The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kidslow wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:06 pm On the filesystem right now mine are mostly organized in folders by the publisher (or site) I got them from, but that's only helpful on intake not to use them, as I've found out. When I need to find one, I have to hope the name gives it away and either go through folder by folder or do a filesystem search for a keyword in the name.
(…)
My current workflow is to audition them using Audio Assault aIR Impulse Rack, because it can run standalone or as a plugin and load four at a time. Any other ways to go about it?
I have them organized exactly in the same way. I have no time to do it differently.
My method is to keep a text file, listing various types of reverbs in various ways (studio, chamber, hall, room, outdoor; but also dense, granular, realistic, special effects, the good ones for positioning…) and listing under each one of these headers those I like most for that category, Impulse Responses AND software reverbs together (even the algorithmic ones), with some short remarks about the quality of each.
It's a sort of self-made manual which I update frequently.

To test the IRs quickly I use Melda MConvolutionEZ, but I could use any other very simple convolution reverb like Audio Assault Winchester, or Impulse Record Convology XT (maybe the complex ones like LiquidSonics Reverberate are not the best for testing IRs quickly). I have a Logic template with some standard test audio samples preloaded into it: I just start the template, open the IR in MConvolutionEZ and listen.

I like the idea of keeping a text file with notes on what's in a particular impulse pack. It's a start on making things faster.

Up until now, I've just tried to keep my favorites within a particular range, rather than keeping all of them. However, it hasn't been very flexible. I'd rather be able to keep the flexibility and quickly find what I need at the same time. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Just to be clear: I don't have a text for each impulse pack; I keep only one single general text file for everything, listing all my favourite reverbs and IRs (from all my packs) under various categories.
But I have dozens of IRs that I have not tested yet (no time to do it…), that's my problem: time. Now and then (usually when on vacation) I test some more ones and update the file.

kidslow wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:06 pmDo other people struggle with this?
Yes!
You inspired me to review my IRs, and I will organise them like other libraries:
1. Identify the 'types' of IRs that I like and discard the others (80%)
2. Use those types to organise IRs into folder trees
3. Audition to discard further, so there's only favourites in each folder
4. Rename if needed, to recognise them in different converbs
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

XComposer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:40 pm I have a Logic template with some standard test audio samples preloaded into it: I just start the template, open the IR in MConvolutionEZ and listen.
Not sure why I hadn't considered it, but of course. Thanks for mentioning it.

The cheatsheet text file also seems essential. I keep one for my kontakt kits that lives in the base directory where I store them all. Anytime I move a new kit into the tree I add a note. For me it functions mostly as a lookup table -- if I want this type of sound, which kits should I look at further, organized by the types of sounds I'm likely to be looking for, with names of kits and vendors.

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:03 pm
Yes!
You inspired me to review my IRs, and I will organise them like other libraries:
This looks like a pretty solid plan to me. :) I'll probably do some combination of the same. I like the idea of keeping a readme text file with notes on what is what in the collection too, so I'll probably do that as well. I think the key is getting rid of the 80% we'll never use. :lol:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

A challenge for me is naming what I most like about an IR.
This is a start:

Type and size
Pre-delay
Attack
Early/late reflection time
Early/late reflection level/diffusion
Density
Decay high/low frequencies
Decay time/diffusion
Mono/Stereo/Width
Pitch
Modulation depth/rate/rhythm
Effects

(I only use Spaces)
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Hello once again! Does anyone have an IR or know an IR (a free one preferably) of the famous Yamaha NS-10's? thanks

https://pasttofuturereverbs.gumroad.com ... ut=profile

NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S! = $10
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:24 pm
Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:03 pm
Yes!
This looks like a pretty solid plan to me. :) I'll probably do some combination of the same. I like the idea of keeping a readme text file with notes on what is what in the collection too, so I'll probably do that as well. I think the key is getting rid of the 80% we'll never use. :lol:
Good presets that you can remember after some time are a good starting point in my opininion. When it´s about IR´s I use MConvolution, also because you can really generate presets with user interfaces, store the IRs in banks and select them comfortably with a knob in the end - just like you´d do with a hardware reverb. So you can just make a pre like "huge echoes" or "ambience" and put up to 64 IRs into each bank that you use. And the more creative you want to be the more options you integrate in the UI.

Does anyone have any links to quality school hall type IRs? I'm working on the music and sound design for a horror game set in a Japanese School and it'd be great to have some suitable IRs for the diegetic stuff.

DeadDreamsWhispering wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:50 am Does anyone have any links to quality school hall type IRs? I'm working on the music and sound design for a horror game set in a Japanese School and it'd be great to have some suitable IRs for the diegetic stuff.
I think this very question has probably been answered a few messages ago. Please see the answer by "kidslow" on Nov. 8th.

Hello once again, does anyone have an (free IR if possible) speaker IR of a Gameboy or a Nintendo DS (or even a Sony PSP or alike) I did found an IR in this link https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-ds ... es.504002/ but unfortunately the link is down, it would be glad if anyone had a copy of the IR in the link that I've found or if anyone had made or found one, thanks in advance.

4kHz026 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 am Gameboy or a Nintendo DS (or even a Sony PSP or alike)
Plogue Chipcrusher has "cabinets" of 4 different gameboy’s (DMG-1, CGB, GBA and GBA clam shell). A Dirac pulse gives you the key to unlock them. The demo is time limited, but long enough.

You can also try to retrieve your link at https://web.archive.org/
It seems that it works.

Return to “Effects”