music for fun- EDIT please listen and advise

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

enjoyed tuz, you got yer own slant on things and that kinda stuff is worth alot.
how things sound to you is everything,

dunder wrote:got it... thx

one of these daYs i should get a 'real' midi thing and not rely on this crappy driver i originally made for the c64.... ("but it werks fer me, and m too lazy to learn new tricks..." said the old dog)and something where I can export a complete file...
oh well,
it's just for fun and all...

but m thinking of buying a new keyboard this year (must have new toys and all)so the change will probably happen.

you'd be amused by what I use as a keyboard, and it's probably as old as,well, dirt
take a pic. :p

vtx wrote:enjoyed tuz, you got yer own slant on things and that kinda stuff is worth alot.
thanks vtx. my things sound boring to me after a while. that's why i get taken over by hopelessness.

tuz wrote:
vtx wrote:enjoyed tuz, you got yer own slant on things and that kinda stuff is worth alot.
thanks vtx. my things sound boring to me after a while. that's why i get taken over by hopelessness.
The musician always hears his stuff differently from his audience. ;)
Mizutaphile.

Ildon wrote:
tuz wrote:
after listening to my own tunes a hundred times, i feel like they all suck and could have been way better. i feel like i lack some crucial elements in music making. usually i put feeling before everything else.. but i don't always have good feelings as the song progresses.

another thing... please say shit that'll make me turn this into a better tune for everyone's enjoyment. you want vocals, you want less random diddling? a bit scale/beat variation without going to far away from the eastern feel. whatever you'd like. i'd be interested to know.

little bump for those who can listen and help me. please read edited first post and maybe you could help. i want this finished for my own sanity. all this time spent on music and not a single finished tune that i'm ok with. :)

ok... i'm miserable so please f**king help...

Downloading now tuz...

I'll edit this post.

Edit : I actually really enjoyed that. but what i would recommend, instead of saying "do this" or "do that" or whatever, listen to this http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/play ... ist=artist see if it inspires you any. You never know....99% of what he uses is all "real instruments."
Last edited by Reverse Engineer on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuz wrote:ok... i'm miserable so please f**king help...

cheer up
cant listen now as its late but ill grab it tomorrow, as i will many other tracks here in the cafe, i just aint had time to sit and give much a fair listen.

be back sometime later :hug:

tuz wrote:
Ildon wrote:
tuz wrote:
after listening to my own tunes a hundred times, i feel like they all suck and could have been way better. i feel like i lack some crucial elements in music making. usually i put feeling before everything else.. but i don't always have good feelings as the song progresses.
I've learned that a lot of what you think is "bad" or "awkward" when you listen to your own stuff is actually fine! But if you think there're holes in your knowledge or you're overlooking something... you more than likely are. Thankfully music theory is easy. :D
Mizutaphile.

Okay, just listened to the edited version. I have no idea what the hell you think is wrong with this tune, hehe. I think it's great. The only criticism I can give it is that the acoustic bass isn't loud enough! :P

Maybe you're so frustrated because this avantgarde sound isn't what you're after?
Mizutaphile.

ahhh, so what do you think is wrong with it.... its what it is, a great and musical work....
quit beating yerself up and make more music dimmit!

(I tryed to take a picture, but my camera is needing replacement, instead I went to the website of a studio I used to work at to see if they still had one but to no avail anyway maybe you'd be amused by the studio )
for entertaining porpoises only

tuz wrote:EDIT: i'll probably make this my big project. maybe an end maybe a new beginning. get rid of cheesy conga or replace... add funky vocals. give proper structure/variation to the whole damned thing. i'd like to see your thoughts on what i should do to make this more fun. i really want the finished version to sound professional for once. only then, i think i'll be satisfied. please be brutally truthful and give me some advice. like: tolga give it up... it ain't ever gonna sound that good. or tolga just leave it alone, it ain't going anywhere and you know it. or maybe... tolga, you could add this or that or whatever. if you add vocals make them sound like this guy.... add hihats bla bla. this is a modest tune that i did to get the turkishness out of me a bit. parts of it came out but parts of it need some pulling.
Okay, let's address each of these:

The conga isn't cheesy at all. An instrument can't be cheesy, only the way it's played can be cheesy, and there is ZERO cheese on this song.

I think this song is perfectly structured. Just because you don't strictly adhere to any contemporary or classical method doesn't mean it's any less valid. Naoshi Mizuta doesn't stick to a verse-chorus-etc. method. Some of his music has been said to be "painfully repetitive," and he doesn't follow any traditional songwriting method. A lot of the time he'll have only two sections to a song, each with a melody that he'll repeat 2 or 4 times. The first part of the song will usually have a melody and some harmony repeated for about 1-3 minutes, making subtle changes to the piece as it develops. Then he'll move onto the second section of the song and very abruptly change instrumentation and/or key until the song stops, and he sounds great! That's a great example right there.

I think it sounds professional as is and I wouldn't add any hihats to it. A vocal here or there would be cool, but nothing too noticeable. The trumpet really steals the song here.

Hope this helps. :D

Oh yeah, and if you quit making music because you think you suck, I'll never show you any of my eXT tunes. :x :hug:

Oh, and one last thing: if you feel you're expressing yourself to the best of your ability the way you want to express yourself, your song is perfect. Different does not mean bad! Your melodies aren't singable, but they're still easy to follow. You use a lot of repetition and loops, but it doesn't get boring at all. Why? Because you have an interesting melody layered over it! Some people will need to wrap their head around this music, but that's not your fault.

I love your style. It reminds me of a young Naoshi Mizuta. And by that I mean, you don't SOUND like a young Naoshi Mizuta, you just do things differently and take a "less is more" approach to it all, but still quite haven't found your musical self yet. Great stuff, and I think this track is complete. Add some vocals, see how that works. If it doesn't work, take 'em out. Then I suggest you move on and make more Tuztunes. 8)

This is nothing to be ashamed of in the least. :D

Edit: Man, I edited this post like, 80 times.
Mizutaphile.

and I advise you make more....
That piece is wonderful tuz, fun and funky, makes me want to explore mid-eastern music, as my basic knowledge is sadly lacking.
I kinda know me so I'm gonna talk about my favorite subject...me

My influences are more along the lines of american indian, indian and chinese and japanese classical oriental infused with western, folk and european classical.

I have no idea where my current non-sence comes from, but it just does, so I do.
The biggest thing is although I like to think someone else might be amused by what I do, I'm more interested in just pursuing the creation. It's also nice to get feedback (I enjoy the "needs more cowbell" comments the most) but really, its all about me creating stuff.
One of the reasons I stopped making music for about 30 years or so was that I had other, equally satisfying outlets for my madness.
Now the situation is different, and I find that making music is the easiest path yet the hardest to do. Easiest because I require very little space to doit, and my music is based on a lifetime of 'doingit' as a recordist, a writer and an editor. You know why it's the hardest.

Thats why I doit.
I Am Always Learning how to doit, which involves the simplicity of 'doingit', then 'doingit' again, just like sex (allusions free of charge)only not.

(I can never no enuff)
:bang: stop banging yer head and continue banging yer keys. (did I say I sucked terribly at violin and eventually gave it up :D)

haha.... only edit-ted it 40 times...

and if yer still reading I'm currently watching boo boo runs wild....hmmm

nowadays when they see a bear in 'jellystone, they just kill it....

edit OMG the rangers told to shoot boo boo!!!!! just like at the 'real' jellystone......

edit again and the toon ends with all parties 'spanking' each other....
for entertaining porpoises only

Return to “Music Cafe”