Tone2 I2 vs Trueno Analog

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Trueno

1 of you is correct!

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:07 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm Trueno and a cock are two things. So, let’s compare. Make a screenshot and we’ll actually married.
As you wish..

https://soundcloud.com/distortedhorizon/truenoreaktor

and here's the pic :tu:

TruenoReaktor.png

Time to guess which is which :D
LOL! Good Job! You've managed to make both sound like "nothing special." Hint, if you think that you're hearing high frequency loss owing to band-limiting then try running Reaktor at a higher sampling rate. The difference should be obvious to your analyzer even if it isn't to your ears.
Special wasn't asked, just sounds to be compared. Might be hard to make subtractive synth special 8)

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I guess it’s just impossible to have a conversation without negativity and personal attacks.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

well of course it's subjective, but imo there's one way W7 is "superior": it's doneskies. fully completed, finito, the end. it's not ever gonna move, and in 10 years I will find it like it is now. that's my idea of stability. of course at that point it will be slow, as this current hardware is as good as it's gonna get, but for now, UserBenchmarks tells me I have "a UFO".
the mac dweebs who insist on keeping an OS9 machine around probably have a similar reasoning (without the high-speed part).
it makes me see W7 as a perfectly suited os for creative purposes.

W10? there is a smidge of uncertainty. Kore works well now, but the probability that they will find a way to break it is above 0% so I'd have to worry about that.
they fixed it afterwards but one of the major updates had caused crashes on some of the Deep Series presets, and those are the best patches ever.
it still feels a bit too mobile for me.

I looked up the third-party thingamajig that Trueno uses for usb comms, it's fully W7 compatible (as it would be, being from '14), there's no reason it wouldn't work, the developer is just being fussy about it.

These are the good demos on the website I was talking about earlier :
http://truenosynth.com/demos/

But believe me when I say that is just the tip of the iceberg. The filter overdrive and audio rate modulation are really good on this synth.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:07 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm Trueno and a cock are two things. So, let’s compare. Make a screenshot and we’ll actually married.
As you wish..

https://soundcloud.com/distortedhorizon/truenoreaktor

and here's the pic :tu:

TruenoReaktor.png

Time to guess which is which :D
Honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference, but I bet if you got the filter resonance up to right where it starts to scream a bit, a difference might me more evident. This kind of proves my point. Also, you’ll get a better result with Reaktor if you run it at double your project’s sample rate.

Anyway, I’ll take a guess. First one Trueno, second one Reaktor.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 pm I'd personally use both of them. Both sound very good (stupid soundcloud cut some top life) but very different. IMO Trueno sounds more lively but damn that Reaktor sounds good too.
SoundCloud is notorious for taking the life out of simple sounds.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Can this replace my Polivox?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

AnX wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm its just an inconvenient gimmick
sounds bland, is very limited and its on a stick (soon to be lost or broken)
Maybe you don't take very good care of your things but I can assure you my Trueno will never be lost or damaged, even if I keep it for 20 years. It's much bigger than my garage key, probably more robust, too, and I've never lost or broken that.
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 pm Frankly, I don’t quite see the point of this instrument, but if it’s for you, it’s for you. To me, a Microfreak is a much more interesting way of adding a bit of analog/digital hybrid fun, and there’s plenty of cheap stuff like Uno to try. Or a used MoPho.
Sound-wise, Trueno is much bigger and nastier than Uno. It also has about 20 times more features.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it sounds interesting. I just think that you’ll do better with Reaktor 6 and not have to worry about USB audio.
Reaktor is really expensive, I've been able to justify the cost, both in terms of purchase and the time it would take to get it working for me. Trueno is much more immediate - spend 10 minutes reading the printed manual from cover to cover, open the app and away you go. Even with something like TRK-01, it's open Reaktor Player, locate the ensemble, load it, set up the outputs and then go. That's fine when you are producing but when you just want to have a play around, it can be a bit of a buzzkill.

