there i ticked normalize, remove dc offset, and then saved the channel preset. after all that stuff i took a screenshot of the waveform picker for visual quick reference (it's Map.png and you will find it in the Packs\Shapes\Augur directory).

i share the workflow for fun and educational reasons.

i created 2 distributions for this kit, one is a self extractor EXE that points automatically to C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 7\Data -- where the files need to be installed to with full directory paths intact. the other file is a zip for the do-it-yourselfers out there. you will want to extract the zip file with directories to C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 7\Data. if you dont have 7, it'll work with 6 i think too.

when you first drag/drop these from the browser onto the stepseq, it will create a new sampler channel for you, and it may need to locate the waveforms. so long as you've installed properly it will find them no sweat.

i'm hoping Antti doesn't get mad at me for doing this, but it's quite a great bit of work he did with Augur and it's raw samples and i've been having a blast just using flstudio samplers and layer channels making some pretty big sounds with like 0% CPU used. i did give credit to Antti in the kit installer with the URL to download Augur.

downloads:

:arrow: self extracting ZIP (169k)
:arrow: ZIP archive (136k)

enjoy!

Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

interesting

I've been wanting to replace the sounds >inside< augur for a long time..

HMM!

hey these are really handy. I've noticed that the cut and res controls (legacy effects) in the sampler have really unusual morphing effects when using these single cycle waveforms. It's a real shame you can't morph them while playing :(
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

jbravo; i noticed similar phenomenon when using the other stuff like fade in and out. i think because the stuff is so small it's difficult to apply any effect to it on the sampler. however, try loading it into 3xOsc as a "?" wave form, or into sytrus operator osc's with the "import single cycle waveform" menu option and you have alot more flexibility. :)

@larm: you could reshack some in if they are the same size. the file is tricky to manipulate though as i mentioned, so be careful.

grymmjack wrote: @larm: you could reshack some in if they are the same size. the file is tricky to manipulate though as i mentioned, so be careful.
Yeah, already working on a c# app to switch waveforms!

took some time before I understood that the dll was packed with upx :)

larm wrote:
grymmjack wrote: @larm: you could reshack some in if they are the same size. the file is tricky to manipulate though as i mentioned, so be careful.
Yeah, already working on a c# app to switch waveforms!

took some time before I understood that the dll was packed with upx :)
ahh yes i forgot to mention that i had to unpack it.

let me know what you come up with. augur is awesome and the visual envelope following thing really helps me learn how complex relationships in envs work.

also because they are 128 bytes in length each wave, they are tuned to F, and not C. i didn't figure that out though, arke did. pretty smart way to do it :)

i guess antti then tunes them down a few steps in code. advantages of the powers of 2 etc.

yup, he uses 4096, 128, though 94 is a bit strange, but the 2 last ones (silence and noise) I think are generated off line..

this is status after 2hrs of code:

need to make some easy editor now ...

well normalizing wasn't a good idea

I'm going to try this out in toxic III. It can load single cylce waves as well

waveriderarts wrote:well normalizing wasn't a good idea
normalizing is nondestructive in the fst. untick it :)

larm wrote:yup, he uses 4096, 128, though 94 is a bit strange, but the 2 last ones (silence and noise) I think are generated off line..

this is status after 2hrs of code:

need to make some easy editor now ...
cool what is the goal of the prog? is it going to let us swap out 128 sample chunks in the file and reinject it into the dll or?

that'd be pretty neat.

Yup!

Currently it can load the uncompressed dll, let you select one of the waves, draw with the mouse or apply the fx in the menu. And then saves it back (and you can play the vst with the new waveforms too .. :))

This what it looks like after a few extra hrs:

It's very non-polished, but it works :)

in Packs/Shapes/Misc there are some good waveforms too. in case no one has found them yet.

Return to “Image Line”