IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

WOK wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 am I Wonder the scale function also works on MIDI notes from an external keyboard?
Can anyone answer that question for me? I would love for that to be a thing with the uno synth. the specs all sound pretty great, but that is one of the remaining questions I still have.

fabi wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:19 am
WOK wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 am I Wonder the scale function also works on MIDI notes from an external keyboard?
Can anyone answer that question for me? I would love for that to be a thing with the uno synth. the specs all sound pretty great, but that is one of the remaining questions I still have.
Sending MIDI notes to UNO Synth Pro are not translated differently (they sound as sent) but the MIDI sent out of UNO Synth Pro is altered based on the scale.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:28 pm
fabi wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:19 am
Sending MIDI notes to UNO Synth Pro are not translated differently (they sound as sent) but the MIDI sent out of UNO Synth Pro is altered based on the scale.
Would it be possible to implement that behavior for external midi keyboards as an option in the future? Just ordered the regular uno synth, not the pro. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, really looking forward to it. 8)

Maybe you need a MIDI controller that does different scales?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I recently picked one up. I love it. However, the humming background noise is annoying at times. I know this has been discussed in various forums and usually it's in regard to noise when powered by USB. However, my unit is completely silent when powered via USB, by either my PC or USB power bank. Powered by internal batteries is a different story, regardless of rechargeables or standard batteries. As noted in this thread https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... f44e4822d6 (https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17329&sid=e09556559365d2d6f4b37bf44e4822d6) All reporting the same issue.

It does seem related to the display as others have noted. For example if I change the display so there's a 1 at the end, the humming disappears. Turn up the volume with nothing playing also removes the hum. I think this is inherent to the UNO Synth. A poster in that thread tested 10+ units and they all had the problem. I guess many will not notice it as it's often used with USB power (though some report the same issue). Also it is much more noticeable with certain headphones.

I've ordered a ground loop isolator but I don't know if it will help in my situation as the hum isn't coming from USB power. I guess I will just run it from a power bank for silent operation.
UNO Synth, Novation Circuit, Behringer TD-3, Behringer RD-6.

Are you using balanced cables? It makes all the difference in the world here.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm a relative newcomer (at 48 :o ) to playing around with synths and hardware. At the moment I'm just using the UNO standalone with headphones connected to the audio output.
BONES wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am Are you using balanced cables? It makes all the difference in the world here.

You're just a baby. I was 48 the first time we toured Europe, in 2005. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

electrosoma wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:07 pm I'm a relative newcomer (at 48 :o ) to playing around with synths and hardware. At the moment I'm just using the UNO standalone with headphones connected to the audio output.
BONES wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am Are you using balanced cables? It makes all the difference in the world here.
48, so young :wink:

You need to use good quality studio headphones with decent impedance, if you use earbud type phones they just act as an antenna and pick up a lot of noise!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'm a bit of a headphone nut. The closest I have to monitor headphones are the budget Superlux HD668B. I know they're popular with music production on a budget but probably not ideal. I'll try those when I get some new pads. I have some very neutral headphones, including very good IEMs. I think the humming is a nature of the beast but I'm sure some decent monitoring headphones is the way to go. Something like the Sony MDR-7506/V6. Fortunately the UNO is completely quiet with USB power.

Downloaded the Blandy patches. Superb for an old 80s raver like myself!

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:04 am You're just a baby. I was 48 the first time we toured Europe, in 2005. Seems like a lifetime ago now.
I'll let you know when I announce my first tour :lol:

The new software editor looks great! Has anyone tried it yet? Thoughts?

Wrong Thread
Last edited by SLiC on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Squids did a quick overview of the UNO Synth Pro Editor from the IK US studio:

https://youtu.be/mJl0p_Au6Fg

It's out now but it's not at all obvious how to get hold of it. If you go to your account page at IK, then select your Uno Pro, it's the thing you get if you press the download button. The manual for it is with "Resources".

I'd love to get one of those carry bags for mine but postage is as much as the bag itself, so it's way more than I'm willing to pay.

BTW, why are these latest posts in the Uno thread, not the Uno Pro thread?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”