March Contest: VOTING

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 faves, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward). Voting criteria is simply "free for all": just pick the tracks you like best, with no "theme" restriction.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I HAVE FINALIZED ALL THE TRACKS MYSELF. This means that any shortcomings in the mixes are most likely my fault! As such, disregard the sound quality of the tracks and instead concentrate on the actual *music* itself.

Also, if you think you have it figured out, feel free to guess the secret identity of the artist for each track. Or just the ones you're mostly sure of: this part is just for fun!

Voting ends at 11:59 PM Friday March 31st.

No voting for yourself, and plese vote with only your permanent KVR screen-name. (Violators will be publicly ridiculed when all is revealed after the tally!) Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

All entries can be found in the Submissions Thread or Contest List and Radio.

- m
Last edited by Markleford on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Well, as i will be moving in a week i better do my voting now. I wish i could take more time since i have a batch of about 30 songs i like from this month but you know how moving goes.

1) Anorexic Niggaz "Top of the Izzo"
I actually think this works. It flows and sounds nice. Awesome job!

2) Lococolada "Masquertina"
This is funky in a unique way.

3) Query String "Get the message"
This should be in a vampire movie while 2 female lesbos are sucking each other's blood. Nice one!

4) Raleigh Jennings "Roofers"
Uh...are you a roofer by any chance??? Or do you have a brother in law that's a roofer? This sounds like something Mike Watt would do.

5) Meatfist 23 "Screaming Chicken"
This should be in a slasher film. Ok, my first guess of who's who...my guess is this is Strangejuice cause he's....well, strange :hihi: . Actually, this sounds a bit like last month's "baby" tune that Strangejuice did as far as instrumentation which is why i am guessing it's him.

6) Slodberg "Moving to Venus"
This is cheesy in an interesting way. The vocals at time are Kraftwerkish.

7) Clarkus Stiller "Potato Jam"
BASS!!! I LOVE BASS!!!!!!.....need more bass and less cowbell.

8) Kronos Eros "Cuffed"
Oingo Boingo meets the Coconuts....or something.
Is this GuitarJeff??? The little guitar solo has a style that made me think this probably GuitarJeff. That's the name of the game this month though so i could be wrong......

9) The Guru "Deserts Rise"
Nice song.

10) The Tots "Enfantry"
Nice chorus...wherever the hell the chorus is :hihi: Is this Oddbods??? No....it's probably...ah shit i dunno.

I've only been doing this for 3 months so i really don't know everyones' style just yet but here are a few other guesses:

Lil Jimmy Jr: I forgot his name but he does that funk stuff...max el bega or something....nevermind....

Heck: Oddbods....no, cause i read in the gossip section he didn't know it was Beck....or is that a coverup???? AAAARGH!!!!! This contest sucks :hihi:

Lancelot Sting: It could be Markleford?????

Ok...no more guesses. Good job to all, thanks for another great month and stop writing good stuff.....my HD is getting full!!!
Give me freedom or give me television

here are my top ten:

1. Zz is for Zzero( - Leaving the Motherland 1:58)
Hey great piece of music IMHO (only the strings get a little bit too repetitive, but anyways great!! :D

2. The Guru - Deserts Rise (2:00)
Cool pop-tune with an interesting groove and lots of nice ideas :)

3. Kronos Eros - Cuffed (1:51)
Guitar Jeff meets You?? :shock:

4. Meatfist23 - Screaming Chicken (2:00)
Great stoner Rocktune!!

5. The Stonerds - Carry (1:51)
Great psychopunk number, are you from New York?

6. Raleigh Jennings Birch III - Roofers From Hell (1:56)
This reminds me of Pere Ubu and of some 60s Punkbands. Great work!

7. Willy West - Rock N Roll McDonalds (1:58)
Would like to hear the original, this is very sick!

8. Curiouser - Concerto (2:00)
Great drama movie music

9. Smalltalk - My Young Love (1:48)
Patrick9 is it you? Fine composition!

10. Clarkus Stiller - Potato Jam (1:59)
Cool funky jazz groove!

cheers to all the other carnevalists :D
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

This is my first appearance in the contest and my first vote. There's some damn fine music here and it was a little tough picking just ten but here it goes:

1. Willy West, "Rock and Roll McDonalds." I'm familiar with Wesley Willis and this cover is spot on. He kept the same cheesy sound. Hilarious! If Wesley was still alive, he would approve with his signature head butt.

