Generally, what do you think is the 'best' sounding EQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Generally, what do you consider to be the overall 'best' sounding EQ?

Aixcoustic Creations Electri-Q
8%
Algorithmix RedEQ
3%
Cakewalk Sonitus fx:equalizer
3%
Cakewalk Sonitus fx:equalizer
3%
ddmf LP10
1%
De-Vice ISON EQ
1%
Eliosound AirEQ
15%
Kjaerhus Audio Golden Equaliser GEQ-7
5%
PSPaudioware MasterQ
1%
PSPaudioware PSP Neon
3%
Refined Audiometrics PLParEQ
8%
Roger Nichols Uniquel-izer / Elemental Audio Equim
3%
Sonalksis SV-517
8%
Sonic TimeWorks Equalizer
1%
Sony Oxford EQ
5%
TriTone Digital HydraTone
4%
TriTone Digital ValveTone '62
No votes
Voxengo CurveEQ
3%
Voxengo GlissEQ
8%
Voxengo HarmoniEQ
5%
Wave Arts TrackPlug
2%
Waves Renaissance Equalizer
4%
Waves SSL G-Equalizer
11%

Total votes: 199

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fundy wrote:Yeah wait till next week when I'm fulling explaining the schematics of a triode tube system....No seriously, I did reference this afterwards. What I can tell you though is, a valve amp is not suitable for a pool party.
What about an orgy?

ddummer wrote:oohh oooh... gotta show:

Nice placebo... or is it? :P

//Daniel :)
hi daniel,

seems to be the same i saw inserted in your energy-xt skin ... :D
http://www.tinbrooketales.com/hosted/Humble_Red1.png
greetz cro

ddummer wrote:oohh oooh... gotta show:

Daniel...bloody smashing GUI work, mate. As usual.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

Kingston wrote:
Fundy wrote:The term "hot" also comes from the fact, the harder you worked the valves the hotter they got.
That's not how tubes work at all. They don't get hotter after the warm up period, and they certainly will not flash like in the idiotic misguided plugin interfaces we see around! You can saturate them, yes, but it will not affect the tubes physically. They barely even glow! hip hip hooray for back lights invented by marketing departments!

no really, the words "analog" and "warmth" are blanket terms for whatever people think or (more precisely) believe is the ideal sound, and hence they mean absolutely nothing. The same applies to "hot" or "cold".

The sooner an engineer understands this, the better he becomes with the craft.
Tubes do get much hotter after pushing them - exactly what happens with power tubes in instrument amps, eg. bassman etc. or transmitters.

Doesnt happen in pres and effects (and receivers).

Kingston wrote:
shamann wrote:And if a free EQ sounds better than a commercial EQ, do you really need to buy one?
indeed. this poll is completely useless and skewed in so many ways it's not even funny. :bang:
what's the point of knowing the average joes opinion on best commercial EQ when it's either equal or can't touch the quality of the free ones?
I agree that the best free stuff is often better than the worst payware stuff. - And that's great of course, people who give good stuff away are amazing. However, the purpose here is to find the "best" payware EQ. - Now, I may be wrong, but I would think that the "best" payware stuff is going to be better than any free stuff. - I have no facts to back that up, but, lets face it, someone would have to be fairly silly to give away something which they could easily make hundreds from. - I want to find the ultimate EQ here (glossing over for the moment the fact that such a thing may not exist).

If I included the freebies, many people would undoubtedly vote for them. - Perhaps because they are new to audio production, or are just amateurs who haven't had experience of the payware EQ's. - Or possibly, because the fact that they're free skews people's opinions; they think it's so good that they're getting something for nothing, that they want the developer to be praised an brought to other people's attention.

The best thing would be to have a separate poll; "what is the best FREE EQ?". Then, possibly, a third could be done, combining the most popular from each category. - That's for another time though. :wink:

I hope I haven't insulted anyone btw; read my first sentence again, I do believe that a lot of free stuff is very good, and I genuinely respect the people who develop it.

