Sub-Conscious Reminiscence of Old Music?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok weird. So when i was in 4th and 5th grade I relentlessly listened to metallica. I just decided that I would go back and see if I would even like them now for fun's sake, and I realized that structure-wise, most of my DnB tracks are like "Battery" and "Fight Fire With Fire", my favorite metallica songs from back in the day. From the way their choruses are linked together to the half-tempo break downs after climaxes, etc etc.

Share simular discoveries?

Interesting discovery!

I've been a metallica fan since that age myself, and when I used to play in metalcore bands I often found myself using their theories without knowing it.

I think most of our past listenings inevitably come through our creations, at least thats my theory. Some people say that writing music is part originality, and part copying others, which I couldn't agree with more (i'm mostly referring to structure based music such as rock/metal/pop)

i figure out my inspiration after the fact all the time
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

If think you probably make music that sounds like what you like. At least until you figure out how to get past that.

if that's true, i'm sure lars would like to charge you or put you in jail for copying their "intellectual property." better keep this thread on the down-low...

and when I used to play in metalcore bands I often found myself using their theories without knowing it
their "theories"?

RTaylor wrote:If think you probably make music that sounds like what you like. At least until you figure out how to get past that.
the reason i found this interesting is that my music sounds nothing like metallica, and I havent listened to them in 6 years since 2 days ago

bernhardtjeff wrote:if that's true, i'm sure lars would like to charge you or put you in jail for copying their "intellectual property." better keep this thread on the down-low...
hahaha

bernhardtjeff wrote:
and when I used to play in metalcore bands I often found myself using their theories without knowing it
their "theories"?
:) I sort of questioned that myself.

The Chase wrote:
RTaylor wrote:If think you probably make music that sounds like what you like. At least until you figure out how to get past that.
the reason i found this interesting is that my music sounds nothing like metallica,
You did say that it's structurally the same. That must be one thing you like about it.

Metal fans generally play metal. Punks play punk. Classical fans take up the cello or flute or whatever. It only makes sense.
The Chase wrote:and I havent listened to them in 6 years since 2 days ago
You have it marked on your calendar?

I once wrote a song which I performed live a dozen or more times. Then one day I was listening to the first This Mortal Coil EP, the one with the Modern English cover versions on it [the only reason I bought it], for the first time in a couple of years [because I didn't like it at all] and realised that the main riff from this song of mine was exactly the one from one of those songs. I have not played that song since.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

People tell me I ripped everything I do off Pink Floyd. I have to de-pinkfloyd my songs before I finish them.
Rakkervoksen

there was this guy i knew in a def leppard cover band. every song he played sounded exactly like a def leppard song. talk about no creativity...

The Chase wrote:Share simular discoveries?
Yeap. That's why so many of my songs are just a verse and a bridge. :P
Mizutaphile.

The only sounds i was exposed to for the first 15yrs of my life were people shitting in buckets.....nuff said.

Return to “Music Theory”