Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Works in Cubase. Got around 5% CPU hit no matter how many voices i play or unison or anything. Intel 8700K here.

This is truly amazing although still in early beta.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

video tutorial on how to setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEjlJP32FrA
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

pepelogu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:06 pm Works in Cubase. Got around 5% CPU hit no matter how many voices i play or unison or anything. Intel 8700K here.

This is truly amazing although still in early beta.
Please, how do you make this thing work in Cubase ? I don't get it. I've tried everything I find logical, nothing is working so far. :scared:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:35 pm Judst tried it a bit. Funky. :) My CPU totally craps out though, as expected. Not able to play anything but some very simple patches. When I activate unison, for example, it's dropout galore. Very nice though. I'll keep an eye on this project, and hope for some performance improvements, and, maybe, one day, support for synths which use multiple of the Motorola DSP's.
What is your specs?

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:35 pm Judst tried it a bit. Funky. :) My CPU totally craps out though, as expected. Not able to play anything but some very simple patches. When I activate unison, for example, it's dropout galore.
Did you try Virus C or Virus B?

Regarding the droputs, there was that post in the other thread
numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 am Breakthrough: As the Virus C is clocked at 136MHz we decided to swap the ROM over to the Virus B which runs at 108MHz and it seems to work flawlessly

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/2021/07/ ... n-as-vsti/
Should this mean that running the Virus B ROM must take less CPU than the Virus C one or not?

Didn't have the time to try it myself yet :(
Last edited by recursive one on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

sergiofrias wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:11 pm video tutorial on how to setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEjlJP32FrA
Thanks a lot! :tu:

I was playing around with this the whole day. Real Virus in the box, amazing. Very CPU expensive (unusable in projects) but it's only the beginning. I also did some comparison between Viper and C; Viper is very close and less CPU intensive (duh), but having the real one and assuming it will be usable in the near future, it will make Viper kinda redundant.

anoise wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:29 am having the real one and assuming it will be usable in the near future, it will make Viper kinda redundant.
Not really, Viper has the features which are only available in Virus TI, such as wavetables, hypersaw, more effects, and also some useful additions like wavetable import. It may sound somewhat less authentic though.

The same kind of thing as Monark vs Diva - more authentic sound vs more features.

Yeah, but keep in mind, this emulator aims to run the TI ROM (and other VA ROMs) eventually, we'll see.

recursive one wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:01 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:35 pm Judst tried it a bit. Funky. :) My CPU totally craps out though, as expected. Not able to play anything but some very simple patches. When I activate unison, for example, it's dropout galore.
Did you try Virus C or Virus B?

Regarding the droputs, there was that post in the other thread
numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 am Breakthrough: As the Virus C is clocked at 136MHz we decided to swap the ROM over to the Virus B which runs at 108MHz and it seems to work flawlessly

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/2021/07/ ... n-as-vsti/
Should this mean that running the Virus B ROM must take less CPU than the Virus C one or not?
The tool provided on their website checks whether you're able to run th ROM's, and the Virus C has a higher clock speed, so, I'm sure that it takes more CPU as well.

I only tried the Virus B ROM. The check tool gave me an average of avout 150 MIPS, but, there are still dropouts the whole time.

My CPU is a Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3.

Well, I'll wait for potential optimizations, and will try again one day then. ATM, it also doesn't make much sense to me to go on using it, because there is no proper GUI provided, and the only way to get some tones out of it is to map a limited number of controls to my MIDI keyboard controls.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 am Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for something that's not properly functional. And it relies on a demo of a third party product? Think I'll stick with Viper for now. Incidentally I wonder how Adam Szabo feels about it.
I have Viper but seriously who care what Adam feel about it. Did you asked same question when Adam released Viper. Like did you wonder what and how Access developers feels about it. You did not. And Viper will continue to live, pretty sure about it.

It's a geeky thing for sure this whole Emulator.

It isn't commercial nor is it trying to be something it isn't.

It's a darn chip emulator and it's a very good at it.

Noone is trying to sell anything to anyone. You take it for what it is. It's a proof of concept so to speak.

All these why bitcoin, why not real names etc. and request for drama. Standard KVR nonsense.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't think Adam should be worried much. Viper is a mature product that runs smoothly in any Windows DAW without any need to jump through hoops and offers way more features than Virus C.

I haven't tried this thing yet, but as it stands it seems that using it in real projects is no easier than using a hardware Virus.

I'll try it when I have time and will keep an eye on the development, anyways, it's great to have options.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 am Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for something that's not properly functional. And it relies on a demo of a third party product? Think I'll stick with Viper for now. Incidentally I wonder how Adam Szabo feels about it.
It accepts midi notes , midicc's and outputs real time audio , so what's not properly functional ?
The only culprit is the use of a loopback device but that's only when you want tu use the editor.
It accepts midi cc's without any loopback devices .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”