How to Record the Whispering Screamer

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every bit helps. Thanks to all!

Another which i don,t think has been mentioned is to use a dynamic mic up close and get the singer as close as the pop shield will allow during the whispered parts but only a foot and or so away on the screamed parts.No more than 12 inches differe
nce between positions.
Compress the hell out of this mic 10 -20 db gain reduction as long as there are no nasty artefacts

Now set up a condenser a couple of feet awayin a position that avoids phasing and compress a little and boost the lows and top somewhat with the most tubey sounding eq you have.(apply a sharp roll off at 60 hz first)

Mix the two signals to taste.

The condenser at a fixed distance should take care of your" 2 different rooms" and give the vox some air and a bit of natural room and homogeny etc and the dynamic should handle the high spl of the screaming no problem and allow the minimum of movement from "whisper" to "scream" position.

Also try using one of these mics to give the vocal its presence and cutting it out of the other .

Using one for tonal consistance and one for dynamic consistance..

Just tweak those knobs ,fine tune the mic positions and knock the shit out of the singer untill it all sounds good.
Last edited by funkynuts on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your family and posessions becoming the property of funkynuts.

"Just tweak those knobs ,fine tune the mic positions and knock the shit out of the singer untill it all sounds good." :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's a candidate for my new sig :D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Learn the song,and ride the gain,if you really want the same sound.
Make sure you have mic that can deal with high pressure...Like a DPA 4006...
Hackintosh i7 | Focal twin |
MH labs 2882 +dsp |
Logic Studio | Nuendo 5 |

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:"Just tweak those knobs ,fine tune the mic positions and knock the shit out of the singer untill it all sounds good." :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's a candidate for my new sig :D
Glad you appreciate :D
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your family and posessions becoming the property of funkynuts.

Return to “Production Techniques”