Where is Reason 13?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which DAW do you think I should give a try for a bettter sequencer which looks nice and feels like Reason .... a bit?

I just can't wait another year for possible sequencer updates in Reason.... :neutral:

LaLivre wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 am Which DAW do you think I should give a try for a bettter sequencer which looks nice and feels like Reason .... a bit?

I just can't wait another year for possible sequencer updates in Reason.... :neutral:
I think everybody can have his own opinion but for me I tried a bit Reaper/FL and a lot Ableton Live.
I always went back to Reason just because I was feeling like a better musician, better inspired in Reason.

Then I tried Bitwig and in about 1 hour I knew I would never go back to any other DAW.
It may be not for all use cases but for me it was just perfect.
I love its arranger/piano roll and of course, it is extremely modern and compatible and its modulation system is an endless source of inspiration.
And the RRP works very very very well with it.
You can easily move to Bitwig, stop swearing at Reason and start to like it for what it is, not a great DAW but a fabulous ecosystem, full of well-made synths not available elsewhere.

LaLivre wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 am Which DAW do you think I should give a try for a bettter sequencer which looks nice and feels like Reason .... a bit?
For me personally there's really nothing that compares and I've tried them all - which is a shame because
I didn't wait since I really want to use Melodyne (of which I own the highest tier) plus Reason lacks
some really basic stuff such as being able to safe another version of a project without having to duplicate all the audio-data - which is so absurd there are no words for it* (my projects typically are 2-3+ Gb in size) and so I moved to other DAWs a while ago...

*but hey, at least the new Props-CEO is sipping away on an IPA while some shitty influencer is throwing a party in their office-space** :dog:

**dude most probably took some fancy training-course where he learned this is good modern management plus splendid marketing too - I'm just wondering whether he unbossed yet or if that's going to happen next year...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

You're probably thinking about how the rack interacts with the sequencer. There is nothing else like it AFAIK. Try Bitwig, FL Studio or Ableton Live. Somewhat similar vibe to Reason, at least compared to something like Reaper or any of the other ones which are typically associated with working with audio and recordings.
LaLivre wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 am I just can't wait another year for possible sequencer updates in Reason
The Reason DAW is basically a legacy product from the times before the venture capital sellout. I consider my Reason 11 standard license to be some sort of pseudo-abandonware. Wouldn't be even slightly surprised if i can't even authorize it sooner rather than later. Anyone who isn't on Reason+ for the rack plugin, is a burden.

I have almost every major DAW which all have specific strengths but to me nothing feels like Reason. I've tried many times throughout the years making other DAW's my main music making environment but I always come back.

There is something about the Reason ecosystem that just begs me to make music instead of toying around with other things. I actually love the sequencer, the inline pitch editor, the slice marker system, etc. so I'm happy using it for day to day work. Version 12 as of right now is super stable, bug free, and has the tools I need to make music. I'd love some cool sequencer updates and maybe some visual updates in the next version but I'm pretty happy where its at currently.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Logic has a Reason theme
https://logicproxthemes.blogspot.com/20 ... na-15.html

and the ChromaVerb is also quite close
https://logicproxthemes.blogspot.com/20 ... logic.html
especially the stock plugins look nice in it

still can use Reason as a plugin in, if u need a more eyes friendlier one the FLS
https://logicproxthemes.blogspot.com/20 ... etina.html
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Reason Studios is a small company. They tend to stay focused. They can't release every user request.
For me the Reason DAW is not a legacy product nor an outdated sequencer. It's simply a multitrack for the rack. The majority of the work is done in the rack with players, instruments and CV, so the sequencer can be lighter than other daws. Furthermore, the Ableton sequencer, for example, is a way back over the Reason one. Ableton doesn't have bounce in place, pitch correction, a tool for trim midi notes, a good mixer to mix with and only recently they added comping (Bitwig too). It also crashes very often. Reason, on the other hand, has all these features and is a rock-solid piece of software, it's very stable.

I really enjoy creating music in the Reason ecosystem. Every DAW lacks something, so I stick to Reason hoping for new features in the near future after the release of vst3, companion and Silicon.

ps: tap tempo in Cubase was introduced with version 13.........

arcy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:57 am Reason Studios is a small company. They tend to stay focused. They can't release every user request.
For me the Reason DAW is not a legacy product nor an outdated sequencer. It's simply a multitrack for the rack. The majority of the work is done in the rack with players, instruments and CV, so the sequencer can be lighter than other daws. Furthermore, the Ableton sequencer, for example, is a way back over the Reason one. Ableton doesn't have bounce in place, pitch correction, a tool for trim midi notes, a good mixer to mix with and only recently they added comping (Bitwig too). It also crashes very often. Reason, on the other hand, has all these features and is a rock-solid piece of software, it's very stable.

I really enjoy creating music in the Reason ecosystem. Every DAW lacks something, so I stick to Reason hoping for new features in the near future after the release of vst3, companion and Silicon.

Try Bitwig + RRP. This is an exquisite combination.

^^^ but the sequencers in the racks require pattern selector tracks, + need automation tracks too, so in terms of numbers, they are not fewer than in other DAWs

personally would like to see marker tracks. group tracks and blocks in blocks
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:26 am loop/step recording is supported by the sequencers
Huh? You completely lost me there tbh... :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Jac459 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:29 am Try Bitwig + RRP. This is an exquisite combination.
I also use it that way although Reason is actually better as a DAW in many ways (such as the melodyne style audio pitch quantise)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:19 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:29 am Try Bitwig + RRP. This is an exquisite combination.
I also use it that way although Reason is actually better as a DAW in many ways (such as the melodyne style audio pitch quantise)

Reason is a great DAW, in particular for Audio. But it isn't very useful for me because I am printing very little.
Somehow what really made me look away is the navigation in Piano roll and Arranger. The way you zoom, unzoom, move left and up is very very slow and clumsy for my taste/workflow.
I like trackpad and with Bitwig I can nagivate by moving 2 fingers, zoom by pinching, it is crazy productive.

But really a question of taste and use case, nothing wrong with Reason.
On the contrary, I am immensely grateful on Reason Studios idea of providing the RRP, it is really a great idea and a win situation for the customers.

PinchBar works well for Reason trackpad zooming - https://github.com/pnoqable/PinchBar

Reason is so freaking unique that it may be better to suffer in the Sequencer than the other way around.

Reason Rack is the only way to snatch the the Rack world and attached it to a better sequencer.
It’s not the same workflow anymore but if you can’t work with the Sequencer any longer, then, you have no choice beside wait for a overdue Reason-able miracle :D
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

arcy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:57 am Reason Studios is a small company. They tend to stay focused. They can't release every user request.

Perfectly said.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”