Cryogenic Froese [Old School Electronica]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm actually a bit reluctant to release this one. But I've been working on it so long I'm not sure I can actually hear it accurately any longer.

If you're into 1970's electronica of the German (especialy Klaus Schulze) variety, I'd be very grateful if you'd check it out and give me your reactions.

At the auditorium:
Cryogenic Froese

Hi emdot,
this is a very fine piece of music. It has exactly the sounds I like!
Thanks for sharing it! :harp: :)
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote:Hi emdot,
this is a very fine piece of music. It has exactly the sounds I like!
Really? With a name like "mellotronaut" I wouldn't have thunked it :hihi:

I'm very glad you liked it.

You'd probably do well to check out my song on the Chrysalid CD (click on my signature or visit cdbaby.com and search on Chrysalid, there's a demo clip of my tune there, it's all M-Tron except for the FX).

Thanks again!
I'll check it out. :phones:
"It dreamed itself along"

Definitely check it out and buy the CD. It's for a great cause and there are LOTS of great songs on it in a wide variety of styles.

ooh thats lovely, i imagine a deep foret/jungle atmosphere.lush green wilderness mmmm

vurt wrote:ooh thats lovely, i imagine a deep foret/jungle atmosphere.lush green wilderness mmmm
:D Sounds kind of like a Peppermint Pattie commercial:

"When I hear the sound of an Emdot old school electronica piece, I get the sensation of . . . "
:lol:

Very glad you liked it!

It is just quite beautiful but I fear you may have some clashing happening which becomes a bit apparent from 5.14 on. The phasing somehow feels a tad too extreme as well which in my ears only emphasizes the clashing a little.
Allready in the beginning I felt that the choir and flute sound somehow were a bit too penetrative. As if the track now lacks some air (to bring up a little cliché)
I may be totally off with my assumptions here, so blame that then on a creative mind and burnt ears from a production-session earlier.

All in all it is a loverly composition

Vurt: A foret I think is french for "drill" so I read your comment as deep-drilling in the jungle. For oil perhaps? Very un-ecological.

What? It was a typo. Oh, sorry :hihi:

The piece is very nice (almost too - but it just stays on the evil side). Very well done!

PS: as I stated in Rachmiel's thread I still had eq's down on the mixer while listening, so a slight re-writing of earlier comments is necessary. My own stupid mistake; it is much more clearer now; still it is the flute and the EP (instead of the choir) that I feel need some eqíng in clashing frequencies.
But truthfully; it sounds a lot better now, then it did on the first run :oops:

mystahr wrote:PS: as I stated in Rachmiel's thread I still had eq's down on the mixer while listening, so a slight re-writing of earlier comments is necessary. My own stupid mistake; it is much more clearer now; still it is the flute and the EP (instead of the choir) that I feel need some eqíng in clashing frequencies.
But truthfully; it sounds a lot better now, then it did on the first run :oops:
Actually, I tend to agree with you about there being some clashing, that's why I was hesitant to publish this. But I needed new ears to hear it. I'm really glad for your comments and I'll look into the EP/flute relationship. Thanks!!!!

respirator wrote:The piece is very nice (almost too - but it just stays on the evil side). Very well done!
Thanks! My wife finds this piece very sad. As with a lot of Schulze's best work, I think it's more bitter-sweet: melancholy mixed with a touch of hope. But after my wife told me it's very sad, I listened again and now I can't help but hear this as a soundtrack to a documentary about Iraqi civilian casualties. Despite the fact that the title refers to cold (cryogenic), I've always associated it with a hot desert scene, so adding the Iraqi angle in my mind was inevitable. But, then, everyone's mental pictures are going to be different 8)

Just catching up on things I downloaded yesterday.

I like a lot of parts in this. You're stuff always has that late 70s early 80 TD/Vangelis vibe to it, but in a way that just isn't straight revivalism, which I like.

I could really do without the wave-like white noise washes in the first minute. In a lot of cases, those kinds of sounds just remind me of those schlocky new age meditational aids from the late 80s. At least the music that accompanies it isn't Pachelbel's Canon.

shamann wrote:Just catching up on things I downloaded yesterday.

I like a lot of parts in this. You're stuff always has that late 70s early 80 TD/Vangelis vibe to it, but in a way that just isn't straight revivalism, which I like.

I could really do without the wave-like white noise washes in the first minute. In a lot of cases, those kinds of sounds just remind me of those schlocky new age meditational aids from the late 80s. At least the music that accompanies it isn't Pachelbel's Canon.
:lol: You crack me up. If you associate those cliche synth SFX with late 80's meidtation aid New Age, then I can't blame you for wanting to do without them. But for me they're really mid-to-late '70's Schulze. I can't help putting them in on this kind of track. My wife would probably agree with you, though :D
shamann wrote:...but in a way that just isn't straight revivalism...
I really appreciate that comment. I'm always worried I don't pull that off--and in some cases I'm sure I don't--so hearing you say this is very gratifying. Thanks for the listen and comments!

P.S. I'm really sick of Pachelbel's Canon in D as well. Too bad. It's really a great work. But it's kind of the Stairway To Heaven (or Let It Be, or Dark Side Of The Moon) of the late 17th century. Good stuff, but I just can't listen to it any more!

Return to “Music Cafe”