Different Stereo Conundrum Blues

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm finishing up a piece which I have worked on monomanically to sound good as a mix - before mastering EQ and/or compression. So, I've listened to it on different systems...most sound reasonably close to my home monitors BUT...when I play the proto-CD on systems with sub-woofers (i.e. my office computer or a friend's surround sound thang) it is yo way bass heavy -actually there is no bass on the piece - it's the drums (which are kind of tympanic in the piece)...rendering it almost unlistenable without some EQing.

I don't want to destroy the mix that was meticulously constructed. I realize that my best bet is to experiment with cutting the low freqs...but I'm concerned that if I fool around with the EQ of the mix, it may end up sounding lousy on regular systems, earphones, etc. Any suggestions as to how to cut through this paradox? Any production technique that I'm not thinking of? I have Ozone and a number of the Voxengo things. (This is one of the best things I've ever done and I would love to have it sound good through a number of systems). Thanks!!

well I'm no mastering whizz but in that situation I'd probably try Har-Bal and see at what frequencies the bass cuts off in a reference CD, then try the same on your mix
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Thanks, Jbravo...sounds like good advice...have to check out Har-Bal

Return to “Production Techniques”