Fed up with Macintel and need a PC rec

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi again, and thanks to all who answered my last topic.

After exhaustive research, I had decided to get a Mac Pro and upgrade DP, but the plugs I want are still not yet Intel compatible. So back to the drawing board.

What PC maker offers a similar product for a comparable price? If I configure a Dell similarly to a Mac Pro, it comes out 500 euros more. (Is this not the world upside down -- a Mac the 'cheap' alternative??)
I must be missing something here. Has Mac really become cheaper than PC, or is there a place I should be looking for a good cost-effective PC?

Thanks

You have an Intel based Mac and you want a PC...
Tried BootCamp? :hyper:

EDIT:
On second reading, I think I may have misinterpreted you. I guess you just want to see what kind of system you can get at a similar price point to the Mac Pro? In that case I would suggest building a computer yourself. For high-end machines it's usually the cheapest way to go.

Have you tried Newegg? They have a lot of PC laptops. I'm finding that the same hardware is just a bit cheaper. I don't think that the Dell's are a good bargain. Yes, the Mac laptops are very competitive.

What plugs can't you get in UB? I'm changing to hopefully save a few hundred dollars and make my first chemo payment. Pity you can't wait for the UB versions but I understand.

Edit: Oops! I thought you meant Mac Book Pro... sorry...
Welcome to KVR, where the PC vs. Mac debate never ends.

The real sticking point is Trilogy, but some of the other plugs are Intel public betas, like Toontracks DFH and Custom & Vintage Drums -- OK but makes me a bit nervous. Also, we have PC moving to Vista and Mac moving to Leopard, and it just seems like I should wait a bit more before taking the plunge.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”