2. Dark Wish, "Mink Void." Damn, you got the live Floyd sound down! Best drums sounds in the entire contest.

3. Smithee & Co., "Insects' World." What a fabulous song and nicely recorded! The title says it all.

4. QueryString, "Get the Message." If Depeche Mode's David Gahan had actually succeeded in killing himself years back, you would have been a good replacement. Very well done.

5. Raleigh Jennings Birch III, "Roofers from Hell." Friggin hilarious! Funny lyrics on top of a seriously catchy pop song. You can't beat that!

6. John Mitchel Charred, "Oxygenic Part 1a." You nailed Jarre. Great job!

7. Clarkus Stiller, "Potato Jam." This was the first track I heard and that is some mighty damn fine bass playing!

8. The Colourist, "Spectra." I'm a sucker for old-school synth work. Great recording and percussion work.

9. Lil Jimmy Jr.,"Eat Dirt." Very original. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's the most energetic recording in the contest.

10. Lococolada, "Masquertina." Another original with some fabulous sounds swirling all over the mix. And it's got a tympani in it! How cool is that?

Well, that's it. I'm quite anxious to start next month's contest. There's so much good work here that it helps keep me perfecting my recording, writing, and playing.

Here are my votes - and I have to say that it was very hard for me to really put these in an order, any track on this list could have been a few places up still (and there were loads more nearly on this):

01 - Mink Voyd - Dark Wish
02 - ###### vs. Floyd Cramer - Slip Note
03 - The Golden Age - Heck
04 - Rhyader Goes to the Butcher - Carmel
05 - Insects' World - Smithee & Co.
06 - Grandchildren - Miles Roberts
07 - Keep Me Posted - Furr
08 - Couch Potato - Mid Westerners
09 - Porky Lane - Dick Mellville
10 - My Young Love - Smalltalk
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

I know this is kinda wrong considering the theme, but I found myself turning more to origional natured tracks than that of covers, though the covers were brillant. Covers just don't do it for me baby :) Hope I've made someones day!

1: Zz is for Zzero - Leaving the Motherland - Undoubtly my favourite track! Very good use of sample arrangement, I must know where you got your sounds from!

2: The Stonerds - Carry - Reminds me of "The Mint Chicks" great New Zealand band..

3: The Colourist - Spectra - Very ambient, Peter Gabrial.. Thats a good ting!

4: QueryString - Get the Message - Very Melody driven, aspects of Massive Attack in there for me :D

5: Enrico Ferni Sings! - Stinky Fish - Nice piano chords a very manageable theme.

6: Giallo Red - Scary Movie (Main Title) - Very Joshua Tree, Tubila Bells melody going on here. Do like! NOt scared to use out there synth

7: Lococolada - Masquertina - Cool, is this Mark from SAE!

8: Meatfist23 - Screaming Chicken - Yeah go Mansion!

9: John Mitchel Charred - Oxygenic Part 1a - Nice Trance! Reminds me of old Amiga days

10: John Frankenbarry - After the Storm - Very well composed, get your self a better library, as this composition skills is a jem..

_

1 clarkus stiller potato jam
2 xirrx vurty
3 iggy and paul augustus
4 querystring get the message
5 private parts antasia
6 furr keep me posted
7 lancelot sting tumble
8 carmel rhyader
9 slip note x vs floyd
10 smalltalk my young love

HM
dark wish mink void

Nick

_

Best month I've heard yet. Probably because people pretty much just made what they wanted. There is no reason to buy music when it's free here. Great job!

1. The Golden Age......Nice!
2. My Young Love ....... tranquil
3. Antasia............. Pure Butter!
4. Mink Floyd........ Ahh The good ole days Toke Toke
5. Echoes ........ Sweet!
6. Islenskur......Days of future past
7. ###### vs. Floyd Cramer.......Laid back
8. Freedom From Fear...... Out from the Bushes.
9. Roofers From Hell......Kick some ass!
10. Peter Pan ..........Peace to you all HUMMMMMMM

I tended to go for best emulations - that I also liked listening to. Here are some that I feel really nailed what they were setting out to do. It was very hard to put them in any kind of order:

1. Dark Wish - Mink Voyd
2. Smalltalk - My Young Love
3. Anorexic Niggaz - Top of the Izzo
4. Slodberg - Moving to Venus
5. Bad Nutrition - Left
6. Growl - Definitive Statement
7. QueryString - Get the Message
8. Curiouser - Concerto
9. Raleigh Jennings Birch III - Roofers from Hell
10. Kronos Eros - Cuffed

The Elders of the villages of Northen Romania had meet last night to balance, judge and decide the performance
of the 54 masks that entered the rough montly competition. Who will claim victory?

