Nuendo question(s)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have several questions about nuendo(maybe silly , dunno), before i ask, some system details
PIII , 3Ghz ,1G RAM,800mhz front BUS, 2MB L2cache , on-board s-card:

1-how dependent is exporting from Nuendo on the quality of the soundcard?...sometimes the song sounds good but after exporting in wav or high quality mp3 , effects dissapear...highs are mushy etc.

2-after creating some tracks with VST synths , exporting them at 130BPM, importing into another(130bpm) song as a new track
the wav is not 130BPM anymore
(tried FIxed and TempoTrack modes, nothing works..?

3-IK multimedia's Amplitube max's out my 3.0G CPU , what are the system req for that software? my pc won't even blink with it :shock:

4-what's a good VST filter , looking for a simple filter like dj mixers have (ex like the Allen&Heath's Xone:92 filters/effects)

thank you for your patience
and for your answers in advance.
sim

Oh MAN, you gotta be kidding. Let me get this straight: you spent $2,000 USD on Nuendo - Steinberg's flagship Audio Post-Production system, instead of $800 for Cubase - and you're running it on a lousy on-board sound card!!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh! That's rich! Can you guess what the problem is? (apart from using cracked software?)

Unbelievable. Literally. :roll:

it teh cRak4ohrZ

maybe he got it on ebay...:hihi:

WoJ

Chill out, give him a break, help him. Don't be ignorant. If he's really using the cracked version, help him out anyway and advise him to buy it. If he's serious about his doing, he will.

Can't help you there though, not a Steinberg product user.

Thanks Chris, you seemed to be the most helpfull , appart from the old lady bunch above :) yak-yak but nothing intelligent to say.I use Oxygen 8 with vanguard, do you find the key response a bit delayed?

Raz: i never said I haven't paid for , i never said the onboard was the only card that i've tried it with, i just asked a simple question,does the s-card process the exporting or the CPU?
P4 3Ghz 1Gig RAM
Delta 1010Lt
SX3 Reason Acid5

The CPU processes the export, not the sound card.

simc6440 wrote:Thanks Chris, you seemed to be the most helpfull , appart from the old lady bunch above :) yak-yak but nothing intelligent to say.I use Oxygen 8 with vanguard, do you find the key response a bit delayed?

Raz: i never said I haven't paid for , i never said the onboard was the only card that i've tried it with, i just asked a simple question,does the s-card process the exporting or the CPU?
You didn't ask a simple question, you asked 4. But in the spirit of detente, here goes:
The CPU processes the sound, but your sound card has to be up to the challenge of processing low latency, ASIO applications and keeping it all in sync. If your card can't do that (it can't), then you're going to get phase problems, even tempo problems, like you're having, and the CPU will max out quickly.

Amplitube is using all of your CPU because you're not using a decent sound card with an ASIO driver. Some people have reported getting decent reuslts with the ASIO4ALL drivers, you could try that instead (although if you do have a decent sound card - even a SoundBlaster - I don't understand why you'd want to use your Mobo audio).

Think of the complex demands of syncing up audio, MIDI, VST instruments, insert and send FX; it's a big job, and you don't trust it to a cheap add-on designed for the bare minimum of audio playback. I've never tried Nuendo with an onboard sound card, so I'm not sure what it sounds like, but I've tried Cubase with default drivers on a Sound Blaster, and it wouldn't even play back; I don't know how you even got sound out of it! Probably only because your processor is so fast.

So, in all seriousness, let me ask you: why are you trying to use such a high grade application with a free on-board sound card? I'm really curious.

