Do You Recognise The Sound Of The DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 amNo such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.
And yet you find a way.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The DAW has certainly an impact on how you compose and produce. That is why one can distinguish the tools. Different tools lead to different workflows, which has a consequence…
I found music made with Live always liveless… Its too easy to stick to a grid, though you wouldn’t need to…

Nah... it sometimes takes me a while to find some certain song I wish to work on, because I just can't remember at all which DAW I produced it in...
if I would let the DAW dictate the outcome of my musical endeavours like that, I would feel my artistic integrity has been compromised; so I'll certainly do my damnedest to not let that happen.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

My early Reason work was certainly more simplistic than the complicated and vastness of sounds that I've used in Studio One. In the early works of Reason there was only just a simple rack mixer and then later the big SSL Mixer which opened the gates further to add a different colour to what I had produced before and with better CPU's over the years which I've had, it's allowed for a higher number of tracks in the song, but also in applying different mixing techniques along the way. The influence of different sounding effect units between DAWs, I think brings some identity in recognising what DAWs have been used when stock effect units are being used as well.

Four years ago I did a CPU comparison test with a VST instrument in both Reason and Studio One with no effects added. For me I can hear a difference between Studio One and Reason. Reason sounds warmer to my ears than Studio One in my opinion where as Studio One sounds colder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwho5W ... =skyhawk77
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Srae wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 am This is clearly fruityloops with that level of sonic superiority. :)
I never did compose anything with Fruityloops, even back in 2000/2001 other than a loop. Just didn't make any sense to me as a production tool so chose one that did. Reason came at the right time as I was nearing the end of an Open College year-long study course in music production back then where I was given a financial grant to put towards a piece of music software/hardware and the rest is as they say history. 8) This was about a year after doing some stuff for TV and performing (playing keyboard) on stage in a band for a few of the Royal family, our current King. A lot of my tracks with Reason were live performance pieces playing the piano through the 00's and were posted on reasonstation.net for user reviews and ratings :wink:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:12 am
VOODOO U wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:22 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:21 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:15 pm I just bought a new album cause the band used Reaper (I can tell).
Bias confirmation Im afraid. Its actually very well documented that you (dont hear) the Reaper. La, la, la, la, la.
Don't do that. I f**king hate that song.
Baby, take my hand...
Some of my school years revolved around that song.

What can I say?

:lol:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 amA lot of my tracks with Reason were live performance pieces playing the piano through the 00's and were posted on reasonstation.net for user reviews and ratings :wink:
ooooh, you posted some tracks somewhere on the internet? wow, that's amaaaaaaaazing. tell us more about yourself, you know you're dying to.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 am
Srae wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 am This is clearly fruityloops with that level of sonic superiority. :)
I never did compose anything with Fruityloops, even back in 2000/2001 other than a loop. Just didn't make any sense to me as a production tool so chose one that did. Reason came at the right time as I was nearing the end of an Open College year-long study course in music production back then where I was given a financial grant to put towards a piece of music software/hardware and the rest is as they say history. 8) This was about a year after doing some stuff for TV and performing (playing keyboard) on stage in a band for a few of the Royal family, our current King. A lot of my tracks with Reason were live performance pieces playing the piano through the 00's and were posted on reasonstation.net for user reviews and ratings :wink:
he's not my king.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:19 pm he's not my king.
hmmm, we may need to check the tag on his ear to identify the actual owner, then.

could take a while to find a tag on one of those ears :o

true, very true.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:12 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 amA lot of my tracks with Reason were live performance pieces playing the piano through the 00's and were posted on reasonstation.net for user reviews and ratings :wink:
ooooh, you posted some tracks somewhere on the internet? wow, that's amaaaaaaaazing. tell us more about yourself, you know you're dying to.
I wonder what would happen if you two got stuck in an elevator together for hours. Do you think you'd get into a fight? Or would you start arguing or engaging in philosophical discussions about DAWs and life? Or maybe even start singing?

enCiphered wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:55 pm I wonder what would happen if you two got stuck in an elevator together for hours. Do you think you'd get into a fight? Or would you start arguing or engaging in philosophical discussions about DAWs and life? Or maybe even start singing?
Let's hope there's no internet in there.

This thread was funnier without personal attack and just mocking the insanely fun but so wrong idea that modern DAW have a specific "sound".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”