Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spectrasonics don't provide demo installers, so few people in the linux community have done testing. You might find a gear store or studio that had some spectras installed, and arrange a test. But youtube has many preset walkthrough videos. Some linux user who is a license holder from a win/mac purchase could install avlinux to an external drive on the computer where the licensed version exists, and install to the external linux, or if needs be, sneakernet the folders and reg entries as needed. Might depend on how spectra ID's the licenensees computer...
As I compose my thots, I'm listening to this omni 2.6 sounds video below. While it would be nice to have the huge Omni sound collection and capabilities all in one plugin, I'm not hearing anything that sets it above what's available from the collective of available native linux plugins. For some, the convenience could be a serious $479 bargain where the time-is-money axiom is at play. Or the free-time is in serious-short-supply reality. Joining the yabridge discord would be good luck going forward for those looking for current experiences on somewhat exotic purchases

https://youtu.be/DQjfR6-5LAQ

Cheers

@hoxlab,
Other considerations are a linux daw, to coincide with using the standalone version, so Reaper, Bitwig, and Harrison Mixbus
are commercial choices in upgrade mode. Also, the heavier a plugin or executable relies on advanced video settings, the more likely you are to want the nvidia 3D driver and a supported video card. So
Ubuntu Studio has that driver as default, when an nvidia card is detected, and the nvidia splashscreen flashes during the boot cycle. The few plugins I have that don't yet work, usually show terminal output indicating some video failure to stop launching the plugin gui.

With the standalone Omni version, you'll likely need wineasio installed and working, or use the wasapi mode from the winecfg prefs panel. Reaper also offers wasapi in it's device preferences choices, and it might work well, depending on your computer.

AVLinux has a full wine/wineasio setup, wine-staging V6.2 on a fresh install, and also a Reaper demo installed, that would be good for a test session. Hope you find success soon!

Since Kontakt is half-price for a while I thought to remind people of the stellar libraries and creative tools available for it. My favorite is Kinetic Metal. With a little ergonomics and planning,
and disk space, you could use Reaper's save live output to disk option, set the machinery in motion, and take a nice nap as you drift off into some other space or time. Cool as the tip of an iceberg 8)

Kinetic-Metal-rakarrack.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I wasn't aware of the Kontakt sale! Lately, I've been trying to run completely Linux native, but now I'll have to consider this. NI sales for Kontakt purchases usually only come once a year. :-)

Questions.....

Is there ANY difficulty or problems or gotchas at all with getting Kontakt apps to work with WINE? What hoops do you have to jump through to get it working? :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hi, firstly, Native Access works quite well, but it has an auto-update 'feature' of itself built in, and this might fail, if so, you download the latest version from NI, and run the installer. A running Native Access will have an install button, an add serial-number button, an upgrade button, and a locate button (if applicable), so as a self-contained panel, it's easy to use. In linux at least, after an installation is finished, close and restart native Access, and it will authorize whatever products you just installed. I used it to update Kontakt, and it worked as I describe,
in Ubuntu Studio and AVLinux, both with wine-staging 6.14
(6.15 and 6.16 have serious flaws for linux audio junkies.)

To wrap Kontakt for use in linux Reaper, after installing the yabridge 3.52 wrapper, just two commands are needed, the first is all one line, the quotes are needed:

yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 bit"

yabridgectl sync

Other vst paths like

yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Common Files/VST3"

can be used as desired, and rerun the

yabridgectl sync

A lot of NI products come as a .iso file, but Kontakt is in an older codebase, not in a .iso form, and has installed and updated OK for a few years now.

The main issue with NI .iso files, is that often, the download is reported to have failed, and an error panel may appear saying Native Access must be closed. In actuality, the download does succeed, and the iso can be found and mounted, so the installer will be exposed for normal wine use.

