Waveform Problem Plugins

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zzz00m wrote:and I do think that your experiences may be self inflicted, due to your computer configuration, plugins, etc. :D
And in some way it certainly is - it always is...
("whenever I press the "s" on my keyboard, I get a BSOD" - "well then... don't press it")
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:One idea for a cause might be small ASIO buffers - perhaps Wafeform doesn't like them for a reason, or at least not with some drivers? What do people use? My Profire 2626 run @128 samples...

will have to experiment, but it's tedious and I'd much rather makes music instead with a host that doesn't constantly crash on me... but then it might not get fixed... catch28
My main DAW is Sonar, and I spend a fair bit of time over at the Cakewalk forums, learning to troubleshoot this DAW stuff a step at a time. I build computers as a hobby, for myself, family, and friends.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were doing, but anytime I see a post that "the software is broken!", I tend to assume that the target of the problem is usually with the system setup. Or else everybody would be having the same issue, which would get prompt attention from the developers.

The advice that I have seen is usually to bump your audio buffers up to 512, unless you are tracking. If you are mixing, the higher buffers won't really matter. If you are tracking, use the largest buffer you can stand to allow your real-time FX to function. I run mine at an average of 256, but I mostly use virtual instruments.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

First if all I don nit seperate mixing and tracking (that would an extremely unnatural distinction for me personally) and then I certainly won't run at 512 samples anymore - this is so last decade for me. If a host was so poorly coded that it would force me to run at such a high buffer-size to run crash-free, then I would certainly stop using it.

I'm not exactly short of hosts, you know? :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:First if all I don nit seperate mixing and tracking (that would an extremely unnatural distinction for me personally) and then I certainly won't run at 512 samples anymore - this is so last decade for me. If a host was so poorly coded that it would force me to run at such a high buffer-size to run crash-free, then I would certainly stop using it.

This is probably the most lucid explanation of CPU Performance vs. Real-Time Performance in Digital Audio Workstations (DAW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Waveform doesn't access the multiple outs on Plogue's Aria Player plugin. Outs 1/2 are the only ones available.
Win11 (64-bit) | 2.6GHz Intel i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM | UAD Volt 2 | Tracktion Waveform 13 Pro/Cockos Reaper 7/Ableton Live 11 Standard/Presonus Studio One 6.6 Pro | A multitude of paid-for and free VST plugs/samples

jens wrote:First if all I don nit seperate mixing and tracking (that would an extremely unnatural distinction for me personally) and then I certainly won't run at 512 samples anymore - this is so last decade for me. If a host was so poorly coded that it would force me to run at such a high buffer-size to run crash-free, then I would certainly stop using it.

I don't separate mixing and tracking either, so I get where you're coming from. That said, is it maybe worth trying setting it higher, and enabling low latency mode (in the CPU monitor window, top right), when you're tracking? See if that's any better? You can toggle things like the low latency mode buffer size etc on the settings / audio devices tab. I know you've been using T forever, but if you took a break, you maybe missed that feature coming in ...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Add Retrologue 1.1. I can get the VST3 synth to load, but it can't find it's presets.

It runs great on Studio One and Reaper.

I just reinstalled two extra preset set; Vintage Classics and Sounds of Soul but no change.

Any ideas?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Integratron wrote:Add Retrologue 1.1. I can get the VST3 synth to load, but it can't find it's presets.

I just reinstalled two extra preset set; Vintage Classics and Sounds of Soul but no change.

Any ideas?
No way round this till Tracktion finally add support for VSTpresets - been asking for this for years now

aMUSEd wrote:
Integratron wrote:Add Retrologue 1.1. I can get the VST3 synth to load, but it can't find it's presets.

Any ideas?
No way round this till Tracktion finally add support for VSTpresets - been asking for this for years now

VST3?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

It supports VST3, but incompletely - not VST3 presets (vstpresets)

aMUSEd wrote:It supports VST3, but incompletely - not VST3 presets (vstpresets)
That makes sense. As a test, I just loaded the VST3 version of Analogue Lab and it loads and operates fine.

You are right though because I can't load presets from the T Properties Panel, only from the Analogue Labs
GUI.

The thing is, Retrologue also has the capability to load presets from it's GUI and that did run in the past. The preset selector is centered and toward the bottom of the Retrologue UI. Now it's missing. Weird!

Integratron wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It supports VST3, but incompletely - not VST3 presets (vstpresets)
That makes sense. As a test, I just loaded the VST3 version of Analogue Lab and it loads and operates fine.

You are right though because I can't load presets from the T Properties Panel, only from the Analogue Labs
GUI.

The thing is, Retrologue also has the capability to load presets from it's GUI and that did run in the past. The preset selector is centered and toward the bottom of the Retrologue UI. Now it's missing. Weird!
Padshop does this too but only when loaded as VST2 or AU.

btw I successfully loaded Padshop in Waveform as a VST2 by changing its extension to .VST and putting a copy in the VST2 folder (on Mac) - that forced the dropdown to show

I did ask Steinberg to add the dropdown to all versions ages ago on their support forum - they assume all hosts are as capable as Cubase at handling VST3 but the fact is the majority of VST3 hosts only partially support the format.

btw Arturia VST3's have their own internal preset format anyway so don't use the VST3 default format.

btw I successfully loaded Padshop in Waveform as a VST2 by changing its extension to .VST and putting a copy in the VST2 folder (on Mac) - that forced the dropdown to show

Do you think this might work on a Windows 10 install of Waveform?

No idea, won't hurt to try (rename it to dll I presume)

isn't there a VST2 version on Windows already though?

Return to “Tracktion”