Depeche Mode, "Playing the Angel"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For all those who are already owner or listeners of this album (i think it's not yet shipping everywhere, but should be as of tomorrow)...

what do you think about it? I'm still listening and don't have a clear opinion so far, but...

well, you first :)

Boring, and uninspired.
Even the song titles are cliché and (b)anal.
History is full of two kinds of people.

DM is the reason i even started doin music. they are GODS to me, but i really cant decide wether this album is crap, or genious! its balancing on the edge for me.
guess i have to listen to it some more, as the story goes for most DM tunes at first.
tho, this one is pretty different somehow from what ive heard and expected from them tbh.

but i gotta say "i want it all", is really beautiful! :)

some ineteresting sounds, good production.....but very few good songs.

the songs i prefer:
precious
the sinner in me
nothing's impossible

interesting :
macrovision

Can't wait to hear it myself. DP are among my favorite artists. Their songs often take a while to grow on me and there's always little subtle things in their production that peek out after a few listens. Lots of people hated their last album, but I thought it had some fantastic and moving songs on it. Hope this one does, too.

Like most,I too have to have more listens to really hear whats beneath the exterior...but I can say,after about 10 listens so far,i`m really liking the last two 3rds of it alot more.

I`ve already made the decision to actually buy the cd when I get the chance.I`ve passed that point.

DM are my fave band and have been for yrs...but as other know,like many albums that become classic,it takes some time for them to initially sink in.

For those who don`t have subsciptions to "keyboard"magazine the november issue features them.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Downloaded it last week, havent had a chance to listen yet, but i like the single, Precious.

now for my own opinion after a bunch of listening sessions...

some songs are pretty tough to listen to. in some cases, the really interesting elements are hidden pretty well.

dave surprises, turning out to be a decent (at least!) song writer.

i read about the analogue touch before, but particularly this disappoints me big time. quite some sounds are, i hate to say that, profane.

i miss those special sounds which catch me immediately. i'm still searching for these on the current album.

what i find a *lot*, but dislike, is the vast arsenal of bit-crushing and chopping stuff. this is not a special thing about DM - i don't like this kind of effect in general.

On the other hand, i miss industrial or sample influence.

now for the good news...it always takes long for me to appreciate new albums, so all this doesn't count in the end (i hope). i begin to like it, after the initial shock :)

more to follow after a few more sessions.

I'm buying it tomorrow, so i'll leave my comments until then. Been looking forward to this for a while now:)

Didn't like the single, and given the many degenerate albums released recently by bands I like, I won't buy the album before a)I have money and b)I've heard it a few times.

for avid fans i think it will be a must have,but a little dissapointing at first.
doest seem to be any memorable classics that stand out yet as with there old catalogue or is that just nostalgia speakin,thats my problem here,am i judging against songs that hold more in the memory than actual musical value?
only time will tell but at the moment i find my self having to at least listen to a few of the classics after listening through the new one :shrug:

quick update. now i checked the bunch of songs via the car stereo. at higher volumes, some aspects i first would have rated "mixing flaws" actually turned out to "make sense" (if one is allowed to say so at all, in a musical context).

so far, i don't like martin gore's rather balladesque tunes "macrovision" and "damaged people". but then again, my general taste might have changed over the years. wouldn't want to listen to "somebody" these days, as opposed to back then...

I 'acquired' the album a few weeks ago and have been listening to it quite a lot in the car. I was disappointed at first but have grown to like every track. It isn't as immediate as something like Violator but I think it is their best sings Songs of Faith and Devotion. I'm hoping to pick up the Limited Edition today...

this is an electronic masterpiece
also it sounds very dirty analog/mod system
And I agree it is the best since FAD

'nothing's impossible' is my favourite.
Induljon a banzáj!

ok, 1st listen.... mmmm, not sure about this.... :?

2nd listen...... I never noticed that the fist time I heard it..... :ud:

3rd listen..... WoW I'm really getting into this now :love: :band:

Tip:- make your third listen using headphones! (it might please your neighbours) :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”