I'd also like to know how you got a PIII to run at 3 GHz...

ew
A spectral heretic...

simc6440 wrote:Hi,

I have several questions about nuendo(maybe silly , dunno), before i ask, some system details
PIII , 3Ghz ,1G RAM,800mhz front BUS, 2MB L2cache , on-board s-card:
That's a really interesting sounding setup you've got there. Could you be more specific? Did you mean a PIV, not PIII? It's very important to know *which* onboard sound card. Some of them can be quite good, but most are crap. I can't believe you've gotten up to Nuendo but have not bothered to get a reasonable audio device.
1-how dependent is exporting from Nuendo on the quality of the soundcard?...
Not at all dependent. The sound card isn't involved in this.
2-after creating some tracks with VST synths , exporting them at 130BPM, importing into another(130bpm) song as a new track
the wav is not 130BPM anymore
(tried FIxed and TempoTrack modes, nothing works..?
No idea, this might be a good question for the Steinberg forums.
3-IK multimedia's Amplitube max's out my 3.0G CPU , what are the system req for that software? my pc won't even blink with it :shock:
You could max out a 3.4Ghz PIV with the fastest RAM available too. There's not a machine that can run this software, that can't be taxed by it. That said, it should at least work. Lots of people are using AT very successfully, on less capable hardware. Any suggestions from the IK support folks on this?
4-what's a good VST filter , looking for a simple filter like dj mixers have (ex like the Allen&Heath's Xone:92 filters/effects)
What do you want to do exactly? Vocal processing? Kjaerhaus GAC-1 comes highly recommended.

Laugh if you want to, but I really like this one:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1304.html

simc6440 wrote:Thanks Chris, you seemed to be the most helpfull , appart from the old lady bunch above :) yak-yak but nothing intelligent to say.I use Oxygen 8 with vanguard, do you find the key response a bit delayed?

You can shut them up and make them eat their words if you relay what happened after you posted your question on the Steinberg support forum. Because you didn't mention that, they naturally assume you have the "H2O" version of Nuendo, which is logical, since it's usually the case when people ask such questions about Nuendo in particular.

It sounds like your first experience with an Audio/MIDI computer music host is Nuendo. That's fairly unusual. You didn't start with a lighter version of Cubase and move up to Nuendo when your film production contracts required it. It's going to be regarded as very strange and suspicious that someone jumped straight into Nuendo, and more suspicious that someone with newbie questions about things like ASIO latency for instance, is starting out with Nuendo.

So, once you realize this, don't take it personally. You're getting some good advice. My advice would be along the lines of "Buy and use energyXT until you're really comfortable with the ideas of computer music and VST", and "Buy a M-Audio Delta card for trouble-free low-latency ASIO operation." Although there are a ton of other options. Even if I had Nuendo, I'd probably use eXT more, since it starts up in less than the time it takes to move my finger off the mouse and onto my keyboard. Works just as well as any of them, and stays out of my way.

thank you all for your advice ,Sorry madea typo i have a PIV 3.0ghz....
Raz, i haven't got to a decent s-card yet , spent the money on software but soon..which one would you recommend?i have also and external audigy creative , but i find it slow.

KVRian:i've tried that filter and it is pretty good, i posted (unfortuatelly) before looking arround this site , and i've found some nice filter plugs.i was looking for a general solid filter , for dj effects similar to ones build in mixers i've used over the past years , namely VCF-Filters with LFO's.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2030.html Naive LPF
Developer: Admiral Quality
is exactly what i need.
I like this site there's a lot to learn...

thank you all for your patience
sim
P4 3Ghz 1Gig RAM
Delta 1010Lt
SX3 Reason Acid5

ASIO4ALL might solve all your latency problems.
I feel comfortable recommending Delta cards. AP2496 for 2-channel, Delta1010 for 8 channel. I know there are theoretically "Better" cards and rack units, but I don't care. Delta devices are already well beyond the threshold of human perception, and the drivers work extremely well, so I see no benefit at all, and lots of risk, in a more expensive card.

Jepp... Question 1, 2 and 3 will probobly be solved with a descent asio-driver. Install and test the free ASIO4ALL, and then give some feedback on the result.

Edit: link to http://asio4all.com/

Return to “Production Techniques”