Major Scales VS. Minor Scales

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are your personal favorites? :phones: :violin: :harp: :band:

C Major, cuz its easy to play :hihi:

TB

Minors all the way. C minor, C# minor, D minor, G minor are my most abused keys.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Minor weirds me out. Which do I use, natural minor, harmonic minor or melodic minor? I'm not proficient enough to play one on the ascending and one on the descending.

Apart from diatonic chords, what chords do you use with the minor scales? It seems to be hard to find a straight answer to these questions.

D minor is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Harmonic minor is you typical go to minor scale. The natural minor is a modal scale and looses the leading tone (so cadences will be less strong). The melodic minor is more of a jazz scale these days.

Really, the main ones you'll tend to use NORMALLY would be the natural and harmonic. The main difference being the major V chord in the harmonic, giving you the possibility of true authentic cadences.

TB

Do you find that the different keys have different moods?

Like, does Eb Major mean anything different to you than F Major?

TB

Harmonic minor is you typical go to minor scale. The natural minor is a modal scale and looses the leading tone (so cadences will be less strong). The melodic minor is more of a jazz scale these days.

Really, the main ones you'll tend to use NORMALLY would be the natural and harmonic. The main difference being the major V chord in the harmonic, giving you the possibility of true authentic cadences.
Thanks very much for that, I really appreciate it. Harmonic's "gap" at the end of the scale sounds a bit odd to my ears when used melodically, but I'll persevere with it.
To speculate, I think that's related to the timbre of an instrument changing somewhat when you change the key. An acid line moved up a couple of semitones can totally change the character of the acid, perhaps even moreso for acoustic instruments. But that's just an uneducated guess.
Last edited by rounser on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tee boy wrote:Do you find that the different keys have different moods?

I have quite some well-trained "relative" hearing but would never be able to tell the difference from just listening. I only notice when playing things on a (standard tuned) guitar.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Hmmm, not sure.

I mean, some pieces sound better in some keys, but I always thought that was because of the minor registral changes between keys suiting a particular piece rather than it being a particularly quality of the key itself.

But I know some people reckon they love the sound of certain keys dont they?

TB

Sascha Franck wrote:
tee boy wrote:Do you find that the different keys have different moods?

I have quite some well-trained "relative" hearing but would never be able to tell the difference from just listening. I only notice when playing things on a (standard tuned) guitar.
Hmmm, me neither probably.

I can usually hum a C, so perhaps I could work it out from that but I might burst a few brain cells doing it, lol.

I certainly dont feel that one major keys has anything different to another one in music generally (emotionally that is).

TB

i honestly never learned a scale besides major...but i have an ok ear, and i can play "the right notes"...but, it's hard for me to just jam along with stuff as i really don't know the rules very well...if there is a song i'm learning or making up, i can practice and figure out where the good notes are...i'm actually in a bit of a quandary about this: i think i've done some cool things independent of music theory, but i do like a lot of "real" music and after playing for a long time i don't think it's too hard to turn the corner so to speak...but being an old f**k it seems pretty self indulgent to take lessons, and i can't anyway (family stuff)...how the f**k do you actually teach yourself guitar?

NAD wrote:D minor is the saddest of all keys
Didn't Nigel Tuffnal say that in the Spinal Tap movie?

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:...how the f**k do you actually teach yourself guitar?
I used tablature to learn chords and scales when i started teaching myself the guitar ... helped a lot :)

Minor... major... they're all based off of the same tones, you just have a different root.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Return to “Music Theory”