Tracking CLAP hosts and plugins

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm Go and figure…
I will, thanks 😄

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:17 pm
mabian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:59 am
Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am Wow, didn’t realise that clap is still a “thing” going - really slow uptake by devs 😉
So we currently have 3 main plugin formats:
- Vst
- AU
- AAX
It is certainly enough for developers to deal with these and stay busy keeping them up to date.
Three main DAWs - Cubase, Logic and ProTools will never adopt clap so the future of clap is not looking very promising 😞
Totally your own opinion.
What you mentioned are all closed proprietary standards owned by companies. Clap not so. Let's see in 5 years...
Not my opinion, just facts…
5 years..?! Wow,can’t wait lol😂
I think you are thinking too negative here...

AAX is just used by one single DAW and nonetheless there is an AAX version of nearly every commercial plugin...

CLAP will most likely be supported by all other DAWs apart the mentioned ones:
- Bitwig (already does)
- Reaper (already does)
- FL Studio (already does)
- Studio One
- Ableton
- Probably Sonar
- smaller companies which even perhaps are feeling to be pushed into CLAP because of these EULA changes...

With all of these DAW options and the advanced feature set of CLAP which might be easily the future I see the future of CLAP very bright... and if already market leaders like Fabfilter jumping on this train (u-he was already on board from the first moment) it´s a good sign that they see big chances as well...

Some day per voice modulation possibilities will be the standard people expect from plugin usage and as the other standards seem to sleep on this topic, CLAP will have a huge advantage and huge head start timewise...
It will be hard for the others to catch up and let´s see what Steinberg will tell then it´s userbase why they don´t offer anything like it...

I haven´t followed this topic too intense but I have the feeling that CLAP has the greatest plugin standard start since VST 1/2...
I find it astounishing how quickly this got adapted by so many companies...probably not at least because of the from the first moment support by such a well known company like u-he and the immediate DAW support of Bitwig showcasing all of the goodies in there...
Steini´s move will push this even more and I am curious how this "fight" will evolve :tu:

Trancit wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:18 pm
Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:17 pm Not my opinion, just facts…
more like obvious troll is obvious. “steinbergs” with a clap obsesssion. yeah, ok son.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:22 pm
more like obvious troll is obvious. “steinbergs” with a clap obsesssion. yeah, ok son.
Exactly 👍(my opinion, not facts 😬)

mabian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:34 pm
gaggle of hermits wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:22 pm
Exactly 👍(my opinion, not facts 😬)
‘Negative” “Obsession with clap” is not what I’m about.
Just stating facts.
Unless “big three” DAWs adopt clap, it will disappear from our vocabulary and DAWs within next 2 years 😞
Hope not…

logic and protools will never run vst (natively). oh no, whatever will Steinberg do?

we can all cherrypick examples.

It doesn't matter anyways if those 3 adopt CLAP. Protools & Logic have always been the exception. And CLAPs main audience are hardly Steinberg fanbois. The more DAWs support CLAP, the easier it becomes to drop VST3 instead, if it's only being used by Steinberg exclusively. Or -as we've already seen- it forces Steinberg to change something.

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am So we currently have 3 main plugin formats:
- Vst
- AU
- AAX
It is certainly enough for developers to deal with these and stay busy keeping them up to date.
Three main DAWs - Cubase, Logic and ProTools will never adopt clap
AAX is a main format? More DAW's already support CLAP than AAX. And CLAP DAW's have a bigger userbase too.

My prediction is that ProTools will support CLAP.

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:51 pm Unless “big three” DAWs adopt clap... (blah blah)
You are stuck in the past. Ableton Live and FL Studio have a bigger userbase than your 'big three'.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:28 pm
Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:51 pm Unless “big three” DAWs adopt clap... (blah blah)
You are stuck in the past. Ableton Live and FL Studio have a bigger userbase than your 'big three'.
Just happy to ignite dead post and making it alive again… 😉
Maybe “Big Three” will notice (unlikely).
Wish all the best for clap to sucsiede 👍

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:43 pm Just happy to ignite dead post and making it alive again… 😉
Maybe “Big Three” will notice (unlikely).
Wish all the best for clap to sucsiede 👍
(a fiddle plays a traditional tune) 🎶 "oh, trolly boy, your bridge, your bridge is calling..." 🎶

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm So if anyone is hoping for clap in Cubase - just forget it 😞
I have forgotten it, i deleted cubase yesterday after the latest fiasco around vst2 rights being forcibly removed.
Seems like the better way to go to support an open format rather than to support steinbergs lawyers.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Not clap
This is the future:
https://www.gpu.audio/

Kypresso wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:49 pm
Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm So if anyone is hoping for clap in Cubase - just forget it 😞
I have forgotten it, i deleted cubase yesterday after the latest fiasco around vst2 rights being forcibly removed.
Seems like the better way to go to support an open format rather than to support steinbergs lawyers.
I only need a few more plugin developers to support CLAP before I am using CLAP exclusively.

Not only is CLAP an open format, but it is functionally superior to VST3.

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:51 pm Unless “big three” DAWs adopt clap, it will disappear from our vocabulary and DAWs within next 2 years
For that to be logically consistent, adoption by 'the big three' is needed to support any plugin format, and the following would also need to be true...

Unless “big three” DAWs adopt AU they will disappear from our vocabulary and DAWs within next 2 years.
Unless “big three” DAWs adopt AAX they will disappear from our vocabulary and DAWs within next 2 years.
Unless “big three” DAWs adopt VST3 they will disappear from our vocabulary and DAWs within next 2 years.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”