Softube VCA Compressor for free (limited time)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Surprisingly (not a huge Sotftube fan - I tend to find their stuff decidedly "meh") this compressor seems to be really great to me, quite easy to dial in and sounds rather good on anything I've so far tried it on.

So I am wondering: are the other two on the same level, quality-wise?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am Surprisingly (not a huge Sotftube fan - I tend to find their stuff decidedly "meh") this compressor seems to be really great to me, quite easy to dial in and sounds rather good on anything I've so far tried it on.

Way better than the original Softube FET, not as good as the Weiss DS1

-Disable browser extensions since I guess I can't make an account without a bunch of third party trackers
-Figure out what the unstated password requirements are as it keeps telling me it needs to have things it already does (auto-generated)
-Active account, return to website, login, get plugin.
-Link iLok account.

And now they wants me to download and install a download manager I don't want or need because they can't provide an installer like every other sane company?

I think I'll stick with the compressors I have, thanks.

AtomOfScent wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:29 am And now they wants me to download and install a download manager I don't want or need because they can't provide an installer like every other sane company?

I think I'll stick with the compressors I have, thanks.
The page with the installers is linked on the second page of this thread

DMG68 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:58 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:21 am You can also: Only download the installer with Softube Central, and then start the installer manually, and choose locations for the plugins (which are already taken over from the last install in the installer though).
That’s how I do it.
Still no control over AAX/VST2/VST3, but it’s quick to delete the 2 I don’t need. Softube aren’t the only ones that don’t give control over which format you install, even so, I wish all developers would stop it, but for now I just make peace with it and delete.
Yup. Same goes for UJAM, NI, Arturia...

It could have been easily done in settings (check the ones you need) but no, apparently.

jens wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am Surprisingly (not a huge Sotftube fan - I tend to find their stuff decidedly "meh") this compressor seems to be really great to me, quite easy to dial in and sounds rather good on anything I've so far tried it on.

The improvements to their compressors is really substantial in my opinion. Especially the VCA and the FET mk2. The saturation in the FET mk2 is to me worth it alone and as a bonus you get a very good 1176 compressor too.

Another hidden gem in the Softube arsenal, at least in my opinion, is the Germanium compressor. The compression itself can be very weird and quirky (which I can confirm is the case for the hardware as well!!) so very rarely usable for ordinary tasks, but the mojo.. the harmonic distortion of that thing is just ridiculously over the top, quirky and awesome! Completely unique sounding plugin. It is however very much a one trick pony but when it works, it WORKS! It'll scoop and boost bass like no other plugin, which can be a blessing or a curse. What I usually do is throw it through the madness of the mojo and then heavily HPF filter all the boom and bloom away, leaving the signal sound strangely bass heavy and scooped yet still under control. It's just a wonderfully weird plugin.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Grabbed it. The drive is nice too, like the smashin' compression. Maybe not used by us so much but a good to have tool.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

bmanic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:23 am

The improvements to their compressors is really substantial in my opinion. Especially the VCA and the FET mk2. The saturation in the FET mk2 is to me worth it alone and as a bonus you get a very good 1176 compressor too.

Another hidden gem in the Softube arsenal, at least in my opinion, is the Germanium compressor. The compression itself can be very weird and quirky (which I can confirm is the case for the hardware as well!!) so very rarely usable for ordinary tasks, but the mojo.. the harmonic distortion of that thing is just ridiculously over the top, quirky and awesome! Completely unique sounding plugin. It is however very much a one trick pony but when it works, it WORKS! It'll scoop and boost bass like no other plugin, which can be a blessing or a curse. What I usually do is throw it through the madness of the mojo and then heavily HPF filter all the boom and bloom away, leaving the signal sound strangely bass heavy and scooped yet still under control. It's just a wonderfully weird plugin.
Thanks! That germanium comp sounds certainly interesting in a way, but tbh what I really like about their DBX emu is that it is so useful&predictable on a huge range of sources... and while I love testing&playing around with a myriad of plugins like the next guy, there's a few plugins that are like a safe haven to me which I can always return to in order to get my sound - and get it fast. I use these for about 80-90% of whatever I do.

(These may change over time, i.e. now and then they get replaced by others but usually I could return to my older preference without any issues.)

And I think this Softube VCA deserves a spot in this list of mine.

Today's offer from Softube was/is to upgrade to the bundle for ~50$, which - based on the strength of the VCA - I willfully accepted. Well played, Softube, well played.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I found a solution for the Softube/Reaper problem. From the Reaper forums:

"Right click on plugin in Fx browser and uncheck "inform plug-in when track channel count changes"."

I tested it, and it has worked for me so far with no issues.

That's awesome! Thanks for the tip mate!!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Effects”