Distortion with Rhino 1.0 demo

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i also posted this in the rhino announcement thread but there it obviously didn't receive attention, so I try again.

I get on almost all patches heavy distortion (like clipping). Sometimes the sound mutes completely, especially when playing several notes. Switching between patches produces a horrible crackling. The volume is generally very high. Lowering the volume reduces the distortion, but not completely.

My config: Cubase SX 1.3, Win XP Home SP1, Athlon 1700, Terratec 24/92.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Any help appreciated since this rhino is otherwise an really amazing synth.

Fette Töle

Hi,

I reckon there's something strange when switching presets. It depends on computers, but I think I now see what the problem is, I'll fix it in the first update.

Regarding distorsion, there's an easy way to change the overall gain of the synth:
download this file, and edit it to set the overall gain of the synth (default is 1.0) - then double-click it to apply the change.

This said, I don't think the synth output is hotter than the others. Don't you have the same problem with other synths at all ?

'Tick

I experience the same problems as you described fette Töle. Distortion and a short CPU-peak to 100% when switching between presets. Perhaps it has to do sth with Athlon...I have a 2000+ CPU and the same soundcard.
I am sure that it will be fixed soon..... :)

Are you guys holding a note while switching presets ? i believe this can crash it, sometimes :(
'Tick

It's not an Athlon issue, I have a XP1700 w/ 512 mb DDR ram and D-Man Delta 44 card. Even on the generic audio card that came with the computer I don't experience the spikes.

'tick, if the note sustains and you switch patches there will be noise, just tested.

Regarding the distortion, it will happen depending on how loud your audio card input is set. I noticed the same things happening with several plugins which vanished when I backed the volume down. I don't know if that'll work for you but it worked for my 'trouble' synths.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

Hi Tick... just got it to freeze Fruity on me twice but I had Fruity running a simple sequence through it as I randomly clicked through the presets at quite a speed... not something I would normally do and it took a while before it did it. If I clicked through presets slowly (ie give it a second or two to play a few notes) there was no issue.. Personally I wouldn't normally swap patches on a channel mid-tune, I'd normally set another instance and have the next patch preloaded for the right moment. Maybe this is why I haven't noticed a problem yet... I only did this as a test given your above queries...

Noise wise all I get is a slight click as the patches change.

Holding notes down when switching patches doesn't crash it, you just don't get anymore output until you press another key.

I have an XP2100+ system with a Delta 44 sound card.

Hope that helps :)

SR Misc Synthz/Where Is Wookie
Fame at last in SR Sonic Station 8)

Big Tick wrote:Are you guys holding a note while switching presets ? i believe this can crash it, sometimes :(
'Tick
....sorry, no keys held down....

I have the same problems with a Pentium III 1.0 Ghz

I get a very short burst of a kind of high pitch chainsaw buzz when changing patches (usually whilst holding a note)

OK folks, I'll release a patch soon to fix that (together with the 48 KHz tuning bug).
Take care,
'Tick

Return to “Big Tick”