Audio Editing in Nuendo and Protools

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First up, I edit music, dialogue and fx in Protools TDM for a living, so I'm fairly accustomed to using the multitool of Protools a LOT. It permits me to scrub fairly well across the audio and easily move stuff around in my session.

A friend of mine and fellow editor uses Cubase SX 3 at home for his music, and contiously informs me of how inferior the audio editing capabilities are in that application.

I have heard that Nuendo has extended capabilities for audio editing, so I wanted to pop the question to Nuendo users here and ask :

How does it compare to Protools for audio editing ?

For those who don't use Protools on a regular basis, in that application(TDM version) you get keys to:
- SPLIT
- TRIM edges
- FADE
- ZOOM
- MOVE CURSOR across tracks, regions and sync points inside regions, in increments seperate from the grid if I want such as 1/4 frames)
- CONSOLIDATE selection (simple no-fx bounce)
- usual CUT/COPY/PASTE with one key each

The multitool enables me to (multiple choices per tool can by cycled with their selection key)
- TRIM, SCRUB TRIM, TimeCompressExpand TRIM
- SELECT (inside & outside regions)
- GRAB(entire region only or selection
- FADE (cross, in & out with selectable defaults)

and of course I can position the cursor anywhere by clicking inside the track display with the selector tool(sometimes tricky with lots of stuff and the multitool :) )

So, those are the big time savers in Protools, apart from the rock solid 10-bit automation across all parameters, which makes EQ automation so easy.

How does Nuendo do in those areas ?
Will mix for fun

does this really belong in the production forum?

Yes. AFAIK Cubase's audio editing capabilities are supposed to be vastly inferior to Protools.

I'm asking just how true that is for Nuendo. It concerns production of audio on Nuendo, be it music or sound-to-picture.
Will mix for fun

Return to “Production Techniques”