Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's reassuring that I'm not prematurely losing my sight!

Thanks Alexis! Let's test!

FAQ updated:

* Added instructions for installing Tracktion on distros that don't use Debian packages and aren't supported by alien eg Arch, gentoo etc.

* Added note about enabling additional channels to post-install suggestions

* Removed promise of Elastique integration as a difference between Win/OSX and Linux builds as that has arrived with the release of T6

danboid wrote:* Added instructions for installing Tracktion on distros that don't use Debian packages and aren't supported by alien eg Arch, gentoo etc.
On Arch Linux based distros you can use the tracktion-6 AUR package:

Download the source tarball, unpack it, change into the tracktion-6 directory and run makepkg:

Code: Select all

wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tr/tracktion-6/tracktion-6.tar.gz
tar xzf tracktion-6.tar.gz
cd tracktion-6
makepkg -ci
Tracktion can then be started from the main menu under the name "Tracktion6".

Thanks Strogon14!

I should've guessed T6 would already be up on AUR. I've added link to the T6 AUR page to the FAQ.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great news F!

Thanks for the update!

Awesome, finally got this running and registered. Looking forward to messing with it. I didn't see any info on how and where to submit bug reports for the BETA. I'd love to help out some. This looks like some promising software!

Tracktion plug-ins for Linux coming soon!

That's what it says on Facebook.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

What kinda Tracktion plugins ?????

That was about all it said. There was an image that included Master Mix. Looks like the ones in the shop that were already available to Mac/Win users.

Don't know if this link will be visible to those not on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/tracktionsoftw ... 95/?type=1
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Good news - we are in the process of adding a Linux developer to the team - he has already taken the Tracktion plugs (MM/Synths) and ported for Linux - will be making those available ASAP - plus he will be in charge of whipping Tracktion into shape for the Linux community. Please feel free to use the 'donate' button - the upfront spending is straight out of cashflow.

Not sure whether to start charging for the Linux version or not - what are your thoughts on this?
Tracktion Software Corporation

I don´t think that the linux users will donate if they later have to pay. So my thought is: let us be equal and sell us a license.

Yes but if you have T6 Linux license already you will get the improvements for free - hence the donate :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

Great news about the Linux developer TSC!

I love the fact that Tracktion for Linux is currently free ('as in beer'). I'd say this has been one of the best reasons to try Linux as an audio production platform since T5 got its main Linux probs fixed. For some time I've been able to tout Tracktion Linux as 'the best free audio production platform bar none'. If it becomes non-free we can no longer claim that and Linux audio loses a major advocacy / plus point.

However, TSC is a business and promoting Linux for audio production is unlikely to be a major concern or interest. Seeing as you now employ someone to work full-time on the Linux port then that money has to come from somewhere.

A third option would be to employ the REAPER nagware model for the Linux version where people can use it unrestricted for free but have to endure a 10 second delay or whatever every time its started unless they pay.

If it comes down to having to charge for Linux Tracktion or the port disappearing then I'd go for the former every time but if its feasible I'd love to see the Linux port remain free / donationware.

Donation sent, thanks for all the awesome work. The biggest challenge facing the Linux platform is the lack of paid applications, apps this good are worth paying for. Awesome news on the Linux hire.

Return to “Tracktion”