I want to use only one synth

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:02 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:14 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:56 am ...... I'm planning to use it a lot with Reaper (my latest move :D )
Damn!
You were serious!

Why not trying Bitwig? Cost?

By the way, Bitwig sampler is the funniest of my toys.
Try? :hihi: I've used BWS from v3.x

I used Reaper here and there since v3.x ( 3 again :o ) and recently I got v7 and I just went with it for a couple of weeks... Extraordinary experience this time :D
I even stop using Ableton!

I discovered some amazing additional tools (Free) that are really good but I was not aware of.
From Sample/Slicer on steroids to Drum-Racks and MIDI Generator to the Paranormal FX Router > (Ableton and BWS should make one) etc.

Super stable and the CPU usage is like "Occult" stuff :hihi:

Yes. Very serious (like Venus Theory I guess :wink: )
Interesting.... I'll follow your journey even if changing for me is out of question.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:32 am is out of question.
No questions asked. :D

But I'll keep updating on a Reaper thread somewhere... :phones:
MuLab of course :D

ahuman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:05 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm More and more, as I write and learn the software synths I use (I will never own the hardware so who cares anyway), I find that i just want to work with as few synths as possible. Maybe even just one, percussion sounds aside.
You could also use no synths at all, just samplers.
You could. I have the excellent TAL Sampler which I think exceeds the arturia Emulator. But I'm still counting that as a synth in this discussion. But I don't think I'd want to limit myself just to samples. YMMV

i was saving up for the roland integra-7
it's a general midi synth
or maybe sound module is the better words
i was gonna buy that as soon as i deem my songwriting sucks no more
in other words, not for a long while yet

but i had an appointment near the city center
and afterwards i went to the store to hear how it sounds
guy says "we dont sell that anymore, its discontinued"

well, back to using soudfonts i guess
90 percent of soundfonts are general midi
but the sound quality mostly sucks
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:56 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:32 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:36 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:07 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:51 am ^^^TAL-Sampler
I’ve got it! 🙂 The problem with TAL-Sampler is that its aim is for recreating old samplers. I like that, but I also want a high quality mode with an ultra-high quality pitch transposition interpolation. That is my biggest wish for it.
Linear mode?
No. Linear mode is the lowest interpolation quality of all available modes in Tal-Sampler. The highest quality interpolation mode is S1000, which only uses 8-bit sinc interpolation. I’d like to see an ultra high quality mode, for example 128 bit sinc interpolation and auto formant management. That rate used to be reserved for off line conversions, but computers these days should be able to handle this high of quality without too much effort. Imagine loading a single sample on c3 and being able to play it for three or more octaves without it sounding like garbage or with chipmunkization. If that doesn’t bring the fun and immediacy back into sampling, I don’t know what would. 🙂
Got it! I thought Linear didn't use any filtering and it was going to be the less intrusive but I'm reading the manual on the "Variable" modes.
Is the S1000 better than the Clean?
I just bought the Sampler and I'm planning to use it a lot with Reaper (my latest move :D )
Yes. As I understand it, S1000 is the highest quality available. I don’t know why it was named, “Clean”. It’s just a subset of the variable mode.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:21 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:56 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:32 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:36 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:07 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:51 am ^^^TAL-Sampler
I’ve got it! 🙂 The problem with TAL-Sampler is that its aim is for recreating old samplers. I like that, but I also want a high quality mode with an ultra-high quality pitch transposition interpolation. That is my biggest wish for it.
Linear mode?
No. Linear mode is the lowest interpolation quality of all available modes in Tal-Sampler. The highest quality interpolation mode is S1000, which only uses 8-bit sinc interpolation. I’d like to see an ultra high quality mode, for example 128 bit sinc interpolation and auto formant management. That rate used to be reserved for off line conversions, but computers these days should be able to handle this high of quality without too much effort. Imagine loading a single sample on c3 and being able to play it for three or more octaves without it sounding like garbage or with chipmunkization. If that doesn’t bring the fun and immediacy back into sampling, I don’t know what would. 🙂
Got it! I thought Linear didn't use any filtering and it was going to be the less intrusive but I'm reading the manual on the "Variable" modes.
Is the S1000 better than the Clean?
I just bought the Sampler and I'm planning to use it a lot with Reaper (my latest move :D )
Yes. As I understand it, S1000 is the highest quality available. I don’t know why it was named, “Clean”. It’s just a subset of the variable mode.
Thank you :tu:

