Linux Users, What's You Distro Experience?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:13 pm
dellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:18 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:23 am Did you check the laptop and components for Linux compatibility? Confirm that your parts are compatible with Linux.

What is the make and model of your laptop? What are the specs?
It's just an old Toshiba i3 that I had kicking around doing nothing, so I am using it to test various distros on. That, and a 256GB USB stick with Ventoy installed and many distros on it. Ventoy is a great little app for testing stuff. The trouble is that a lot of distros are not including a live ISO any more and have to be installed to test them.
What model of Toshiba is it?
It's a Toshiba Satellite C50. It's at the barest limit of Fedora requirements, I guess. I am not sure why you want to know this? I have zero intention of using it as a work machine. It's just to try various distros out on to see if I like the general GUI etc. My main laptop is a nine-month-old Lenovo Yoga 7 16 inch touchscreen which currently has Windows 11 installed. I do not intend to install Linux on that, but I do boot Linux from an external SSD successfully from it.

dellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:41 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:13 pm
dellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:18 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:23 am Did you check the laptop and components for Linux compatibility? Confirm that your parts are compatible with Linux.

What is the make and model of your laptop? What are the specs?
It's just an old Toshiba i3 that I had kicking around doing nothing, so I am using it to test various distros on. That, and a 256GB USB stick with Ventoy installed and many distros on it. Ventoy is a great little app for testing stuff. The trouble is that a lot of distros are not including a live ISO any more and have to be installed to test them.
What model of Toshiba is it?
It's a Toshiba Satellite C50. It's at the barest limit of Fedora requirements, I guess. I am not sure why you want to know this? I have zero intention of using it as a work machine. It's just to try various distros out on to see if I like the general GUI etc. My main laptop is a nine-month-old Lenovo Yoga 7 16 inch touchscreen which currently has Windows 11 installed. I do not intend to install Linux on that, but I do boot Linux from an external SSD successfully from it.
You’ve mentioned several problems with linux on it. I wanted to check compatibility to see what might be hanging you up. But, I guess it’s not too important. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”