<Runs and gets popcorn..>

JumpingJackFlash wrote: Now, I may be wrong, but I would think that the "best" payware stuff is going to be better than any free stuff.
agreed. In general, in my opinion this is true. Let's make an example. If the new company xxx produces something better than other payware/freewares in general they'll release 2 versions: a free one (light cost or free) and a commercial one.
We are speaking here not only about "sound quality", but also about " freatures"
Let's make an example. Budde released a free eq; probably it is better than other plugs, but he released a commercial version too.
I think the engine has the same quality, but electric-q has a lot more features than the free version.

I know someone releases ONLY free stuff. Good stuff. But, ehi, support has a cost. You can't release something free with a good customer support for a long time, because the time spent on developement is just a fraction of the time required by mails/debug/support.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:Now, I may be wrong, but I would think that the "best" payware stuff is going to be better than any free stuff.
With stuff like nyquist, voxengo GEQ and electri-q posihfopit around? no, you are quite wrong with that line of thought.

like I said, this poll is useless.

Kingston wrote: With stuff like nyquist, voxengo GEQ and electri-q posihfopit around? no, you are quite wrong with that line of thought.
imho true if you say "all commercial products" are better than "all free products". But for every every company/developer "commercial products" will be always better than "released free stuff"
So limiting research to "commercial products" has a sense for me and for him!

Kingston wrote: this poll is useless.
agreed, but for polls in general and in my opinion a "perfect" tool for everyone doesn't exist. I don't think the "average" product (because a lot of producers love it) is the best

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:But for every every company/developer "commercial products" will be always better than "released free stuff"
ehh. What?

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
agreed, but for polls in general and in my opinion a "perfect" tool for everyone doesn't exist. I don't think the "average" product (because a lot of producers love it) is the best
There are pretty much no producers on KVR. here we get the opinion of the average joe who has a cheap software based system, barely qualified as DAW with audigy, and headphones as "main monitoring".

Kingston wrote:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:But for every every company/developer "commercial products" will be always better than "released free stuff"
ehh. What?

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
There are pretty much no producers on KVR. here we get the opinion of the average joe who has a cheap software based system, barely qualified as DAW with audigy, and headphones as "main monitoring".
No reason for this post, I just felt like quoting you.

Kingston wrote:There are pretty much no producers on KVR. here we get the opinion of the average joe who has a cheap software based system, barely qualified as DAW with audigy, and headphones as "main monitoring".
Er, Yeah. Totally true :roll:
No.

Partly true IMO - there are some really skilled peole here.

If it's your believe that you must pay for something for it to be good then thats utter nonsense and full of delusion! :x I have to agree with Kingston that the better EQ's aren't even here....nyquist, voxengo GEQ, electri-q posihfopit...damn good ITB EQ's...and all free! Think of it this way...if someone gave you a free hardware EQ wouldn't you use your ears and judge first before going out and buying hardware EQ if you thought you needed to?..poor example but still. To go off subject completely I've had enough of doing things completly in the box anyway and started buying my hardware back!!!

Cheers.

Kingston wrote:ehh. What?"

My example:
Company 1: free "A" and commercial "B"
Company 2: free "A2" and commercial "B2"

I suppose that "B" will be better than "A" and "B2" will be better than "A2" (absolutely true, you sell a thing only if it is better or equal)

in this case, even if "A" is better than "B2", the collection {"B", "B2"} contains the best element "B"
If you are looking for the best element, a good strategy could be "compare commercial tools"
Ok today I love jokes
Kingston wrote:There are pretty much no producers on KVR. here we get the opinion of the average joe who has a cheap software based system, barely qualified as DAW with audigy, and headphones as "main monitoring".
agreed. There are producers, but they don't post. I don't know the reason. And yes, the common software developer has phones and cheap card. Again, I don't know the reason. Not only: the average developer doesn't use ears, only the head (and the eyes :o ).

Return to “Effects”