Chord changes in techno songs?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Paul @ Micro wrote:I'd say there are no rules.
One note, or simple/ complex chords.
Whatever sounds best to you, not what you think you should be doing.

Very liberating, do anything you want.

:)

Paul/ Microscopics
ahhh- care for a whiskey old pal?

snooky wrote:techno is about experimentation, having one's own sound
+1

all together now ....
"you're free ...
to do what you want to do"

:hihi:

snooky wrote:
lucypickle wrote:Just inquiring:

Do techno house songs normally have chord changes?
Or do they normally just have, for lack a better word-a musical phrase that runs through the whole song?

I know house/dance/disco songs usually have chord changes.

I'm just interested in learning more about this subject concerning "club" songs.

Because the songs I'm working on have no chord changes they are just in a certain key.
this question comes up now and again - AND IT'S A FUCKIN' STOOPID ONE.

techno is about experimentation, having one's own sound - don't fuckin ask if techno has chord changes...don't know how to make EDM? THEN DON'T! (simply becasue there are no rules to speak of)

have a nice day :)
You sound like one angry techno producer :lol: Do you enjoy Gabber?

What is "chord change" please?

thecontrolcentre wrote:What is "chord change" please?
It's short for chorduroy change. It happens when your jeans get shiny.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

nuffink wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:What is "chord change" please?
It's short for chorduroy change. It happens when your jeans get shiny.
:D
A chord is a group of notes (some say it must be at least 3 notes to be a 'proper' chord).
A chord change is where you move from one chord, to a different chord.

It's also important to note that a melody can imply certain chords, without them necessarily being harmonically enforced.

Also, a melody usually contains many unessential notes which are decorations to the harmonic underline, and not considered part of the 'chord' at that point.

Without a doubt, the most important (and most frequent) chords in Western tonal music are chords I, IV and V. (For example in C major, this is C major, F major and G major). Many songs and pieces of music can and have been constructed using only these basic chords.

Cheers
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

Get some Kylie - early Stock Aitken and Waterman........

f**k - 3 key changes in the verse........lol

You can do anything with anything......

Half of that Smurf shit is Kate Bush speeded up....which is basically a Cat Stevens rip-off....

Reg

This thread is becoming totally unstable. :scared:

I have corduroy jacket , but is not shiny.
it does have furry collar ...
JumpingJackFlash wrote:(For example in C major, this is C major, F major and G major). Many songs and pieces of music can and have been constructed using only these basic chords.
:o

bduffy wrote:This thread is becoming totally unstable. :scared:
The engines canna tek it, cappen ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
bduffy wrote:This thread is becoming totally unstable. :scared:
The engines canna tek it, cappen ...
Abandon ship!

braindoc wrote:i'm not into hip-hop but i talked to quite a few hoppers and all of them told me, that hip-hop is mostly about the lyrics, not about the music. and i agree with them as, IMHO, many (not all, of course) hip-hop tracks consist just of the lyrics/rap plus some dreary loops. but as for techno/trance/electronic - i would say in these genres it is also not so much about the music, but here i see the sound-design as the most important part.
I find it interesting that you seperate lyrics (and implicitly delivery, phrasing, intonation etc) and sound design from 'music' - does this mean that you take (nontrivial) melody and harmony to be essential parts of music?

@ OP - whatever, really. Carl Craig has some fairly serious jazzy chords iirc, whereas Energy Flash (another Beltram tune) is another classic with a one note tune, and I'm sure there are some classics that have no tuned sounds at all. I guess the thing that tends to define techno is that if there are chord changes, they don't tend to be of the big uplifting trancey variety, but rather to be either minimal (C A C A etc) or quite subtle.
It's a rave, Lewis!

snooky dear oh dear your nasty!
What goes up must come down!

Return to “Production Techniques”