Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kontakt is still very much there :).

My guess it is always revenue driven...if it is not making enough money it gets dumped.
rsp
sound sculptist

Super 8 was a cool synth, unfixed bugs aside. I feel like it was a victim of a failure of marketing by NI.

Yeah throw everything at the wall, see what sticks. Great for them, not so great for us.

zvenx wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:24 pm Kontakt is still very much there :).

My guess it is always revenue driven...if it is not making enough money it gets dumped.
rsp
Still, a sh*tty way to treat their customers.

zvenx wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:24 pm Kontakt is still very much there :).

rsp
But is it the case that “Kontakt is still very much here” (i.e., relevant)? It seems like NI is doing the absolute minimum to support Kontakt while continuing to rake in money on what are essentially glorified sample libraries (which NI disingenuously refers to as “instruments”). I’m specifically referring to the fact that NI seems incapable of creating a fully re-scalable UI. Only the browser in Kontakt 7 can be rescaled. Come on, the company has literally had years to get with the program. The excuses are starting to wear more than a little thin at this point. At the risk of sounding alarmist, the situation doesn’t bode well for the future of the company, IMO.

I, like a few others here, beta test several products for NI.
There is a reason why I specifically mentioned Kontakt.
Are they doing the stuff that I want them to concentrate on? no.
Do they now seem to be way more interested in Content rather than features.. I think so too.

But yeah without breaking any NDA I can honestly say Kontakt's development has not been abandoned at all.
rsp
sound sculptist

VitaminD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:10 pm Native Instruments have become the Google of the music software world. They create tools, once they become adopted, they discontinue them. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Super 8 isn't discontinued. The VST3 version is discontinued, the Reaktor version isn't.

I'd love to know if Massive X's development hasn't been abandoned

zvenx wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:06 pm I, like a few others here, beta test several products for NI.
There is a reason why I specifically mentioned Kontakt.
Are they doing the stuff that I want them to concentrate on? no.
Do they now seem to be way more interested in Content rather than features.. I think so too.

But yeah without breaking any NDA I can honestly say Kontakt's development has not been abandoned at all.
rsp
To be clear I am not suggesting other products are dead and just haven't been announced as dead, I was just saying that for all the stuff I know about, Kontakt has the most consistent sign of life.

rsp
sound sculptist

VitaminD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:10 pm Native Instruments have become the Google of the music software world. They create tools, once they become adopted, they discontinue them. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Just guessing, but they likely pay for development on a per project basis. So hiring a new team to rewrite things wouldn’t make sense where profits are concerned (especially considering who own NI now).

Does make you worry about NI software not named Kontakt… and pretty much all things NI if I’m being honest.

elxsound wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:11 pm Does make you worry
Isn't that a permanent state of mind for many these days?

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:18 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:11 pm Does make you worry
Isn't that a permanent state of mind for many these days?
Depends on what drugs are involved.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 pm
Super 8 isn't discontinued. The VST3 version is discontinued, the Reaktor version isn't.
That doesn't help anyone who appreciated the VST3 version. That's my point. They build up these new tools, release them to the public, then sometime after suddenly discontinue.

The only things that are really valued at NI are the staples of Kontakt and Reaktor. Everything else could be blown away at any point in the future. I don't like that method of operating.

VitaminD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 pm
That doesn't help anyone who appreciated the VST3 version. That's my point. They build up these new tools, release them to the public, then sometime after suddenly discontinue.
What would you guess is the reason for that? They sell like hotcakes, everyone uses them, and then they just discontinue it, all of a sudden, by a quirk of fate? Or is it possible that the VST3 version simply didn't sell, and that it was a failed development for NI, maybe just a hotbed to try something out, and it just didn't work, and they chose to end it?

I frankly don't believe in quirks of fate.

Same with Massive X. As sad as it is, but, it seems like it simply wasn't a successful plugin for NI. You know what happens when you pull through all the unsuccessful stuff? You go bankrupt. Bummer.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 pm
VitaminD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 pm
What would you guess is the reason for that? They sell like hotcakes, everyone uses them, and then they just discontinue it, all of a sudden, by a quirk of fate? Or is it possible that the VST3 version simply didn't sell, and that it was a failed development for NI, maybe just a hotbed to try something out, and it just didn't work, and they chose to end it?

I frankly don't believe in quirks of fate.

Same with Massive X. As sad as it is, but, it seems like it simply wasn't a successful plugin for NI. You know what happens when you pull through all the unsuccessful stuff? You go bankrupt. Bummer.
It tells me they don't have great visionaries there in leadership positions directing the product lineup. It tells me they likely have corporate suits or marketeers controlling these matters. And corporate suits don't know or care about the products, just that they sell. It also tells me they likely have very large overhead to fund...

A developer like Fabfilter or u-He stand by their products once they launch. No flash in the pan. Instead of throwing the pot of spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, they seem to more carefully plan and release products with longevity in mind.

Return to “Instruments”