The .iso will be in your .wine/drive_c/users/you/downloads folder, which in some distros will be a link to
/home/you/Downloads

I create a folder, /home/you/ni, and open an iso with the following command, that is all one line, despite kvr text formatting, with PolyPlex as example:

sudo mount -t udf /home/you/.wine/drive_c/users/you/Downloads/Polyplex.iso -o unhide /home/you/ni

The content of the iso will now be useable to wine to run the installer, from /home/you/ni

(I save the tedious (forgettable?) commands as textfiles for easy reference)
Hope this is useful! Pianobook has a trove of free Kontakt sounds, from 12 gig pianos, to twangy dulcimers to the immersive ethereals of all sorts.
Cheers

Hmmmm..... I'll have to think about it. I've got TAL-Sampler and Bliss for when I actually want to sample things. Truth be told, the things I would use Kontakt for would not be for sampling, but would be for using large pre-made sampled instruments that I'd actually want to buy.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Right now, LinuxSampler and Sfizz have been my Linux-Native go-to's for when I want to use pre-made sampled instruments. But, the amount and quality of available Kontakt sampled instruments is undeniable....

edit: there is now a linux version in my Ugritone downloads, will test soon!

@audiojunkie I saw you mentioned KVLT drums linux version, I bought the windows version when on sale a while back, this pic is the windows version wrapped by yabridge,
hosted in linux Reaper 6.35 in wine-staging 6.14 in Ubuntu Studio (ugraded sources.list to use the latest Ubuntu hirsute hippy repositories, not the default focal feces, or whatever it was called :wink:

The mp3 is made using UGO's now free Dualism playing these drums. It's found at free vst sites, bundled with the rather fine M-Theory synth. (but UGO is beavering away at Apple, as far as I know, a fine synthedit coder, and all-round nice guy, but snatched as part of the Camel Audio Team
kidnapped-for-kash buyout :dog: :hihi: )

Linux versions would be very welcome!

DualismPlaysKvlt.png
kvlt-dualized.mp3.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Got a linux KVLT going in AVLinux/Reaper. The plugin name appears in Reaper as 'Ugritone Drums'. It expects a file system like this:

/opt/Ugritone ...folder contains these folders:

KVLT Drums II Data contains samples
KVLT Drums II Original contains samples
OneShots
Presets

Quite a nice sound, and range of kits. Click on a kit piece
to open it's editor. etc I downloaded the linux parts and sounds archives from my Ugritone account, placed them where needed, and saw the paths above in the settings panel. Not bad for new and quite unofficial linux support! :hyper:

linuxKVLT22.jpg

(the mp3 above is default sound, no tweaks or other plugins...)

Oddly, the KVLT Riot Drums with fancier gui are working better in an older setup using the windows reaper 6.32 in AVLinux 19.3 with wine-staging 6.12

vs linux reaper 6.34 and wine-staging 6.14 in AVLinux
or Ubuntu Studio, where I tested KVLT II Drums.
Cheers

RiotDrums-KVLT.jpg

Kvr member Erisian posted about BabyDrummer, and I finally had a few moments to try it out, using the linux version of KLVT drums, effected by BlueCat's Axiom. Makes for a very nice trio,
and BabyDrummers random dice are a nice feature :hyper:

There is great suffering in the world, let's be sure to use the wonderful tools
we are blessed with, to make someone's life better :hyper:
This is Amplitube 4 in linux reaper 6.35, plugin wrapped by
yabridge 3.52, with an experimental wine 6.18 in the background.
(Wine versions 6.0 - 6.14 seem to be the ones seen as stable for
audio-vst work.)

A4-linuxReaper-wine6-18.png

The 20,000 views milestone, for lack of a better word, has been achieved.

20K at last.png

Thanks to all who have contributed, and I hope the posts here, and at the more general linux topic nearby, have been accurate and helpful.

The new linux pipewire media system is maturing, and gaining configuration tools, which will be crucial to it's possible broad acceptance. Pipewire is now a default in Fedora linux, where it benefits from the derivative relationship with Red Hat linux. So those interested might consider a secondary Fedora Jam installation as a gateway drug that doesn't risk existing setups.
Cheers

Got favorite tones in different ampsims? Just use them both,
and tweak the levels. Some rich Pleeny clean, with some
deep pitshifted Fender, in this case, in linux Reaper 6.38

Axiom-Amplitube-ganging-up.jpg

Just checked for a new Native Access, and I had to get the installer from the NI website, as the update that downloaded
couldn't find the existing version :hihi: Such is the way of OS foreigners getting lost in the sidestreets of Berlin's filesystems. :wink:

But the 'full' version worked, with Kontakt, Reaktor still in working order. Pretty amazing. with the coding complexities at every turn! :hyper:

Native-access-1.3.15.png

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”