Tracking CLAP hosts and plugins

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:19 pm
Not necessarily - they are the first other than Logic to support au3

Hopefully the EOL for VST2 plus continued shitshow that is VST3 will be a big boost for CLAP
+ 1000

jules99 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:31 am Big news from FL! Ableton will very likely be one of the last DAWs to include CLAP, as they have traditionally taken their time with just about everything. This does not rule out that there will ever be CLAP in Live, but we might still be a couple of years away from that. If FL does it, though, and then maybe Studio One follows soon, as they've been quick to adopt new technologies, then this thing might be heading into a bright future.

I can't ever see CLAP in Steinberg products, so now might be the time for a developer like DDMF to create a CLAP wrapper (a clapper?).
The clap team has already written a wrapper. We run claps in cubase live and logic as a test case regularly. It is free and open source liberally licensed software which you can download from https://github.com/free-audio/clap-wrapper. It would be great for ddmf and others to write similar wrappers or even use that as a guide. It’s totally technically feasible!

jules99 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:31 am Big news from FL! Ableton will very likely be one of the last DAWs to include CLAP, as they have traditionally taken their time with just about everything.
I doubt Ableton will be resistant to CLAP. I heard they didn't like being forced into VST3 by a competitor. (Who would)

My guess though is Studio One will be next after FL Studio.

I wonder if fl studio introducing clap support will mean it will be able to do polymod and the per voice expressions. Not a given I guess. Is bitwig the only one that does it or have any nether hosts mentioned plans to make use of that clap functionality?

FL Studio starts out with basic CLAP support, but I have seen conversations where a few more advanced extensions were mentioned. Whether or not these will be supported in future, I guess time will tell.

The point is, I think, as adoption increases, so will support for advanced features.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:24 pm I wonder if fl studio introducing clap support will mean it will be able to do polymod and the per voice expressions. Not a given I guess. Is bitwig the only one that does it or have any nether hosts mentioned plans to make use of that clap functionality?
I'm not aware of other DAW's having a per voice modulation system. I know very little about FL Studio though. Does FL Studio allow per voice modulation of their own synths at the DAW level like Bitwig does?

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:31 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:24 pm I wonder if fl studio introducing clap support will mean it will be able to do polymod and the per voice expressions. Not a given I guess. Is bitwig the only one that does it or have any nether hosts mentioned plans to make use of that clap functionality?
I'm not aware of other DAW's having a per voice modulation system. I know very little about FL Studio though. Does FL Studio allow per voice modulation of their own synths at the DAW level like Bitwig does?
No it doesnt even have mpe. So I guess unlikely to introduce polymod for clap any time soon.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:32 pm
No it doesnt even have mpe. So I guess unlikely to introduce polymod for clap any time soon.
Then yeah, seems unlikely.

It was easy for Bitwig cause they had the whole per voice modulation system already in place and only had to make it work with CLAP plugins. As far as I know, no other DAW has that internally so I don't see CLAP polymod coming to other DAW's anytime soon.

On the other hand, Urs mentioned once that several DAW companies are actually on the lookout for new exciting features, and what CLAP offers is very sexy IMO, so I can totally see more DAWs getting those things over time.
Especially if Steinbergs d_ckmoves continue to speed up CLAP adoption on the plugin side... :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:32 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:31 pm
Nonsense... FL Studio had per voice modulation via the PR editor for their native synths long before MPE or even Bitwig was a wet dream in the developer´s nights!!
Afterwards it got additional modulators (VFX (Voice FX) plugins) to use kind of per Voice in Patcher...

So the answer is yes... FLS has per voice modulation support for it´s native synths and samplers...
It´s not as advanced as Bitwig´s system and often cumbersome to use but it works!
These were the original options... all of the "Note properties" stuff works per voice with having addionally "Slide Notes" to do pitch slides per (up to 16) voice(s) as well:
PerVoice.jpg
And for the future it might happen that these existing PR sources will be available for 3rd party plugins like CLAP as well and I can imagine that they will extend Patcher for doing per voice stuff too...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wow, didn’t realise that clap is still a “thing” going - really slow uptake by devs 😉
So we currently have 3 main plugin formats:
- Vst
- AU
- AAX
It is certainly enough for developers to deal with these and stay busy keeping them up to date.
Three main DAWs - Cubase, Logic and ProTools will never adopt clap so the future of clap is not looking very promising 😞

Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am Wow, didn’t realise that clap is still a “thing” going - really slow uptake by devs 😉
- Vst
- AU
- AAX
It is certainly enough for developers to deal with these and stay busy keeping them up to date.
Three main DAWs - Cubase, Logic and ProTools will never adopt clap so the future of clap is not looking very promising 😞
Totally your own opinion.
What you mentioned are all closed proprietary standards owned by companies. Clap not so. Let's see in 5 years...

mabian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:59 am
Steinbergs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am Wow, didn’t realise that clap is still a “thing” going - really slow uptake by devs 😉
- Vst
- AU
- AAX
Totally your own opinion.
What you mentioned are all closed proprietary standards owned by companies. Clap not so. Let's see in 5 years...
Not my opinion, just facts…
5 years..?! Wow,can’t wait lol😂

That is "not looking very promising" and some daws "won't adopt it" is not facts... It's speculation. Steinberg supports au on Mac, no?

mabian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:30 pm That is "not looking very promising" and some daws "won't adopt it" is not facts... It's speculation. Steinberg supports au on Mac, no?
Only on iPad iOS and couple of plugins on Mac and it does not support AU in Cubase Pro on Mac…
Obviously since MacOS and iPadOS share the same architecture Steinberg can easily implement AU in Cubase on macOS but they don’t… Go and figure… 😞
So if anyone is hoping for clap in Cubase - just forget it 😞
Last edited by Steinbergs on Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”