I see it more as an alternative to a standalone softsynth like Equator or Factory that also have VSTi versions. I never used to understand the point of standalone versions of softsynths but through using Equator with my first Roli, I came to appreciate the focus and immediacy they offer.
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pmI’ve gotten Reaktor to sound right up there in quality compared to some of my higher end hardware instruments, and you’re telling me that’s this one will trounce a good Reaktor Blocks parch running at 88 kHz? I highly doubt it.
I wouldn't expect it to. I have no doubt of the sonic superiority of any decent softsynth to the vast majority of hardware. You just can't beat stacking 32 de-tuned and de-panned oscillators into a single voice. There is just something about the way this particular synth sounds that I really, really like. It's character, not quality.
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pmMake a raw basic sound that you think is great. Use everything but the digital oscillator function, because that will be too difficult to match. Use a basic saw or pulse. Post a recording and a screenshot of the patch and we’ll actually see if there’s a difference in quality. Character, is another story, and if you’re married to the character of a synth, have at it. I get that.
Who cares about arcane shit like that? I don't use raw oscillators in a song, I use programmed patches. In some synths the raw oscillators sound very ordinary but in the context of the full signal path, they are able to create amazing sounds. I find Thorn to be very much like this - no isolated part of it sounds particularly good but the glorious noise I can get out of the whole thing blows my mind.
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pmThe difference should be obvious to your analyzer even if it isn't to your ears.
If that's true then the difference is completely irrelevant. Surely we all make music to be heard by people with ears, not to be looked at on an analyser?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:47 am
Don’t get me wrong, I think it sounds interesting. I just think that you’ll do better with Reaktor 6 and not have to worry about USB audio.
Reaktor is really expensive, I've been able to justify the cost, both in terms of purchase and the time it would take to get it working for me. Trueno is much more immediate - spend 10 minutes reading the printed manual from cover to cover, open the app and away you go. Even with something like TRK-01, it's open Reaktor Player, locate the ensemble, load it, set up the outputs and then go. That's fine when you are producing but when you just want to have a play around, it can be a bit of a buzzkill.
Reaktor expensive? If you think about the cost per free instrument/effect you get, it’s probably the cheapest commercial instrument out there, and that’s not including the user library. Anyway, I just brought up Reaktor Blocks because I know its a way to easily make a 1:1 feature replica of a synth like Trueno. I could have easily said Zebra HZ, which I think has the ability to replicate the feature set too.
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pmI’ve gotten Reaktor to sound right up there in quality compared to some of my higher end hardware instruments, and you’re telling me that’s this one will trounce a good Reaktor Blocks parch running at 88 kHz? I highly doubt it.
I wouldn't expect it to. I have no doubt of the sonic superiority of any decent softsynth to the vast majority of hardware. You just can't beat stacking 32 de-tuned and de-panned oscillators into a single voice. There is just something about the way this particular synth sounds that I really, really like. It's character, not quality.
There’s nothing wrong with buying an instrument purely on character. Maybe I’ll go back and listen to things again now that more user demos exist. I love the DSI stuff that some people really hate. I get why they hate it, but there’s something about those buzzy oscillators and weird filter that really work well when you have them along side with more traditionally beautiful sounding synths.
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pmMake a raw basic sound that you think is great. Use everything but the digital oscillator function, because that will be too difficult to match. Use a basic saw or pulse. Post a recording and a screenshot of the patch and we’ll actually see if there’s a difference in quality. Character, is another story, and if you’re married to the character of a synth, have at it. I get that.
Who cares about arcane shit like that? I don't use raw oscillators in a song, I use programmed patches. In some synths the raw oscillators sound very ordinary but in the context of the full signal path, they are able to create amazing sounds. I find Thorn to be very much like this - no isolated part of it sounds particularly good but the glorious noise I can get out of the whole thing blows my mind.
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pmThe difference should be obvious to your analyzer even if it isn't to your ears.
If that's true then the difference is completely irrelevant. Surely we all make music to be heard by people with ears, not to be looked at on an analyser?
No, I meant “raw sound” meaning not one that had a lot of effects going on, not a raw oscillator sound. That would be meaningless. I was hoping to get a demo showing off the character of the oscillators interacting with the filter so I could see what a similar type sound would sound like using one of the better VSTis.

Who knows, I may end up with one, they sure are cheap and stealthy and I have a rather unnatural love for analog/digital hybrids. I do have a few issues though. For one, I’m out of USB ports. I’m guessing that something like that won’t work on a hub. How well does it work? Will it just plug in and work like my Heat does? Can I still run my projects at 32 samples of buffer? Will my USB sh!t the bed if I’m using the Heat and Trueno? Those things would have to be known before I bother trying it. I mean, I already have a Pro 2, which is kick ass in every way imaginable, and pretty to boot. It’s not like I need to fill a gap of some kind.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”