Find correct sample BPM in Logic 7 Pro? Loop Util no worky.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, all... been playing around with some full-length acapella samples for fun, and some don't have a BPM value assigned (meaning, not spelled out in the file name).

I have some great acapellas that would be a blast to remix, but for the life of me I can't get them to sync up... driving me nuts.

Logic's Loop Utility seems to assign random tempos to the samples, so I run into syncing issues between the sample's BPM and Logic's BPM. I've also tried increments in the BPM to no avail (ie. 101.15 BPM). Run into issues with the sync working for a few bars, then falling out of sync...

I understand that many of these acapellas are recorded from vinyl dub plates, so maybe the turntable wasn't spot-on as far as BPM, and also that human vocalists can flop all over the place as far as tempo... I've searched on line for any info for particular acapella BPMs, and even if I do find a nnumber to use, it still doesn't.

Any advice/techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and check out www.beastieboys.com for acapellas from thier more recent albums... cool suff, and they give you the BPM to use (whew)...

Hey John!

sounds like you want to save this to your harddisk:

http://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php
Has helped me loads (for pitch shifting loops to tempo)...other than that, just try and chop up the file and insert the bits when they feel right.

Marco :)

welcome to kvr btw, what a cool find of samples :eek:

Thanks for the replies... I'll definately check that link out.

Here are where I found some of them... quite a few bands these days are starting to offer acapellas of their stuff for remixers. Pretty good marketing idea. 2 of these links are hip hpo, but I like throwing them down with a heavy bass line and break beats to kick the tempo up a bit. Lots of fun to play with.

www.beastieboys.com
www.crowncityrockers.com
www.beansacapellas.co.uk

Return to “Production Techniques”