New Bouncy.dll crashes Orion Platinum

Official support for: smartelectronix.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bram,

I used the old Bouncy a bit in Orion Platiunum and there was no problem. The new one crashes it outright as soon as you load it. I swapped back to the old one which is still working fine...

hey d3

could you please run Kondor in Orion and take a screenshot of it?
http://www.tobybear.de/kondor.htm

send it to me or post it here..

thx.

- bram

Thanks Krimi!!

*SIGH*

Once again Orion proves to be the most crappy host ever.
I'll fix the bug.
Doesn't Orion enable you to sync-to-host-tembo with plugins???

BTW: you can take screenshots like this:

Select the window you want to have as a screenshot, hit CTRL-"prtscr" (it's above the 'insert' key on most keyboards), then go to Paint and hip Paste. ;)

- bram

Well, first off - I think Orions a pretty GOOD host.;) And yes, it sync's all compliant VST tempo plugs to it's own BPM now. No offence to Toby, but I learned many of his 'utility' plugs don't gel well with Orion and/or causes conflicts such as Channel Grabber et al. These are more for other applications totally void of amenities - and Orion is actually pretty packed already.:)

As long as I stick with SmartElectronix FX and Toby's FX only in Orion, all works well for me. Including Bouncy. :D

"it sync's all compliant VST tempo plugs"

John that is not strictly true, Orion can't sync correctly to Spectrasonics Stylus. I am sure there are other examples where Orion's sync is somewhat questionable.

Hmm.

I'm really sorry, but it's the truth.

Orion is one of the -technicaly speaking- most crappy hosts ever.
Ask any VST developer...

Orion doesn't adhere much of the VST-standard and does all kinds of weird things. I could go into technical details, but I won't as it's rather boring...

Sure it works for the USER, but for a developer, making a plugin work in Orion is extra work, because it messes stuff up.
Programs like Audiomulch or Fruityloops or Bidule are MUCH stricter and do things as they SHOULD.

We've been over this MANY times on both the IRC channel as well as the VST plugins list owned by Steinberg.

This is not a personal attack on the users of Orion tho.
It looks like a very nice program indeed, if only the author had payed a BIT more attention to VST-hosting details.

If I translate the bug into human talk it would be like this:
1. ask Orion if it supports tempo-sync, Orion answers YES, I SUPPORT IT
2. ask Orion for the current tempo and it returns : zero

Even you can understand this creates problems.
Sakino's post makes me believe it's fixed in a later version...
Anyway, I fixed the bug and will be posting a new version of Bouncy...

cya!!

- bram

SynthEdit created VSTi don't have any problems syncing to ORION and never have.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Maybe you get 0 if the 'engine always running' is on but the song is not playing???

Just a thought... does seem pretty bodgy whatever. I love Orion btw despite it's oddness. :?

I see what you're saying Bram, and that IS a shame for Orion then. :( I certainly like the ease of it's interface and all. But I guess it's 'different' features and file structure blah-blah's would be cumbersome to someone such as yourself trying to make a 'one shot' plug in for all VST users.

But maybe if you pretend Orion is 'the standard', and Steinberg's the low brow??? :lol:

I'm with you MacButch! :)

Orion is a little flaky. I still love it.

Return to “Smart Electronix”