Current Launch v2 - A new instrument platform by Minimal Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:15 am
Greenstorm33 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:05 am That's what I was thinking. If you somehow watermark the expansion presets and I start with one but tweak it beyond recognition, it seems unfair to have it become read-only. But from a data standpoint that process is no different than slightly modifying a paid preset for use after your sub expires.

There's a reason Splice gives you a perpetual license for anything you download. Once you've got the samples there's no taking them back, and trying to enforce more restrictive licensing terms would be totally impractical.
I think remembering minimal audio stating something similar to splice approach. Meaning once downloaded and modified it is yours .. it was a view dozen pages back though ...

But to be honest I am generally surprised by this discussion as presets are the less sexy stuff in Current. Do U happen to like them? I have hard time on my side. I find them very much "in your face", not particularly good sounding and not practical. Maybe they are good for some genre I don't know?
I don't like the presets much either, but I do want to use things like samples/wavetables without wondering if I'll need to buy them in a year or not.

swilow11 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 am I don't like the presets much either, but I do want to use things like samples/wavetables without wondering if I'll need to buy them in a year or not.
Make sense...

swilow11 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:15 am
Greenstorm33 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:05 am That's what I was thinking. If you somehow watermark the expansion presets and I start with one but tweak it beyond recognition, it seems unfair to have it become read-only. But from a data standpoint that process is no different than slightly modifying a paid preset for use after your sub expires.

There's a reason Splice gives you a perpetual license for anything you download. Once you've got the samples there's no taking them back, and trying to enforce more restrictive licensing terms would be totally impractical.
I think remembering minimal audio stating something similar to splice approach. Meaning once downloaded and modified it is yours .. it was a view dozen pages back though ...

But to be honest I am generally surprised by this discussion as presets are the less sexy stuff in Current. Do U happen to like them? I have hard time on my side. I find them very much "in your face", not particularly good sounding and not practical. Maybe they are good for some genre I don't know?
I don't like the presets much either, but I do want to use things like samples/wavetables without wondering if I'll need to buy them in a year or not.
I think whatever samples and wavetables you download within your subscription period are yours for ever. I have trialed the Stream sub where you spend sample credits in order to download samples and they still show up in my downloads and am still able to download them now that my trial has ended.

If this helps anybody, here's my question and the answer I got from Minimal Audio support regarding third-party sound packs.
Me: Also wanted to clarify. If I release a third-party sound pack that uses content from the Stream (all access stuff) but the end user doesn't have RTO, will he/she still be able to use such a pack?

Minimal Audio Support: Yes, all factory content in presets will always load.
I'm guessing that if you don't have RTO but a perpetual and you don't have some of the stuff from RTO used in a particular preset, the preset will still load but the sound source that uses a wavetable/sample from all access (not perpetual factory content) will not be editable, but will still load and play fine in session. That's how I understand it based on the past posts from Minimal Audio and a chat with their support. Minimal Audio should clarify this here and on their website.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

I'm not sure they answered your question. you ask about all-access/RTO but they've replied talking about factory content.

spektralisk wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:38 am I'm guessing that if you don't have RTO but a perpetual and you don't have some of the stuff from RTO used in a particular preset, the preset will still load but the sound source that uses a wavetable/sample from all access (not perpetual factory content) will not be editable, but will still load and play fine in session. That's how I understand it based on the past posts from Minimal Audio and a chat with their support. Minimal Audio should clarify this here and on their website.
I'm curious how, for example, a wavetable oscillator will "not be editable". Like greyed out/locked parameters? Even gain/pan? Or even modulators of the oscillator?

I guess we will have to wait and see what this is in actuality but it's just more reason to avoid using non factory content, and loops me back to my only really concern is that it does seem hard to know what is and isn't factory content.

The factory vs stream confusion definitely needs some work. To use AA for stream content and a tick for factory content is a bad choice. For me, a tick would suggest a downloaded state, AA would mean...god knows what. Also when you enter a preset pack, they use the same icon for downloaded / not downloaded and just change the colour. Why not a cloud icon with a download arrow for content not yet downloaded, and a tick or computer icon to show its downloaded/local? We've had these conventions for years now with online apps and they work, no need to rethink the wheel and make it a triangle.

