Record midi via pc keyboard

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need a application that enables the pc keyboard as my midi interface.

I program drums on already recorded music, and I would like to record midi with the pc keyboard.

Do anyone know any (free) programs to do this?

Edit: Im uing Cubase
Last edited by perottol on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tried a free application called MIDI-OX, but I couldnt figure it out, also I didnt seem to be the thing I was looking for.

Any ideas?

Oh cmon.. Really noone?

Basically you'll need two separate programs. A virtual MIDI keyboard that can be routed to any MIDI output and a virtual MIDI loopback device, such as MIDI Yoke (from the same guy who does MIDI ox)

You set the loopback device so that you'll send MIDI to a virtual port - that way Cubase thinks it receives MIDI from an external source.

There are some VST plugins that emulates MIDI keyboard (Trollo, Quickeys), but I don't think you can actually record notes (you can't in Tracktion at least) you play with them, unless you route their output to a virtual port somehow.
CubaseStudio4 µTonic/Rapture Nitro/GS-201/Ohmicide/TBK 1&3

Thank you!!! Trollo did it for me!

I set up trollo as a VSTi, use this for midi input on my track, and I can choose whatever VSTi I want for output.

I can use my keyboard as a midi interface in fruityloops
www.strangejuice.com
Music, Sound, Web Design

Trollo is nice. Doesn't your host have an option for using the pc keyboard to type-to-midi?

Couple of problems using the PC keyboard: You need some way to enter velocity, and I believe there are some combinations of keys that the PC key controller won't allow.

perottol wrote:I tried a free application called MIDI-OX, but I couldnt figure it out, also I didnt seem to be the thing I was looking for.

Any ideas?
Don't toss MIDI-OX. It can be confusing at first, but it's still one of the best things ever.

Return to “Production Techniques”