Do Over - the Essentials

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jeffb01 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:35 amWell, that's the thing. These people all picked a second instrument that was a straight reproduction. So they are paring down their synths to the bare essentials and they pick an synth with moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope and then pick another synth with a moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope, which seems redundant for a bare essential list - so I was curious to why.
Fair enough. I find it strange that anyone would choose an emulation at all. Straight off the bat they are limited by such a choice, when they could have something that is far more versatile.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:38 am
jeffb01 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:35 amWell, that's the thing. These people all picked a second instrument that was a straight reproduction. So they are paring down their synths to the bare essentials and they pick an synth with moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope and then pick another synth with a moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope, which seems redundant for a bare essential list - so I was curious to why.
Fair enough. I find it strange that anyone would choose an emulation at all. Straight off the bat they are limited by such a choice, when they could have something that is far more versatile.
I can probably answer this easily using my own experience.

I did a cover of Howard Jone's "New Song". First I tried using Zebra 2 to do the lead. I got it close but it just wasn't right. Then I went to the OP X II, which is an Oberheim emulation and even comes with the patch and it was dead on.

That's why people get dedicated emulations because more versatile synths can't always replicate the sounds they want when doing covers or going for a particular sound.

Id go straight to Cubase.

Omnisphere / Nexus / Komplete for Synths

Waves (Not sure what the max bundle is called)
Softube (Complete)
Sound Toys (Complete)
T-Racks (Full)

If I saved up all the money i'd spent on other things over the years id be able to afford these plugins outright.(Hopefully)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Soundtoys, really? I've got a few of their plugins and I think they are very so-so. I got 'em cheap, $!0 each, and I still feel like they were a waste of money.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:37 amI did a cover of Howard Jone's "New Song". First I tried using Zebra 2 to do the lead. I got it close but it just wasn't right.
That's not a cover, that's a copy. When we do covers, they sound like us, not like the original artist. It's kind of the point of covers, to reinterpret the original in your own style.
That's why people get dedicated emulations because more versatile synths can't always replicate the sounds they want when doing covers or going for a particular sound.
Honestly, that's pathetic. How sad would you have to be to think that the best you can do is an exact copy of someone else's work? Do you have nothing of your own to contribute? Are you so completely empty, hollow, that there is nothing in you that is worth putting into your music?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm Soundtoys, really? I've got a few of their plugins and I think they are very so-so. I got 'em cheap, $!0 each, and I still feel like they were a waste of money.
I agree. I tried them based on all the glowing reviews but found them no better than what I already had. Must be a cult following :P
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm Soundtoys, really? I've got a few of their plugins and I think they are very so-so. I got 'em cheap, $!0 each, and I still feel like they were a waste of money.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:37 amI did a cover of Howard Jone's "New Song". First I tried using Zebra 2 to do the lead. I got it close but it just wasn't right.
That's not a cover, that's a copy. When we do covers, they sound like us, not like the original artist. It's kind of the point of covers, to reinterpret the original in your own style.
Honestly, that's pathetic. How sad would you have to be to think that the best you can do is an exact copy of someone else's work? Do you have nothing of your own to contribute? Are you so completely empty, hollow, that there is nothing in you that is worth putting into your music?
Before I put you on ignore, because honestly, I'm tired of your insults (not just me, but everybody) i'll have you know that I've written more original music in my life than you will probably ever write in your lifetime. I rarely, if EVER do other people's songs. But one time I really wanted to see if I could do a "copy" of this song, because I really liked it THAT much, as close to the original as possible just to see if I could.

And to that end, with all the original music I've written in my life, you call me pathetic.

YOU are what my grandmother, God rest her soul, used to politely call an ass.

Don't bother responding because by the time you read this, I will no longer be able to read anything else that you post in this forum.

Maybe YOU'RE the pathetic one.

Starting today from what I know now, Id just have Komplete 12 Ultimate, Zebra, T-Racks 5 Max, Valhalla Vintage Verb, Reaper, Maschine & a Komplete Kontrol 88.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm Honestly, that's pathetic. How sad would you have to be to think that the best you can do is an exact copy of someone else's work? Do you have nothing of your own to contribute? Are you so completely empty, hollow, that there is nothing in you that is worth putting into your music?
WTF is this crap? Why post it? What is this forum for? People can do their own damn stuff, and calling them pathetic for it is, well, . . .
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Saukar30 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:45 pm Starting today from what I know now, Id just have Komplete 12 Ultimate, Zebra, T-Racks 5 Max, Valhalla Vintage Verb, Reaper, Maschine & a Komplete Kontrol 88.
That is a fine list--I'd go that route.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

That's at least twice as much as I have now.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pmBefore I put you on ignore, because honestly, I'm tired of your insults (not just me, but everybody) i'll have you know that I've written more original music in my life than you will probably ever write in your lifetime.
Well, since you bought it up you kinda leave me no choice but, whilst I agree in principle, the fact is that I could have written a lot more if my standards were as low as yours.
And to that end, with all the original music I've written in my life, you call me pathetic.
I didn't call you pathetic but, of course, you being the centre of the universe and all, you had to assume that every word written was about you, personally. The sentiment expressed in your comment was pathetic but unless that's the sum total of who you are, it's not even in the same ballpark as calling you pathetic. Plenty of smart people have pathetic ideas on a daily basis.
YOU are what my grandmother, God rest her soul, used to politely call an ass.
Why does it not surprise me that you believe in fairy tales?
Don't bother responding because by the time you read this, I will no longer be able to read anything else that you post in this forum.
That's a shame, I think there are a couple of real zingers in here. Still, we'll all be laughing at you and yo won't even realise it. Thanks for the heads up, though, I really enjoy making fun of people right in front of them without them realising. At least I wont have to put up with your lazy use of quotes any more.
Maybe YOU'RE the pathetic one.
You know, if we were both 8 years old I'd still think that was a pathetic comeback.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pmWTF is this crap?
It's called an opinion.
Why post it?
Because that's what you do on internet forums.
What is this forum for?
I just told you - for people to give their opinions.
People can do their own damn stuff
Of course they can. We're doing it now and just as you're judging me, I'm judging you and everyone else, based on the opinions we all express. It's kinda cool when you think about it. And again, it's what we do on internet forums.
and calling them pathetic for it is, well, . . .
I see, it's OK for you but not for anyone else. Got it. I'll try not to say anything you disagree with in the future. (No, I won't.)

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm Honestly, that's pathetic. How sad would you have to be to think that the best you can do is an exact copy of someone else's work? Do you have nothing of your own to contribute? Are you so completely empty, hollow, that there is nothing in you that is worth putting into your music?
WTF is this crap? Why post it? What is this forum for? People can do their own damn stuff, and calling them pathetic for it is, well, . . .
It's Bones being Bones. I now have him on ignore so I don't have to listen to this crap anymore.

Question: Is there a way to see who is on your Foe list? I can't seem to find anything in Control Panel.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:57 pm Question: Is there a way to see who is on your Foe list? I can't seem to find anything in Control Panel.
ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes

yellowmix wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:37 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:57 pm Question: Is there a way to see who is on your Foe list? I can't seem to find anything in Control Panel.
ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes
Okay, now I see what the problem was. You can either see User Groups OR Foes but not BOTH.

Wow, 15 people on my Foe's list? Sheesh, do I sell when I hit a hundred?

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm...When we do covers, they sound like us, not like the original artist. It's kind of the point of covers, to reinterpret the original in your own style.
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”