New Cakewalk Next and Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jinotsuh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:49 pm careful, I mentioned they were discussing this very thing over at the Cakewalk Forums and was set upon. :box: :D
Yeah it's not too hard to trigger a sh*tstorm over there.... :hihi:
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pm It will happen. They didn't state a time frame, but, at some point, you won't be able to authorize CbB anymore.
That's a shame. I suppose removing all copy protection would not be in the company's best interests so I don't expect that to ever happen.
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pmWhile I understand that, it would be a bit unsafe for me to start using CbB now, if the authorization won't be possible one day.
Yes that's sort of my whole point. It doesn't make sense to spend one bit of time creating new projects with CWbBL now if its eventual death is certain. I think I bought in at about Sonar 4 or 5 something like that all the way up to X3. I did use it for a time for my guitar based stuff before I had to stop playing so I suppose I'll eventually lose those tracks. Guess I'd better start rendering out anything that is of any value. Hopefully we'll get some time frame and not just wake up one day with a DAW that won't load.
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pmI would be surprised if the majority which uses CbB now wouldn't go for a Sonar license, once it's released.
Of course that depends on price, features, ability to load older projects, etc. Is it going to be a whole new workflow and environment? Will long time users find it an easy transition or will they struggle to adapt? Only time will tell and we won't know for sure until something reaches final release stage.

Would I buy the new Sonar just to have access to my old tracks (assuming it will load them)? Probably not but again that depends a great deal on price. Something in the sub $100 range? Perhaps. Anywhere near $200? Probably not, in large part because I have so many other DAWs to choose from now and since I can't play guitar at anywhere near the level I used to I can't really add to or improve those old tracks now. I'm 100% synth based stuff now and my other DAWs are far more suited to me for that task. I'll be sad to see Cakewalk die but it won't have an affect on the music I'm making now. Life will go on..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pm It will happen. They didn't state a time frame, but, at some point, you won't be able to authorize CbB anymore.
When posting something that is entirely the product of your own imagination, it would make sense to state this - otherwise people think you know something they don't. (Which absolutely isn't the case here, right?)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 pm
When posting something that is entirely the product of your own imagination, it would make sense to state this - otherwise people think you know something they don't. (Which absolutely isn't the case here, right?)
I wouldn't have posted it, if it wasn't based on what officials said about phasing out CbB at some point, like here: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ent-470641

There was another statement which said that the ability to authorize CbB wouldn't go on forever, but, I can't find it now.

It doesn't make sense to keep the latest version of CbB forever anyway. There won't be support for the latest Windows versions, as it isn't tested anymore, and, it won't showcase the state of the software anymore at some point, so, it's highly unlikely that they will keep it working forever.

Yeah, okay - you mean in the long run... but then again in the long run we're all dead anyway. So, yes, you're obviously right.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:32 pm
jinotsuh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:49 pm careful, I mentioned they were discussing this very thing over at the Cakewalk Forums and was set upon. :box: :D
Yeah it's not too hard to trigger a sh*tstorm over there.... :hihi:
No, I was meaning that I posted here about them over there discussing it and being a little set upon here, anyway, it's all good., and you are certainly right about the ease of triggering them off over there.
Say NO to CLAP!

IDK, but I have a feeling the 'long run' wont be so long, more like the 'Life Time Update' type of long. Just from reading what they have said and a little between the lines.
Say NO to CLAP!

Check it out :D

https://discord.com/invite/VvsjdzD9xT

No really, check it out, when you click on the link to take you to get the 'Next' Beta

You can also get there from the 'Next' page from the Cakewalk site in case anyone is a little worried about clicking on that link.

https://www.cakewalk.com/
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:19 pm Check it out :D
https://discord.com/invite/VvsjdzD9xT
No really, check it out, when you click on the link to take you to get the 'Next' Beta
You can also get there from the 'Next' page from the Cakewalk site in case anyone is a little worried about clicking on that link.
https://www.cakewalk.com/
It would be nice to be able to only read without signing up for it.
I'll never use it for anything else than reading about this topic.
Does Discord have any guest accounts where you can read only the topic you've been invited to?
They should have. 8)

I also had objections about Discord before I joined it for the DSP536 project, but, actually I quite enjoy it. It's a nice platform.

Have you seen the page background? It's like a kindergarten, it gives the feeling it's for pre-school kids or something, it's quite off putting, but if it's different on the other side I'll go back for a look and actually click the button.
Say NO to CLAP!

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:00 pm I don't mind the need to authorize it once in awhile but then that doesn't bode well for it working "forever". At some point they can stop the ability to authorize just as they stopped development on CWbBL.

It will happen. They didn't state a time frame, but, at some point, you won't be able to authorize CbB anymore.

While I understand that, it would be a bit unsafe for me to start using CbB now, if the authorization won't be possible one day.

I would be surprised if the majority which uses CbB now wouldn't go for a Sonar license, once it's released.
From what has been stated by the devs I understand that the last version will not need to be re authorized periodically. That would be the reason why it has been clearly said that earlier versions MUST be updated to the last one because they will not be authorized in the future.

Well, that's not what I and many others have understood, I will see if I can find more quotes from the staff which have been taken by many to say the opposite.

But whatever, I don't think a lot of people would feel safe using CbB with the real possibility of being cut off lingering over their head, I guess only the future will tell, also the future for Cakewalk will be Cakewalk Sonar, and Next, which I have read a few good words about from folk who have taken the Public Beta, but more likely Sonar, again time will tell.
Say NO to CLAP!

JoseC. wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:58 am
From what has been stated by the devs I understand that the last version will not need to be re authorized periodically. That would be the reason why it has been clearly said that earlier versions MUST be updated to the last one because they will not be authorized in the future.
From what I read authorization is moved from old servers to new ones, so the update was necessary from that point of view. Old servers taken down and code changes to authorize on new server is needed.

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:52 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:00 pm I don't mind the need to authorize it once in awhile but then that doesn't bode well for it working "forever". At some point they can stop the ability to authorize just as they stopped development on CWbBL.
It will happen. They didn't state a time frame, but, at some point, you won't be able to authorize CbB anymore.

While I understand that, it would be a bit unsafe for me to start using CbB now, if the authorization won't be possible one day.

I would be surprised if the majority which uses CbB now wouldn't go for a Sonar license, once it's released.
That obviously depends on how soon it expires and what they offer. Most of what they have done over the last few years has been bug fixes, and many of these have been in things that don't affect me. I'm not paying for more of the same.

On the other hand, if they add some features which could make me more productive then I might open my wallet.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Audio Tech TV has a video on "Next". Bandlab you can not possibly be serious? :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppA8gX6LBM

To be fair Shane didn't do a good job of showcasing Next. I've been watching his Tracktion Waveform videos and he does a really good job with those. Definitely worth watching if you're looking for a well featured DAW that is free and has a Pro version as well. Next is an absolute toy compared to Waveform Free.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”