Acoustic Bass Samples?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could someone recommend some really authentic Acoustic (upright) Bass samples? Just can't seem to find any that sound real over the entire range of the instrument. Doesn't have to be free or even cheap, but at least downloadable, if possible. I use Sampletank, but can translate from several formats.

Many Thanks.

Stephen

Best free one I've found is a preset somewhere within Plugsound Free from http://www.usbsounds.com/jsp/demos.jsp , can't recall the name of the preset right now, but it's quite expressive with good velocity layering. Works especially well with subtle use of the pitch wheel while playing. Anyway definitely worth a try.

Also a not bad soundfont here : http://www.lyd-teknik.dk/soundfonts.html

Thanks Pants,

Very interesting - I have both of those already and you've nailed the sound I'm looking for. Each has it's own problem for me though - I'm really looking for something that I can import into Sampletank which eliminates (I think) the Plugsound, and in my opinion, that SF2 sounds wonderful solo, but loses something in an ensemble mix. Maybe I'm being too picky...

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Stephen

Upright is the holy grail of samples imo. My friend Justin plays upright in Atlanta of all places and I've been meaning to sample his $18000 bass, but haven't had the chance (nor balls) yet.
The best software upright I've heard is Trilogy, hands down. Nothing else comes as close imo. Of course it will set you back a few hundred dollars.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Thanks, F.

Yeah, I actually know a few upright players here in ATL (not Justin, though) but I'd be clueless as how to actually try and sample one well. Trilogy sounds amazing, but I'd have a hard time justifying that kinda $$$. Maybe one day.

Stephen

I keep hoping someone will create an Upright Bass soundset for Wusikstation but so far we've gotten everything but. :(

The sonic implants one sound good for $12.00. But it is a soundfont.

P.T. wrote:The sonic implants one sound good for $12.00. But it is a soundfont.
You have a link?

pd wrote:I keep hoping someone will create an Upright Bass soundset for Wusikstation but so far we've gotten everything but. :(
Upright Bass for Wusik format you say....
:-)
It's been started here. Some of the recording is done ... editing and testing etc. is underway :-)
So you should see one for Wusik / ManyStation / ManyGuitar format very soon from us.

I'll tell you guys more about it as soon as i can. But we will be doing a Soundfont version as well as some other formats.
It will be similiar to our Ultimate Bass Kit and will be Very reasonably priced.
Also an Ovation Acoustic / Electric Bass has been recently sampled here, and is also in the editing stage.

Paul

Cool Paul. 8) Thanks for letting us know about the ManyTone Bass. I look forward to it.

Phil.

algodon wrote:Could someone recommend some really authentic Acoustic (upright) Bass samples? Just can't seem to find any that sound real over the entire range of the instrument. Doesn't have to be free or even cheap, but at least downloadable, if possible. I use Sampletank, but can translate from several formats.

Many Thanks.

Stephen
I'm surprised no one yet has mentioned the free double bass samples at http://www.echochamber.ch/exs24/exs242.html

Very good samples, mapped to EXS, which means the .wav samples are separate and available for use in other samplers. (And I think Kontact can directly import .exs format).

SWTrex

pd wrote:
You have a link?
www.sonicimplants.com

Easy enough.

There's a demo mp3 you can listen to.

P.T. wrote:
pd wrote:
You have a link?
www.sonicimplants.com

Easy enough.

There's a demo mp3 you can listen to.
Found it and liked it. I also like the price so I think I will be getting it. :D thanks for the pointer.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses. Most of the suggestions haven't worked out so well, mostly due to the limitations of my translator and Sampletank being weird with velocity splits. Many excellent suggestions and very much appreciated.

FTC, found a really nice one (.aiff) at www.sampleswap.org in the multisamples area. Not perfect, but my favorite so far - and free! Keep 'em coming and thanks again.

Stephen

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”