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:31 pm
ahuman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:05 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm More and more, as I write and learn the software synths I use (I will never own the hardware so who cares anyway), I find that i just want to work with as few synths as possible. Maybe even just one, percussion sounds aside.
You could also use no synths at all, just samplers.
You could. I have the excellent TAL Sampler which I think exceeds the arturia Emulator. But I'm still counting that as a synth in this discussion. But I don't think I'd want to limit myself just to samples. YMMV
The beauty of it is that with TAL-Sampler, you aren’t limiting yourself to just samples. TAL-Sampler is also a powerful full-blown synthesizer with a full blown sampler for each of its four layers, granular capabilities.

Read my extensive review here:

viewtopic.php?p=8655524#p8655524
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

One way to do it is to follow a sampler with Pitchmap and use Pitchmap to do the pitch shifting. But that takes some effort and also doesn’t work with multi-samples (sampler needs to be at a static pitch).

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:33 amRead my extensive review here:

Reading your interesting review and the following video I ended up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iy_0OSV7GM&t=0s

Now I need to immerse myself into the Tal-Sampler :o

Omnisphere, Falcon or HALion take your pick...

liquidsound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:33 am

TAL-Sampler was loosely inspired by the EPS 16+ 🙂

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:28 am
liquidsound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:33 am

Well, I'm glad I run into your post :)

In the sense that it was also equally inspried by the S900 and S950 and S1000 and the Mirage and the Emulator II and EIII and the various E4 sampers...and so on. It's "loosely inspired by" all the classic samplers.

Which is to say, there's nothing _specifically_ EPS 16+ about it, that I'm aware of. It's just as much like any of those others as its like an EPS 16+.

If that's wrong, I'd love to be corrected and learn more about it, but I don't think that's wrong. If Patrick decided to figure out (unlikely) and add the much-discussed-years-ago "weird looping behavior" of the EPS when you set the loop points to the same value (or maybe it's when you set the end before the start? not sure tbh) which results in some sort of "desirable glitching" ... well then, that would be a different story. But I'm not sure it's even possible to emulate that, likely not...

mholloway wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:41 am
In the sense that it was also equally inspried by the S900 and S950 and S1000 and the Mirage and the Emulator II and EIII and the various E4 sampers...and so on. It's "loosely inspired by" all the classic samplers.

Which is to say, there's nothing _specifically_ EPS 16+ about it, that I'm aware of. It's just as much like any of those others as its like an EPS 16+.

If that's wrong, I'd love to be corrected and learn more about it, but I don't think that's wrong. If Patrick decided to figure out (unlikely) and add the much-discussed-years-ago "weird looping behavior" of the EPS when you set the loop points to the same value (or maybe it's when you set the end before the start? not sure tbh) which results in some sort of "desirable glitching" ... well then, that would be a different story. But I'm not sure it's even possible to emulate that, likely not...
It is indeed a different story, and what you describe in your third paragraph is exactly the inspired part of the Ensoniq EPS 16+ that TAL-Sampler has. Furthermore, TAL-Sampler does granular synthesis as well. Go read my review. 🙂

mholloway wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:41 am If that's wrong, I'd love to be corrected and learn more about it, but I don't think that's wrong. If Patrick decided to figure out (unlikely) and add the much-discussed-years-ago "weird looping behavior" of the EPS when you set the loop points to the same value (or maybe it's when you set the end before the start? not sure tbh) which results in some sort of "desirable glitching" ... well then, that would be a different story. But I'm not sure it's even possible to emulate that, likely not...
The weird EPS looping I remember is you set loop points and then can modulate where those loop points occur, mainly for looping single cycle waveforms. Or maybe that was the Autechre mod.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”