getting that sub-bass sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey

just wondering.. I was listening to one of my uncles albums he's working on and the bass guitar was soooo perfect, boomy, whatnot. He mentioned something of a sub-exciter or something... i dont know what exactly did this, but I want to get this sound on every mix. I do own izotope ozone and stuff like that, wondering how i could get that "pro" sub-bass sound with any audio track?? is this merely achieved by EQ? by multiband compression? or some exciter?

RonC

or how about using a synth tracker in a subwoofing low sine?

what do they do?

Do you own Trash too? There are some great presets available from the Izotope web site.

EQ definitely helps, but things like distortion and compression can also help.

yup i own trash too.

which presets do you recommend

RonC

I forget which ones I have used in the past. Just download a bunch and try them out. I usually record a loop and play it back while changing the presets to see which one I like the best.

rpc9943 wrote:Hey
is this merely achieved by EQ?
RonC
It can be, but it's more a matter of cutting out pieces of the spectrum, than it is boosting the subbass. Also, it sounds counterintuitive, but you can get more perceived bass by putting a shelf that cuts off the really low sub range.

Let me get this straight -- you have access to the guy who is making the recording, and instead of asking him how he does it (or getting him to let you use it!), you ask KVR?

blah
Last edited by splattabreakz on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

Low Pass filter, 1 or 2 poles, with slight resonance, set at a pretty low cut-off frequency. Then, use a limiter (I recommend W1). Finally, make sure you highpass everything in the mix except for the kick drum and the bass (if you're using a parametric EQ, it should have a high pass option), at a low cutoff frequency, no resonance. If you add that all together, it'll sound rich and boomy because
(1) The bass itself is rich and boomy
(2) Theres nothing interfering with the bass sounding rich and boomy, except for the kick drum which will usually not bring too much trouble, depending on EQ settings

thx guys and my uncle was like "it took SO LONG, dude.....SO LONG." and he said all this hardware stuff he used, but I know software can do it better, his music is like funk city hsll big band reggae stuff... :P

or something

RonC

there is a sub harmonic exciter hardware unit but I can't remenber who made it. Its about £100. There is a free mda plugin called Subsynth that does something similair, but I find it a bit tricky to use well.

waves maxx bass can do the trick

rpc9943 wrote:but I know software can do it better
sorry to say but (IMO) HW is much better for bass

and he said all this hardware stuff he used, but I know software can do it better
Hilarious.

I know a lot of people swear by Waves RBass, from the Rennaisance series. Same algo as the maxx bass(I think), but much simpler and cheaper.

Have you tried Voxengo LFMax ?

Return to “Production Techniques”