I was all the time very undecided about Current...
I nonetheless paid the 120,-€ for one year as I wanted to use the payback of 180,-€ anyway to buy Rift and Fuse Comp so there was nothing to lose...

I have to say that people claiming the lack of clarity about sounds and wavetables made a very valid point here...
I could never justify buying another year for me just to get the All Access running as the provided content is (for me) qualitywise so far away from the price tag that it´s not even funny...
I am not into eurobass/dnb at all and find these kind of sounds so unattractiv that I i.e. shut down every tutorial video immediately as soon as I notice the example music is about these styles... I simply cannot stand this ugly sound...

Having a such one sided factory sound base (and most of the expansions too) with exactly the type of sounds I hate with the whole of my heart I find they need to pay me for letting them feed me with that stuff (joking of course)...

That being said they need imho to make very very clear for every preset, every wavetable, every sample what is yours and what is subscription only (at this point in time) by color code or whatever...
In it´s "current" state (Attention: pun!) I will definetely not touch it for serious work...

It´s a nice synth and I will keep an eye on it... it might be some day they will understand that a complete subscription based sound library full of (at the very end) extreme niche sounds isn´t the best idea and hire some talented sound designers to provide their clients with more pleasant stuff...
Last edited by Trancit on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@Spektralisk should create an expansion for current. Seriously heavyweight sound designer.
Duality without regard to physicality

What kind of presets or expansions would you love to hear, guys?

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:41 pm I was all the time very undecided about Current the whole time...
I nonetheless paid the 120,-€ for one year as I wanted to use the payback of 180,-€ anyway to buy Rift and Fuse Comp so there was nothing to lose...

I have to say that people claiming the lack of clarity about sounds and wavetables made a very valid point here...
I could never justify buying another year for me just to get the All Access running as the provided content is (for me) qualitywise so far away from the price tag that it´s not even funny...
I am not into eurobass/dnb at all and find these kind of sounds so unattractiv that I i.e. shut down every tutorial video immediately as soon as I notice the example music is about these styles... I simply cannot stand this ugly sound...

Having a such one sided factory sound base (and most of the expansions too) with exactly the type of sounds I hate with the whole of my heart I find they need to pay me for letting them feed me with that stuff (joking of course)...

That being said they need imho to make very very clear for every preset, every wavetable, every sample what is yours and what is subscription only (at this point in time) by color code or whatever...
In it´s "current" state (Attention: pun!) I will definetely not touch it for serious work...

It´s a nice synth and I will keep an eye on it... it might be some day they will understand that a complete subscription based sound library full of (at the very end) extreme niche sounds isn´t the best idea and hire some talented sound designers to provide their clients with more pleasant stuff...
Completely agree. If the All Access subscription content was diverse and interesting to me as a musician, I would be happy enough to ultimately purchase what presets and sounds I used. But, like you, I'm not really into neuro or bass music, so don't want to be stuck with purchases of things that are of little relevance to my tastes. Not being able to tell the difference, at a glance, makes most of the content dubious. I like Current and want to use it more, and will if Minimal Audio clear this stuff up. At the moment, I find myself using other synths more.

enCiphered wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:08 pm What kind of presets or expansions would you love to hear, guys?
At the very end it doesn´t matter... main thing is it shall be more "normal"...
That´s the advantage for a sound designer for Current at the moment... the provided sounds are that extreme that there is a huge huge gap to fill...

Just do normal pads, normal arps, normal leads...etc... just like nearly every synth has got out of the box... :tu:

Just do normal pads, normal arps, normal leads...etc...
That we can use in our projects ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:44 am
Just do normal pads, normal arps, normal leads...etc...
That we can use in our projects ;)
Ok, you explained it much shorter... :D

Trancit wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:08 am
enCiphered wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:08 pm What kind of presets or expansions would you love to hear, guys?
At the very end it doesn´t matter... main thing is it shall be more "normal"...
That´s the advantage for a sound designer for Current at the moment... the provided sounds are that extreme that there is a huge huge gap to fill...

Just do normal pads, normal arps, normal leads...etc... just like nearly every synth has got out of the box... :tu:
i don't really get it. how many synths does one need that do 'bread & butter' sounds?

what i want, currently, is synths that go other places. i have more-than enough normal sounds...

Return to “Instruments”