Zebralette 3 Spline Editor & UX Discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:19 am Well, you can't possibly compare an EQ to a wavetable editor. We also do not prevent anyone from music production - that's a grotesque statement here.
To demonstrate how this could work in your graph UI, here is a video screen-capture

To be clear, the usability statement isn't by me, it was actually by Janko Roettgers and Athan Billias, president of the MIDI Association 2 days ago:
In order to better help visually impaired musicians, music production technology has to get more accessible across the board, believes Billias, whose group has been developing a new standard for music accessibility. Doing so will also make music tech itself more accessible to broader sections of the population. “When you make your product more accessible, you actually make it better and easier to use for everybody,” Billias says.

Making musical instruments easier to use has been at the core of the MIDI Association’s work ever since its founding close to a decade ago. The group’s MIDI standard allows digital instruments and computers from different manufacturers to communicate with each other. Now, the group is also pushing for uniting disparate accessibility efforts across the industry. “They’re working in silos,” Billias says. “The issue is that it’s piecemeal.”

The MIDI Association’s work in this field includes an effort to create a technical standard that could help vision-impaired musicians to more easily control their recording and production gear by loading accessibility settings whenever they plug one of their devices into another. The nonprofit also plans to help spread the word about accessibility, and potentially steward open source software efforts in the field.

Well, I guess Izotope used to be 170+ people (according to LiknedIn) and they probably could spare a UX developer or two to create all those relations that are necessary to tab around in a relatively simple EQ application. We are a team of 19, and we haven't even found out how to get the tab key in every host. In fact, we gave up on a very ambitious attempt to use key control after it turned out that every major host would intercept some if not all keys that are required for any standard key control. I may eventually demonstrate just how good our system could be, if all hosts were playing nice enough.

If any initiative was to be taken to make plug-ins better in that respect, then maybe we should go forward with plug-in formats where plug-ins are not second class citizens. I would reckon, a plug-in format with an open extension system would be ideal, such as CLAP. Mr. Bilias and his team are welcome to contribute such an extension.

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am In fact, we gave up on a very ambitious attempt to use key control after it turned out that every major host would intercept some if not all keys that are required for any standard key control. I may eventually demonstrate just how good our system could be, if all hosts were playing nice enough.
Will it still be possible to activate that option via the preference / config text file ? I love how you've implemented it, it's absolutely brillant and a joy to use.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Yes, it still works. I might even fix the missing input for negative parameter values.

But it doesn’t work with this waveform editor of course. Some of it has preliminary key assignments, but we will certainly rework these at some point.

Is it possible to add an indicator, like a dot or circle of where I am in the morph path? I am mainly looking for an indicator on the line where all the curves reside.

Thank you

Yes, we have that on our radar.

Just a minor comment: When switching between the curve editor tabs (e.g. Shapes vs. Edit), the animation is a bit awkward. For me it would be totally fine to not animate this transition at all, that would feel more instant anyway.

Enabling and disabling a mod matrix slot - the icon looks a bit out of the place for me. First, it looks like a record button, not so much an enable/disable switch. Second, it's put inside of a box and the UI doesn't do that elsewhere. For consistency, maybe just use the on/off toggle as in the other places (e.g. Mix section), just bigger?

I'm a bit undecided about the small modulation circle. It is very small and unassuming and you need to first get that its your drag handle for the modulation. The "plugmon style" (which I'm used to now) is also not quite explicit, but offers you more space where you drag the modulation. However, I think the small circle has the advantage that you could have more than one and also indicate modulations coming from the mod matrix. Is that the plan? I'd be very happy if everything that is modulated would somehow visually indicate that it's being modulated. Even if I then need to hover over it to see where the modulation is coming from.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Suggestion in case it is possible.

In Kontakt for example, you can press the up and down buttons to browse the presets in the presets browser. And the connected synth is playing a note with the preset then. At the moment we need to press the up and down button, and a key at our keyboard to listen to the preset. This would be a quality of life feature for me to find the preset with the sound that i am looking for.

Kind regards
Tiles

Regarding the spline editor.

The X axis can be zoomed to make precise settings. But the Y axis cannot and it is not currently possible to override the snapping. Sometimes the small difference between where I can drag the point to, and when it snaps can have a noticeable change on the sound. So 2 things:

1- Shift to temporarily disable snapping.
2- Ability to see the numerical value for a point in the top info box and again Shift would make more precise adjustments.

Regarding #2. There are cases where very small changes can significantly affect the sound. Depending on the situation, it can feel clumsy making precise adjustments and not just at snapping points.

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am Yes, it still works. I might even fix the missing input for negative parameter values.

But it doesn’t work with this waveform editor of course. Some of it has preliminary key assignments, but we will certainly rework these at some point.
Are you building Zebralette using the JUCE framework?
JUCE is the most widely used framework for audio application and plug-in development. It is an open source C++ codebase that can be used to create standalone software on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android, as well as VST, VST3, AU, AUv3, AAX and LV2 plug-ins...it hooks into the native accessibility controls on each platform by default, allowing users to interact with JUCE-based software using the standard workflows of each operating system.

I agree with above statements, that the switch Curve/Guide1-3 should be available in the normal view, too. I think the plot switch could be a selectbox instead, and then this selectbox above it.

One question: If I use Guide 1 for Spectral Dist Curve, how can I use now Guide 2 for the Curve Filter FX? EDIT: Ah ok, Morph knob in the middle position? That would be 100% guide 2?

lattetown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:35 pm Are you building Zebralette using the JUCE framework?
No, we don't.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:25 pm One question: If I use Guide 1 for Spectral Dist Curve, how can I use now Guide 2 for the Curve Filter FX? EDIT: Ah ok, Morph knob in the middle position? That would be 100% guide 2?
Yep, that's correct!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:23 pm I agree with above statements, that the switch Curve/Guide1-3 should be available in the normal view, too. I think the plot switch could be a selectbox instead, and then this selectbox above it.
We will figure something out. The point of the small editors is to illustrate that the whole editing process is still on the same level as in the old Zebralette/Zebra2 - for those who wish for it to stay that simple.

Most likely, Guides will be available via key command and contextual menu. You can edit them right now by key command, pressing g to iterate through them and shift-g to switch between Curve and Guide. Just g with the Curve in foreground switches them off again. All that only works in hosts and platforms where g reaches the plug-in. We have yet to figure out how we get that reliably on Windows.

Return to “u-he”