The Elders have decided:

1. Clarkus Stiller - Potato Jam

2. The Guru - Deserts Rise

3. Mid Westerners - Couch Potato

4. Lil Jimmy Jr - Eat Dirt

5. Curiouser - Concerto

6. Slip Note - ###### vs. Floyd Cramer

7. QueryString - Get the Message

8. The Stonerds - Carry

9. Anorexic Niggaz - Top of Tha Izzo

10. Smalltalk - My Young Love

Also congrats to all participants for the hard work for the lovely and interesting tracks.

4. Hippo Fangs - Eat Pollution
  5. Subsequent Lavatarians - Break-up Song
  6. Kronos Eros - Cuffed
  7. The Guru - Deserts Rise
  8. We Are Bach - Rogue Fugue
  9. Raleigh Jennings Birch III - Roofers From Hell
  10. Anorexic Niggaz - Top of Tha Izzo

Honorable Maskings: Smalltalk | Willy West | Rolls Royce Rhythm Ace | Dark Wish

1 - The Colourist - Spectra

2 - The Tots - Enfantry

3 - The Beddie Wetter Syndrome - Faded

4 - Anorexic Niggaz - Top of Tha Izzo

5 - Arvo - Hellish Heaven

6 - Decoy - Echoes

7 - Masters of Monotyny - Failed Modulations

8 - Kronos Eros - Cuffed

9 - Vince's Friend - Pista de Audio

10 - Rolls Royce Rhythm Ace - Prize Cabbage

1. Furr - Keep Me Posted
2. ZZ is for Zzero - Leaving the Motherland
3. Kronos Eros - Cuffed
4. Bad Nutrition - Left
5. QueryString - Get the message$
6. Carmel - Rhyader Goes to the Butcher
7. The Colourist - Spectra
8. Subsequent Lavatarians - Break-up Song
9. Lococolada - Masquertina
10. Slodberg - Moving to Venus

HM - Slip Note, Victory Rose, Private Parts, Meatfist23, The Tots.

Guesses - Bad Nutrition (aerosteak?), QueryString (knockman?), The Colourist (Shane Sanders!), The Tots (Respirator!), Smithee & Co (Beardedone!), Moody Dudes (AndreasE?), John Frankenbarry (Sepheritoh!)

My Votes & (mini review)

1. Clarkus Stiller - Potato Jam (Misters Wooten, Clarke & Miller look out)
2. Slip Note - ######## vs. Floyd Cramer (Most memorable phrase in the whole competition but no Cramer-esque grace notes)
3. The Guru - Deserts Rise (nice composition)
4. Smithee & Co. - Insects' World (again nice composition)
5. Alliterative Agenda - Freedom from Fear (kept saying this to myself over the last week and it had a nice Simple Minds feel to it)
6. Swelle - The Lust Time (Great pop instrumentation and a decent Winwood-esque lead over the top)
7. Dark Wish - Mink Voyd (Great masquerade Mr. Gilmour wanna be)
8. Small Talk - My Young Love (Belfast Child and other recollections to me - nice masquerade)
9. Carmel - Rhyader Goes to the Butcher (great slow-burn soloing and tone)
10. Miles Roberts - Grandchildren (If this isn't your normal gig - it should be - great mix of styles and sounds)

HMs:
Victory Rose, Vince's Friend, Dick Melville, The Beddie Wetter Syndrome, John Mitchell Charred, Nestor

Can't wait to find out who these folks were and how far they strayed from their normal stuff.

I have only one guess that I think I have fairly close:

Midwesterners = Kovacs perhaps?

-Scott

Here are my favs for this month

1 - Bad Nutrition - Left
2 - The Colourist - Spectra
3 - Curiouser - Concerto
4 - Private Parts - Antasia
5 - The Tots - Enfantry
6 - Lil Jimmy Jr - Eat Dirt
7 - Smithee & Co - Insects' World
8 - Furr - Keep me posted
9 - The Stonerds - Carry
10 - Anorexic Niggaz - Top of the Izzo

HM's to Mid Westerners - Couch Potato, The Guru - Deserts Rise, and Carmel - Rhyader Goes to the Butcher.

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Return to “Music Cafe”