HOWTO macOS notarization (plugins, app, pkg installers)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:58 pm Did you try this?

1. Sign App
2. Notarize App
3. Staple App
4. Zip App
its a plugin not an app. If you read the early instructions on this page it suggest plugins will need to be zipped to Notarize...more than happy to be told this is no longer required.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

So I see apple have created more ways to collectively waste all our time as we are now forced to move to notarytool from altool

Has anyone yet tried this? is it a drop in replacement for altool (i guess not, its never that easy with apple) if so any hints on what needs changing?
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am So I see apple have created more ways to collectively waste all our time as we are now forced to move to notarytool from altool

Has anyone yet tried this? is it a drop in replacement for altool (i guess not, its never that easy with apple) if so any hints on what needs changing?
It’s actually much easier now, you don’t need to create your own loop to wait for the notarization to finish.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I think notarytool isn't required until next 2023 fall but will update the main thread once there's enough info to document how to use it.

audiothing wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 am
newsonicarts wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am So I see apple have created more ways to collectively waste all our time as we are now forced to move to notarytool from altool

It’s actually much easier now, you don’t need to create your own loop to wait for the notarization to finish.
Good to know, but are the command line parameters the same or have changed much?
Last edited by newsonicarts on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:07 am I think notarytool isn't required until next 2023 fall but will update the main thread once there's enough info to document how to use it.
Ah ok, thats also good to know. I did see a date flash up but it didn't sink in it to my brain it was almost a year off.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

I am currently using BigSur for my builds, but I am using another old Mac with MacOS10.14 for notarisation. This way i am able to be still downward compatible to MacOS 10.12 while supporting the M1.
I assume downward compatibility will break (again...) as soon as we are forced to use notarytool?

Further observations that I rencently made:
Make sure that you do not use aliases in your .component or .vst files (the Steinberg VST3 SDK does this). This does not pass notarisation.

newsonicarts wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:17 amGood to know, but are the command line parameters the same or have changed much?
It's just two commands now:

Code: Select all

xcrun notarytool submit $YOURFILE --keychain-profile "AC_PASSWORD" --wait
xcrun stapler staple $YOURFILE
We save the output of the firt command to a file, then check the status, if it's "Accepted", we run the stapler.

You can also add a webhook and compared to the old method it seems the upload is much faster. Check this:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... n_workflow

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:01 am I am currently using BigSur for my builds, but I am using another old Mac with MacOS10.14 for notarisation. This way i am able to be still downward compatible to MacOS 10.12 while supporting the M1.
I assume downward compatibility will break (again...) as soon as we are forced to use notarytool?
Once again, you don't need an older macOS to support older macOS/OS X versions. We support down to OS X 10.9 and we build and notarize everything on one machine with macOS Monterey (12.3.1). You are just making everything unnecessarily complex.
No, downward compatibility is still the same with notarytool.

I've just upgraded to Ventura and you can only install Xcode 14 - which gives warnings about targeting earlier MacOS versions.
And someone has reported that forcing targeting on Xcode 14, to earlier OS produces errors for the latest OS.
So I can’t target to old MacOS at all, and I can’t install Xcode 13 on Ventura. DOH!

I guess I'm only targeting for the latest now.

quikquak wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:00 pm I've just upgraded to Ventura and you can only install Xcode 14 - which gives warnings about targeting earlier MacOS versions.
And someone has reported that forcing targeting on Xcode 14, to earlier OS produces errors for the latest OS.
So I can’t target to old MacOS at all, and I can’t install Xcode 13 on Ventura. DOH!

I guess I'm only targeting for the latest now.
Can you downgrade to Monterey? That should be safe to use at least for another year. Then it's time to drop 10.9 for good :)

Good grief Apple!
With 14.1, MacOs 10.13 was the earliest I could compile for!
I can't believe I have to install another operating system just to support customers! My Mac is getting dangerously close to going out the window... again. 😁

*sigh* I think I'm going to go with Apple's flow, and only target High Sierra onwards.
Passing Apple's fuckduggery straight down to the customer, which is what they want me to do, right?

quikquak wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm Good grief Apple!
I can't believe I have to install another operating system just to support customers! My Mac is getting dangerously close to going out the window... again. 😁
Does this hold for the xcode command line tools as well?

mystran wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:48 am
quikquak wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm Good grief Apple!
Does this hold for the xcode command line tools as well?
I don’t believe so. I’ve heard you can also run Xcode 13 from the terminal, so their barrier seems to be just cosmetic.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”