How do you structure a song??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's an obscure futuristic RPG game for the Playstation called SaGa Frontier. You can choose between 7 characters, and one of the characters recruits a "Mystic" by the name of Ildon. I love the character so much I decided to adopt his name.

Mizutaphile.

Aaaaah... the sacred secret has been revealed :hihi:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote: Have you ever heard Tools version of No Quarter by led zep? You really should, its amazing!

I will have to look for it... :D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I get that all the time, hehe. Wait until you actually see SaGa Frontier. Then you'll REALLY be confused. :hihi:
Mizutaphile.

Ildon wrote:I get that all the time, hehe. Wait until you actually see SaGa Frontier. Then you'll REALLY be confused. :hihi:
Not really related, but I went through a phase of always calling my computer game characters Domingo - I dunno... just sounds like a really strange name. :shrug:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

:hihi:

Ildon never even got a theme song in the game. I should write him one. Anyway! Sorry for derailing the thread. :P

I'm gonna go shower and study Kenji Ito's music some more and try to capture the feel of Facinaturu in a song about Ildon. :O
Mizutaphile.

:lol:

Threads that get derailed eventually come back to their original purpose... at least that's what God tells me.

(oh no, now he's done it, derailment complete!)

First, the story behind the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asellus_(S ... character)

:o

Now I flee!

*flee*

Edit: Copy and paste the whole thing into your browser. Dumb KVR.
Mizutaphile.

I spend a lot of time experimenting and tweaking with synths; when I find something interesting I save it, and it's the starting point of a new track; that saved part can belong later to the middle of the track or become a repetitive element, but never the intro. From that point on anything can hapen; I add lots of stuff (usually I start with drums, even if later I remove them completely), make a real busy track, and from a certain point on I start to strip it from the extra shit.
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

Ja.x wrote:I spend a lot of time experimenting and tweaking with synths; when I find something interesting I save it, and it's the starting point of a new track; that saved part can belong later to the middle of the track or become a repetitive element, but never the intro. From that point on anything can hapen; I add lots of stuff (usually I start with drums, even if later I remove them completely), make a real busy track, and from a certain point on I start to strip it from the extra shit.
Y'know we did that with one of the Psychetronica tracks. We had an organ part and a vocal part (come and have a go on my magic tombola, its a lot of fun I really want to show ya!) but it never seemed to fit...

...until one day ;)

Amberience wrote:
Ja.x wrote:I spend a lot of time experimenting and tweaking with synths; when I find something interesting I save it, and it's the starting point of a new track; that saved part can belong later to the middle of the track or become a repetitive element, but never the intro. From that point on anything can hapen; I add lots of stuff (usually I start with drums, even if later I remove them completely), make a real busy track, and from a certain point on I start to strip it from the extra shit.
Y'know we did that with one of the Psychetronica tracks. We had an organ part and a vocal part (come and have a go on my magic tombola, its a lot of fun I really want to show ya!) but it never seemed to fit...

...until one day ;)
:dog: Just remembered I downloadad them but had no time to listen to yet. Sorry :oops: ...
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

Ja.x wrote:
Amberience wrote:

...until one day ;)
:dog: Just remembered I downloadad them but had no time to listen to yet. Sorry :oops: ...
:lol:

Enjoy 'em ;)

eh i just write what i feel, get sounds out of my head and heart.

RonC

A lot of my songs are only four chords, or two chords, or no chords at all! :lol: Not to say they're all that impressive... the last song I posted on here was heavily criticized for being too boring. :( At any rate, don't worry so much about it, and just enjoy doing what you do.

I had ten years of piano lessons as a kid, plus four years of clarinet and about 8 months of guitar lessons. I've gradually come to terms with the fact that I have abnormally slow reflexes, and find it very difficult to play with decent timing, regardless of how much I practice. After 30 years of playing keyboards, I'm still at the point where, if I quantize a live performance, half the notes get quantized in the wrong direction because I'm so far off with my timing. Rather than get depressed about how much my playing sucks, I'm just grateful to live in an age where technology can compensate for my physical shortcomings. By all means, continue to practice and develop your craft, but don't poor playing stop you from creating music.

I can relate to the feeling of being "locked in the loop" which endlessly repeats, not knowing how to break out into a new chord progression. So here is a very simple solution- when you find yourself with a couple of chords repeating over and over for a few mesaures, SWITCH TO A NEW CHORD. It's really that simple. Sure, having a vast understanding of music theory is a useful tool, but it isn't essential. Just pick a new chord. Any chord will do. Then go back to the first or second chord again. Or, if you're feeling particularly reckless, choose two new chords and alternate between them for a while. Guess what? You just came up with a second part for your song!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Music Theory”