PRO Mixes the 70's VRS Today

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just started using a set of Shure E3 in ear monitors(headphones)to listen to MP3 encoded music. The response is somewhat lacking in bass, however the most amazing thing is how the mixes of the 70's ( Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Shawn Phillips, Genesis etc) are more easily leveled and enjoyed as compared to more recent mixes ( The Tragically Hip, Dream Theater ,Brian Adams, YOU NAME IT etc...). My take on this at first listen is that the compression (BE SURE EVERYONE HEARS EVERY SINGLE NOTE OF OUR SONG) mixing or mastering makes for 'GRATE' 'beat the other guy's song' radio approach to today's music, but destroys the DYNAMIC musical quality that can be created 'IF' one wants to offer a balanced musical experience.

IS IT JUST ME or can we please DROP this bullshit IN YOUR FACE production approach!

OK so you don't GAS about how it sounds.

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop.

WHAT A MIX!

I'm serious, listen to some music with in ear/MP3/TODAYS modern life style listening habits. (TEENAGERS &$#$%#^) while reviewing the mixes.

The point of getting a great mix has always been to accomodate the way people listen to music...NO? Car stereo and all, ya know. [deleted] mono environments. Well, the MP3 headphone/in ear environment has got to be the WORST space to GET IT RIGHT.

MAN what a way to spend some quality time!

actually, lots of people care....there has been so very much said about this over and over and over i don't know what is left to add.

if you are new to this issue, this article is as good a place as any to start, and confirms exactly what you are describing, just have a look:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.n ... 2E005DAF1C

and I agree with you....give it a bloody rest already with the overcompression. Personally i like to have some dynamic range in recordings, not just FULL ON ALL THE TIME

Thanx Muff Wiggler, in some ways I guess I am new to this issue.(I guess that means that I don't listen to many new Pop/Rock records). The RUSH album waveform diagrams from the article will be very useful to me when as I record and mix my musical ideas.

Cheers

I think the ubiquity of compression comes from the fact that 90% of casual listeners don't realise that the thing that makes that one album sound so much "beter" than the other is 6db of volume.
♫♪♫♫♪♫

Is it me or is the same kind of thing going on with films?

I've noticed films tend to make good use of dynamics (the one's I've watched anyway). The last movie I watched in the theater was Narnia, released in December I believe, and that had lots of dynamic variation.

I think it's due to the fact that theater's are pretty hifi, there's little background noise during a film when compared to a shopping center or car, and it's really hard to make things go BOOM or ROAR unless the dialog is comparatively quiet.
♫♪♫♫♪♫

Return to “Production Techniques”