Depeche Mode, "Playing the Angel"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

still growingly interesting tracks. right now, i like the revelator song and suffer well most...

...yes, "suffer well", definitely the best song on that cd.

*bump* - any more new listeners around?

It's growing on me also, I found it fairly difficult to listen to the first couple of times, particularly after the success of Precious - the most obvious commercial track on there. "A Pain..." is the next single, released December.

I think DM lost their touch when Alan Wilder left.
Once said that, I must admit I didn't expect this new album to be so good; it caught me unawares. I find it very good, quite better than Ultra and Exciter. What i find irritating is the fact that both songs sung by gore break the listening flow for me. I don't like them much. But 'A pain that i'm used to', 'Suffer well', 'The sinner in me', 'Nothing's Impossible' or 'Precious' are much much better than I expected.
A nice surprise when I had lost hope years ago.

It has really grown up on me also...it's weird that the songs I like the most are the ones written partly by Gahan. My favorite from the entire album is Suffer Well, love it.

simply my favourite album since songs of faith and devotion....
Ultra was quite good, exciter not bad, but PTA is excellent..
I love Lilian , a "simple" electro pop track..
Nothing's impossible is awesome, Suffer well is a bit "old school" but sound great..
A pain.. a depeche classic...
I like the Gore's tracks too..Damaged people is very "Black celebrationish"
In short i love it..
I can't wait to see them 3 times in february in POPBercy in Paris next year..
black macbook+LIVE 7

exciter had some great song writing on it (and Songs of Faith and... had some of the best music of their career). I hope that they keep this going. Ultra was just sounded like it was a collection of mediocre songs (with the exception of the first two singles) that were extremely well produced. I have a feeling that the new DM may suffer from the same problem (but I hope it doesn't).

the german keyboards mag reviewed PTA and came to the conclusion that this is one of the best DM longplayers ever. they could not even spot a single bad track on that album. the reviewer is really impressed by "macrovision". uhm - not exactly my opinion ;)

well, after 3 weeks of listening, I really like it, but would still prefer violator.

Cryogenic wrote:Boring, and uninspired.
Even the song titles are cliché and (b)anal.
Is there a link so i CAN listen to your tracks that ARE inspired and not boring?

origami wrote:I think DM lost their touch when Alan Wilder left.
Once said that, I must admit I didn't expect this new album to be so good; it caught me unawares. I find it very good, quite better than Ultra and Exciter. What i find irritating is the fact that both songs sung by gore break the listening flow for me. I don't like them much. But 'A pain that i'm used to', 'Suffer well', 'The sinner in me', 'Nothing's Impossible' or 'Precious' are much much better than I expected.
A nice surprise when I had lost hope years ago.
And you make these comments afyter serving up the crap that you have done? f**k me!

Feeling wounded, precious Plexi? There really isn't much wrong with them airing their opinions on music created by other people which you happen to like.

And then there's this bullshit about not being able to voice a negative opinion on something until you are able to better it. You must of at some point managed to figure out why something is good even though you couldn't better it. It works both ways.

*bump* - but back to topic.

any words on the surround mixes from the deluxe edition?

its a great album
its growing on me like a virus
that last part of the sinner in me with beat going crazy is just fantastic....

nothings imposible

i think it's the best DM album in a long time. 'precious' is amongst the best and most emotional songs i have ever heard. with 'suffer well', 'john the revelator' and 'darkest star' next to it the album is really strong in all aspects. should get a grammy for the production as well, the lot of well used effects and sounds on it is just amazing. my most intense listening experience in this direction since christian morgenstern's 'carolea' album.

love it!
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Return to “Music Cafe”